PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Bike

tebok
November 10th, 2009, 12:10 PM
This was a question that paid off when I first got into riding so I'll ask it again:

What would you suggest is a good bike for a newbie?

I currently ride a 04 Ducati 749s on the street and love everything about it. Unfortunately Ducati parts (and virtually everything else involving these bikes) seem to be twice as much if not more than for the Jap bikes. I've been looking at mostly 00-04 GSXR600s and ZX6RRs in the $3-4k range.

Any input is much accepted.

chrobis
November 10th, 2009, 12:38 PM
If you are looking for a racebike: either a jap 600 4cyl or 650 2cyl- here is a fantastic deal: http://forums.mra-racing.org/viewtopic.php?t=9750; but there are others.

A 600 will give you eligibility in two novice races (U & O), two amateur sprint races , two endurance races, Sportsman, and if 10 years old or older, two modern vintage races. You will probably be the limiting factor - not the bike - for a while, so all that a 1000 would do is limit your eligibility. Same with newer.

Some will recommend a 650 twin, which would teach you more about cornering and will be cheaper to keep tires on, but which would be seriously down on power against the open bikes. There are some additional lightweight classes that the SVs are eligible for, but I'm not conversant in those.

Scored51
November 10th, 2009, 03:02 PM
Some will recommend a 650 twin, which would teach you more about cornering and will be cheaper to keep tires on, but which would be seriously down on power against the open bikes. There are some additional lightweight classes that the SVs are eligible for, but I'm not conversant in those.

Welcome to the forums tebok. The MRA does have classes specifically designed for small twins and "other than four cylinder" bikes. In any case, it is true an SV650 is generally easier on the wallet than any of the four cylinder bikes. Whatever you decide in the end to purchase remember only to race what you're willing to throw into a dumpster and light on fire at the end of the day. Odds are it won't happen, but millions of people play odds that are far worse in the lottery every day. It also doesn't hurt to be able to afford to take your girl out to dinner during the race season either. :wink:

bluedevil
November 11th, 2009, 09:12 AM
Welcome !!!

now let me think of where you could get a cheap race bike, that is fast enough to run up front, cheap enough to not break a wallet, and comes with darn near all the spares you would need to race all year and not buy anything but tires and fuel..... :wink: Oh I know I have one in the for sale forum :wink:

dragos13
November 11th, 2009, 09:19 AM
Welcome to the club!!!

I personally prefer the Yamaha R6. Great bike with tons of parts available.

Definitely keep it to a middleweight or lightweight bike. I think you are on the right path there. I started on a 99 R6 and couldn't be happier. Moved to an 03 R6, and now have an 06 R6. So you can see why I'm biased :)

Munch
November 11th, 2009, 09:50 AM
Sam has a nicely prepped race 749 for sale, get it and stay in the family!

Either way, welcome!

JWinter
November 29th, 2009, 10:11 PM
Tebok, what you choose to ride should be based on your goals and your pocketbook. First be realistic can you afford entry fees (average $250), a set of tires (average $300), race fuel, and transport costs each weekend?

4-cylinder bikes use tires and so do big twins. There is nothing wrong with racing a lightweight like an SV and there would be at least 4-6 classes you can race in. With an SV you will be down on horsepower to the 4-cylinders but, horsepower takes away from your skill development. Which leads into your goals; if you want to race long term and acquire the skills necessary a lightweight is the only choice. Valentino Rossi didn't start on a 600 or 1000.

I am willing to bet that 50% of new novices come into club level racing with the bigger is better attitude towards bike size. This is why that 50% of newbies don't last more than 3 seasons and they are done. You cannot win with horsepower...til you have won without horsepower.

Jeff

Jon
December 29th, 2009, 10:24 AM
Well said Jeff, I couldn't have actually said it any better myself!
Regardless, A well prepared SV or EX with suspension and basic prep can be suprisingly quick. Besides the expense of tires and fuel are much lower, you will be learning the dynamics of suspension, braking and body position. There's more to be learned with a year on a little bike than there is on a bigger/faster one and I'll bet you'd be suprised on just how far you'll run up into the 600's in the endurance race. I have seen quite a few riders downsize to the 650's and have a great time giving the 600's a fit by out braking them. So my suggestion would be go for the SV or EX, get your feet wet and make a decision on how much fun your having. You can always race your whole life through!