PDA

View Full Version : Rule Change: Qualifying for ROR GTU and GTO

dragos13
September 28th, 2009, 11:32 AM
I would like to propose qualifying for the RORU and RORO classes. I believe we could fit in one qualifying session per class during Sunday morning practice. Since there is not anything in the rulebook about this I was curious about what all I need to post.

Currently Utah SBA have qualifying for their premier class King of the Mountain and they have the session right after normal Sunday morning practice and just prior to racing.

The purpose of this rule would be to entice more interest into our premier class, increase grid sizes, allow people who are low in points (missed a round, mechanical, never raced ROR before, etc) to start where they are placed based on times. I think this might help us grow the premier class, instead of cutting payouts or combining grids.

Jim, if you need me to write up a specific rule please let me know. I'm sure there will need to be some tweaking done to even have this as a possibility.

Opinion? Pros? Cons?

dragos13
September 28th, 2009, 11:35 AM
Here is what the Utah rulebook says:

7.1.2 KoM grids will be determined by race event qualifying. If race
event qualifying is not able to take place or is cancelled, KoM
grids will be determined as described below in section 7.1.3.
It is the responsibility of each rider to qualify with the correct
group and on the correct motorcycle. Racers that qualify in
the wrong group will be placed at the back of the grid for the
race. Racers who qualify on a motorcycle that is determined
to be non-class-legal for the class qualifying, will be
disqualified for that race.
7.1.3 For non-qualifying classes, grids shall be determined as
follows:
1 Pre-entered riders, based on current points
2 Pre-entered riders without points in order of entry
3 Post-entered riders by order of entry

snay
September 28th, 2009, 02:58 PM

follows:
3 Post-entered riders by order of entry =D>

snay
September 28th, 2009, 03:01 PM

follows:
3 Post-entered riders by order of entry =D> I think the $$$ race should have qualifying!!!!

hcr25
September 28th, 2009, 03:28 PM
Dont get my wrong i like the idea but ROR is not necessarily the money race. ROR pays $600 to win. The manufacturers pay anywhere from $1000 to $2000 for a win.

ROR O is considered the premier race and it is how you the #1 plate is earned but really the money race of the weekend.

Racers chasing money might think qualifying for the contingency money classes might be more important.

I like qualifying, I have done it in several clubs and it does build excitement.
Mike

snay
September 28th, 2009, 04:56 PM
Dont get my wrong i like the idea but ROR is not necessarily the money race. ROR pays $600 to win. The manufacturers pay anywhere from $1000 to $2000 for a win.

ROR O is considered the premier race and it is how you the #1 plate is earned but really the money race of the weekend.

Racers chasing money might think qualifying for the contingency money classes might be more important.

I like qualifying, I have done it in several clubs and it does build excitement.
MikeIll back out of this one till I'm a part of the race my bad! till 2011

DOUBLE A
September 28th, 2009, 08:10 PM
NAH, GOOD for ROR I think, and NO where else....we don't need to make it any easier for the money chasers in the other contigency race classes.

dragos13
September 29th, 2009, 06:08 AM
NAH, GOOD for ROR I think, and NO where else....we don't need to make it any easier for the money chasers in the other contigency race classes.

The main reason we can't do it for all classes is because we would then no longer have morning practice. It would be morning qualifying. That rule suggestion has been brought up in the past with no luck.

After seeing how they run things in Utah, I thought it looked like a fun way to bring a little more excitement to the ROR classes :D We would only need to get two extra morning sessions, and it will help alot of us experience how things work at bigger race events.

Scored51
September 29th, 2009, 09:04 AM
Casey,

In recent years, and after the demise of Second Creek, we haven't had the need to run heat races. Nor has this been an issue at High Plains since we've started more than 50 bikes on a grid already. However, I'm hoping that the club will regrow to the point where the fields will be filled and the possibility of having to run heat races at Pueblo or PPIR.

So here is my question (in several parts): IF the qualifying sessions were to take the place of the provisional heat races in the race day schedule, would you also be in favor of setting grid limits in the other classes? OR would you be in favor of lengthening the race day in order to accommodate the heats. Additionally, for those who don't make the grid through a heat race would be propose to keep a consolation race (i.e. sportsman) or simply say, "sorry better luck next time."

I don't mean to pick on you personally and I like the idea of qualifying (could make me a popular guy :D ), but I just want everyone to start thinking about the ripple affects some of these suggestions may have and how we can implement them on the race schedule.

gixxermike
September 29th, 2009, 09:12 AM
Additionally, for those who don't make the grid through a heat race would be propose to keep a consolation race (i.e. sportsman) or simply say, "sorry better luck next time."

Or make an option for the racer as a paid credit for the next race weekend....

dragos13
September 29th, 2009, 09:14 AM
Chris, I do hope the club will grow to be in need of heat races, however, in the 3 years I have raced with the club this hasn't happened. I'm not saying lets ditch heat races as they could be needed in the future. I'm just suggesting we add two qualifying sessions, one for GTU and one for GTO. They would be 15 minutes each and I'm sure that can be worked into the schedule. Currently, I say set it up in place of the heat races for now and if it needs changed we can do so at that time.

I hate to avoid the idea due to a possibility that hasn't occured in 3 years. Dont worry about picking on me either, I can take the heat from anyone on these topics. This is simply my idea, if it doesnt fit into the club, or most people oppose it, then life will still continue :D

DOUBLE A
September 29th, 2009, 10:55 AM

The main reason we can't do it for all classes is because we would then no longer have morning practice. It would be morning qualifying. That rule suggestion has been brought up in the past with no luck.

After seeing how they run things in Utah, I thought it looked like a fun way to bring a little more excitement to the ROR classes :D We would only need to get two extra morning sessions, and it will help alot of us experience how things work at bigger race events.

I agree completlry with you man, just no qualifying in anything but RoR

dragos13
September 29th, 2009, 11:14 AM

Absolutely bro, this is for ROR GTU and GTO ONLY! No other classes would have qualifying under this rule.

I'm just hoping to add some spark back into our premier classes (plus it would be FUN AS HELL!!!) 8)

PremiumBlend
September 29th, 2009, 11:44 AM

Absolutely bro, this is for ROR GTU and GTO ONLY! No other classes would have qualifying under this rule.

I'm just hoping to add some spark back into our premier classes (plus it would be FUN AS HELL!!!) 8)

I agree with both Casey and Double A. If for nothing else, you want to only race the RoR class due to financial reasons or whatever, at least you can grid by how fast you are and not be punished because you missed a couple of race weekends.

And I agree with Double A because if you are competing for a championship you should be rewarded for showing up for every race. And if you just show up, grid well, and do well but don't show up next weekend that's just not fair to the guys who make the race weekends consistently.

IF heat quals do end up becoming part of the main classes and not just RoR... maybe racers could be awarded bonus points for the # of races that individual rider partakes in a given season. Just an idea...

polar x
September 29th, 2009, 12:48 PM
Casey the idea is sound but frankly I don't see a need for it. Having raced in RORO I saw the money chasers and the regulars. The chasers have a bike and ability that puts them right up front by turn 1 and then they are gone with Brad, Josh, Clarkie, Otis, and the like. I have started last and in the middle. It made no difference in my finishing position. I have been top 10 for the season and had number 8 and 9 for the season's with a blown engine one race and crashed out in others. Qualifying would not have helped or hurt me.

If the grids were 30-40 bikes I could see it helping the fast guys. But we dont have that problem yet.

Just my opinion as a RORO racer.

dragos13
September 29th, 2009, 01:02 PM
Casey the idea is sound but frankly I don't see a need for it. Having raced in RORO I saw the money chasers and the regulars. The chasers have a bike and ability that puts them right up front by turn 1 and then they are gone with Brad, Josh, Clarkie, Otis, and the like. I have started last and in the middle. It made no difference in my finishing position. I have been top 10 for the season and had number 8 and 9 for the season's with a blown engine one race and crashed out in others. Qualifying would not have helped or hurt me.

If the grids were 30-40 bikes I could see it helping the fast guys. But we dont have that problem yet.

Just my opinion as a RORO racer..

Hey Chris, thanks for you input, its greatly appreciated!

I am not writting this rule in any sense for the money chasers. That was brought up by another member and I just commented on his point. I agree that money chasers will get up front no matter where they start and this has nothing to do with them.

It was an idea of mine because qualifying has always been interesting. I supported qualifying for all classes in years past, but that idea has never made it past the discussion table. After seeing that Utah does this only for their premier class, I thought it would help add some spark and interest into the ROR classes.

The only need I'm trying to address is the need for more riders on the grid. I came up with this idea and wanted to see how the rest of the club views it. Thanks for your input and please keep the comments coming!

PremiumBlend
September 29th, 2009, 01:18 PM
Does it cost money to enter RoR on top of entry fees?

dragos13
September 29th, 2009, 01:23 PM

Yes $40 GTU and $50 GTO surcharge.

PremiumBlend
September 29th, 2009, 02:12 PM

Yes $40 GTU and $50 GTO surcharge.

And that money goes towards the payouts correct?

dragos13
September 29th, 2009, 02:15 PM
And that money goes towards the payouts correct?

Yes, it goes towards the purse payout however does not cover all of it.

polar x
September 29th, 2009, 08:01 PM
I thought that was your main point Casey, and I actually agree with you on it. It is just the time issue and grid size that (for now) is the problem. Personally I don't see how it will add to the grids, but it sure as hell wont hurt to try it. :lol: And it would be better to try and fail then to not try and wonder. And if it works...ALL THE BETTER!!!

Just keep helping those novices!!!

clowe
October 12th, 2009, 09:59 AM
All,

Here is a really simple idea. If you are racing in ROR U or ROR O, you should be out there practicing in expert Med or expert Fast (I actually think if you are racing in ROR and are not in expert Fast there is something wrong). Why don't we just make the last session of expert Med and expert Fast practice on Sunday morning Qualifying? If you miss that session they you are gridded at the back of the grid. This would be so easy and you wouldn't have to make a new session or change the schedule at all. I am all for qualifying but let's just add it to what we are doing and make this really easy.

Thoughts???

T Baggins
October 12th, 2009, 10:02 AM
even easier...

why not make the practice sessions

nov slow
nov fast
expert slow
expert med
ROR - ONLY ROR competitors can practice in this one

then you could take the best time of the ROR practice sessions, in case you miss the last one.

hcr25
October 12th, 2009, 10:13 AM
even easier...

nov slow
nov fast
expert slow
expert med

then you could take the best time of the ROR practice sessions, in case you miss the last one.

Thats the winner right there.

dragos13
October 12th, 2009, 10:17 AM
even easier...

nov slow
nov fast
expert slow
expert med

Thats the winner right there.

I'm all for that. Would that mean that both expert fast practices on Sunday are for ROR qualifying? Or would we just assign the final expert practice that way?

benfoxmra95
October 12th, 2009, 10:42 AM
I am for the lottery system where, Dale takes your best time from a practice session he chooses. and it's random.

this way it will keep some people from throwing on new tires, since they won't know when to put them on.

and lets say you go slow all day long and have mechanical problems and just generally suck that weekend, then you get a "provisional" where you can use your best time from the last race weekend. as long as its the from the same track.