PDA

View Full Version : Safety Wire

OUTLAWD
October 16th, 2009, 11:33 AM
I am going over my 03 gsxr 750 track bike in the making this winter, and even though I may not make it onto a grid next season, I want to have the bike ready in the event that I feel comfortable enough on the track to race.

I guess I just want to clarify some items to be safety wired. I know this topic has probably been beaten to death, but a quick search didn't really answer my questions. The rules say anything that will drain fluid if it came undone. So far I have:

- banjo bolts
- oil drain plug
- fill caps (oil and radiator)
- oil filter

Does this include?
- H2O pump bolts
- water drain plugs in block

Also, the front axle has a sleeve nut, if you will, and I have read some things that were somewhat confusing reguarding it. The bolt side is flush, and the nut has only a small flange. I know I need the pinch bolts on both sides, but does it matter which side of the axle I safety wire ('bolt' or 'nut'), or should I do both?

I know it has to be 0.032" wire, and I thought I read somewhere that stipulated the material of the wire, but I could not find it again.

Finally, where is a good, read cheap, place to get decent pliers. I looked on McMaster Carr, and the auto-returning type were ~$80. is there anything possibly local-ish that might be cheaper?

Thanks!

- Dave

CO750
October 16th, 2009, 12:59 PM
Harbor Freight in FC has pliers at a good price, otherwise most online shops have them to order.

I have an '01 750 and I'd be willing to stop by sometime to show you everything that needs wired. I could probably take some pictures and send them if you are having trouble with a certain bolt.

dragos13
October 16th, 2009, 01:05 PM
Check here 8)

http://forums.mra-racing.org/viewtopic.php?t=6443

PM me if you need more help!

OUTLAWD
October 16th, 2009, 01:18 PM
gracias...evidently I did not search deep enough...

and right after I typed the OP I looked on harbor junk's cite. There is one across the street from me, I am headed there now.