PDA

View Full Version : is there an end of the season banquet?

ryan
September 16th, 2009, 07:53 PM
HAvent seen any topics about this yet?

Tony hijacks the thread...

Please go here:

http://forums.mra-racing.org/viewtopic.php?t=9517

T Baggins
September 17th, 2009, 08:18 AM
The board is currently discussing this. We're trying to figure out how to do it, still have decent trophies for the very deserving champions and runners up - and not dip into the money we absolutely need to put down deposits for the track rentals next year...

I'll start a poll about what everyone would be willing to pay to attend the banquet this year.

http://forums.mra-racing.org/viewtopic.php?t=9517

chris nami
September 17th, 2009, 08:29 AM
find a big room and lets go pot luck! the Junkyard would be willing to get some food and a few kegs... i realize it takes a little more than that to put one of these things on... but not much. :P

dragos13
September 17th, 2009, 11:39 AM
I do hope that the normal year end plaques will still be given out.

With that said, I'm all for a potluck/BBQ/liquid dinner Brownie style 8)

bluedevil
September 17th, 2009, 02:23 PM
I do hope that the normal year end plaques will still be given out.

With that said, I'm all for a potluck/BBQ/liquid dinner Brownie style 8)

ME TOO !!!!!! If no banquette at least that much !!

Im totally down for a slim down less fancy version. Get a room at Country Buffet or some place, and let us buy our own way in. We pay to eat, and still get to talk shop and get a plaque.

(Side bar) I thought the class sponsors paid for plaques anyway.. Arent there only a few that have no sponsor that the MRA would be out of pocket for?

T Baggins
September 17th, 2009, 03:04 PM
(Side bar) I thought the class sponsors paid for plaques anyway.. Arent there only a few that have no sponsor that the MRA would be out of pocket for?

well....... sort of. The class sponsors pay between $500 and $800, depending on the class (more for ROR) to "sponsor the class" for the season - which they pay at the beginning of the season. Not all of the classes got sponsored this year - or were sponsored mid-season at a discount.

From that we have to cover the costs of:

Season Trophies ~ $530 per class (9 rounds of trophies made this year)
Sponsor Passes ~ $100 per class (2 passes @ $50 value)
Banquet Tix ~ $40 - $120 per class (depending on what we charge for the banquet)

so between $670 and $750 per class is already "spent" from the money we receive.

That doesn't begin to cover the costs of the banquet trophies which, with the photos for the plaques and all, are an additional $5500 or more. It would be an average of an add'l $240 per class (assuming all were sponsored) if the sponsorship completely covered the cost of the banquet trophies as well...

We put their names on the end of year plaques as an "appreciation" for their support throughout the year - but technically they don't "pay" for them.

In any event, all the money goes into a big pot and we pull from there. We don't hold class sponsor money aside specifically. Having to chose at this point between spending money on trophies, banquet, etc... vs having a 2010 race season is pretty easy. See ya in 2010! :lol:

Seriously though, this is why we're soliciting input from the members to see exactly "what kind of banquet" we can pull off. You all deserve to be recognized, and the banquet is a great way to close the season. Now we just gotta figure out how much banquet we can afford.

hcr25
September 17th, 2009, 03:04 PM
The amount of money paid to sponsor a class does not cover the cost of the trophies, let alone the end of the year awards.

bluedevil
September 17th, 2009, 03:20 PM
thanks for some hard numbers Ton. I for sue could care less about food and fancy hotels now. Is Brownie's basement/garage booked that night? :roll:

Throttleroller277
September 17th, 2009, 03:46 PM
Is Brownie's basement/garage booked that night? :roll:

The mini "Brown Palace" just happens to be free that night!!! Open to all :lol: 8)

Bring the wife Tony! :-(0) :shock:

dragos13
September 18th, 2009, 06:16 AM
thanks for some hard numbers Ton. I for sue could care less about food and fancy hotels now. Is Brownie's basement/garage booked that night? :roll:

Yeah, to me the big banquet with all you can eat salmon and stuff is nice. But the night ends and thats that. I personally would want the plaques more then anything. I hope the club can continue to honor us with the same plaques as in previous years. Its something I take pride in, and its about all I have after the season other then a busted bike, worn out body, and empty bank account. It gives a sense of acheivement for a long season of roadracing.

T Baggins
September 18th, 2009, 08:19 AM
I hope the club can continue to honor us with the same plaques as in previous years. Its something I take pride in, and its about all I have after the season other then a busted bike, worn out body, and empty bank account. It gives a sense of acheivement for a long season of roadracing.

Obviously we'll do the best we can, but honestly it all depends on you guys.

I believe what your comment really means "I hope the members will honor one another by attending the banquet and accepting a reasonable fee for the banquet so that we can all enjoy decent awards and a great time at a nice facility..."

Yeah, I think that's what you meant. :wink:

dragos13
September 18th, 2009, 09:01 AM
I am really excited about the idea of lower costs for banquet tickets. I think that should really help getting more people then just the ones receiving awards.

Sounds like its going to be a great time as usual!