PDA

View Full Version : velodrome racing, who's in?

marty
October 8th, 2009, 10:07 PM
http://www.boulderindoorcycling.com/Boulder-Velodrome-Cycling.aspx#

the next session opens up on oct 26. chris dale, justin meyer, luke from faster (who used to ride on austrailia's velo team) and myself can all attest to how fun indoor cycling is. chris has more pull than me so maybe if we can get enough newbies they will give us our own hour or at least an hour for us all to try it out. if not, i would be willing to do an into or intermediate class with someone who want to give it a whirl.

the bikes:
-fixed gear, no free spin. once you locked in, your on for the ride
-no brakes, like speedway without the motor :twisted:

benefits:
-bicycles are great cross training for roadracing, and velo racing is typically interval training
-help keep your eyes up to speed. you can easily get over 30mph and the turns are 45 degrees and very short
-good elbow to elbow racing
-fun, cause racin' is racin'
-teaches you how much camber changes to the track effect speed
-cheap. usually an entire 6 week session is only $80 bucks and all you have to bring is a helmet, and i stongly suggest pedal and shoes. bikes are included in your rental
-your wife or girl can do it with you. my wife is WAY faster than me and i used to be a 100m sprinter in high school
-the importance of drafting
-the importance of being smooth,
-and i'm sure a few others i can't think of just yet

turbohoje
October 8th, 2009, 10:39 PM
i might give the super novice grid a go. can you race on their bikes?

marty
October 8th, 2009, 11:01 PM
i might give the super novice grid a go. can you race on their bikes?
i think you can, bikes for the races are first come first serve. the classes are limited on how many folks can sign up, so you will always have a bike for rent

joe859
October 10th, 2009, 10:17 AM
I've been wondering what a fixie would be like. I think I need to find out...

So, you can bring your own pedals?

marty
October 10th, 2009, 02:28 PM
I've been wondering what a fixie would be like. I think I need to find out...

So, you can bring your own pedals?
yep, i would highly suggest bringing your shoes, pedals, helmet, and some glasses. you can use their toe clips but it is too easy to case out. don't ask how i know

Sprtbkbabe
October 16th, 2009, 03:01 PM
I'm in! Chris has been talking me into it for a couple o months now :)

Scored51
October 16th, 2009, 05:16 PM
Hey Guys,

Here is the link to the just release Winter I session for the velodrome. http://boulderindoorcycling.com/docs/09_Fall_Winter_Track_Schedule.pdf

If you'd like to try it out before committing to an 8 week session, give me a call and we'll try to get an "MRA" group together for an introductory hour. As Marty said, bikes are available at no extra charge. If you have shoes & pedals (from a road bike), shorts, jersey, cycling gloves I highly recommend bringing them. Helmets, of course, are mandatory.

This is a real blast, and believe me it is every bit as fun and challenging as a motorcycle. My cell is (303)903-5420.

sikwitit
October 18th, 2009, 08:27 PM
If there is no money needed I'm def in. The gym is dope but I need something new. I love cycling. I grew up on bikes and I'm in great shape. Me likey, likey

Wesley
wgseems@yahoo.com

marty
October 24th, 2009, 06:17 PM
i just spoke to the folks at the velodrome and the fee for a one time trial is only $25. all you would need is a cheap walmart bike helmet and they supply the rest. currently sunday at 6pm is completely open, anyone want to go up just to try it out? the first class would be next sunday

marty
October 24th, 2009, 06:49 PM
just heard from hot carl, and he and his wife are down. that brings the total up to 4 with me and my wife

Sprtbkbabe
October 26th, 2009, 11:44 AM
I signed up for a Tues 8 week class - what the hell Go for it. Only day I could make it/classes filling fast. Although, if after class 1 I decide it's not the thing for me (I've heard most road riders tend to have a dislike for velos), I'll let ya know :wink:

Also, you have to bring your own pedals. (I picked up a used set at Velo swap for 6 bucks this weekend) The bike shops may have used sets on hand if no one wants to remove their own from their current bike

Scored51
October 26th, 2009, 02:58 PM
(I've heard most road riders tend to have a dislike for velos), I'll let ya know :wink:

That's because they don't know how to properly ride their road bikes. Since there is less mechanical advantage (brakes, multiple gears, freewheel) the rider needs to do more with his/her brain on a track bike. :shock:

Excellent work Siobban! I think you're going to have a lot of fun.

Sprtbkbabe
October 27th, 2009, 09:42 PM
Holy shmoly you guys gotta try the velo. The fixed gear thing took me half a class to just get used to. Once you get going on the banking, that's a whole new madness.

You feel like a gyroscope at first :lol:

Scored51
October 28th, 2009, 11:44 AM
HAHAHAHAHA! I told you so... I'm glad you're having fun, and it sure beats the weight room and a stationary trainer in the basement when the weather gets to bein' the way it is now.

If anyone else wants to give it a try, you don't need to commit to an entire eight weeks. There are intro classes that are just an hour long that will get you on track and you're almost guaranteed to smile.