PDA

View Full Version : Thanks for Nomination for PRES

polar x
September 29th, 2009, 12:28 PM
I want to say thank you for the nomination for President.

My name is Chris Coonshead and I have been with the club since 2005. I was a helper with the air fence my first year without compensation, then for the next 2 years I was on the air fence crew. Over the last 2 years I have been the air fence captain. In that position I was able to get the club 4 brand new airbags to replace the used ones that the club bought from the AMA years ago. I was able to do that with out cost to the club by thinking outside the box and dealing with people who were more concerned about our safety than the cost, by offering a service which was beneficial to them and in return we get the usage of the air fence purchased for our protection. Thanks go to the Hendry's of use age Boulder Motorsports and Joe Logalbo and the Gene safety fund.

I walked thru the pits at the last HPR race and asked several of you about what you wanted from your next president. The top three things, in order, were these.
1. A more open and friendly board
2. A continued effort in the PR campaign. Done at each race event.
3. A better effort by the club to bring new novices in and retain the novices we have.

To address the first one I would start by asking at the riders meetings who is new to the group or from out of town and what we can do, as a club, to make your race day campaign and fun. I would ask the group what they want to see changed or done differently. Not just those that are at the races but those that have been gone from our group for the last few years. I feel that the experts are the backbone to this club and their wisdom and support is needed for our club to survive. But we can not forget that it is the novice racer who will get this club to grow again and be a strong and viable entity in the future and as such they are our customers and we need to cater to them. We need to help them be successful in our sport. I noticed that many novices were all by themselves in the pits. What does that say about our group? It tells me that we need to be more open and welcoming to them. We need to offer to them a product that is staffed with volunteers (experts, successful) who will let them pit by them, answer questions and take them by the hand thru the process of what it takes to race with our club. From registration to tech to pit set up and safety. A watchful eye on their bike and gear that could keep them safe on the track. And if they are safer on the track then we as group are safer too.

Number 2 and 3 kinda support each other. The PR campaign and novice retention.
Jim Wilson and Donna Bowden have done great things for getting the PR campaign moving forward. I think we should support that effort by offering campaign to those that are supporting our club and recognize them for it. Those efforts bring new people to our club and exposure for the MRA. We should continue "selling" ourselves at places like dealerships, motorcycles shows, recognize events, radio and TV exposure as well as local track day events. I think the track day rider is a large market for novice recruitment for our group and we need to develop something that allows them to experience the race environment and get their feet wet with out the huge cost and commitment of jumping in with both feet. A special class, or a MRA sponsored "track day race" something that allows the average track day rider a chance to taste the excitement and fun that we all share in by racing with the MRA.

I am glad to see that there are many people on the ballet, that shows the club cares and wants to see some change. I think the club needs to have change in all the position and get away from the good ole boy stigma. I believe that each person should and WILL BE accountable for the duties that their position holds and if they can't do it then they need to step down and let someone who will. A president should ask WHY we are doing this or that, not TELL the group we are doing this and that. The president should be the voice of ALL not the path of one.

A vote for any of the those running is a vote for change and in that you can not go wrong. Change is a good thing and I support change. I truly believe that the best thing you can do to help this club is VOTE. whether you VOTE for me or the other qualified candidates, PLEASE GET OUT THERE AND VOTE.

It shows support for the club and I hope that you will support me for President in that endeavor.