PDA

View Full Version : Novice Hours

rybo
September 15th, 2009, 09:25 AM
There has been some discussion in the round 8 results thread regarding novice hours, keeping points and being able to see your results for future years.

I'd like to open a discussion regarding Novice hours, the value of them, and how to handle them in the future.

1) I'm personally not a fan of the "buy off your novice hours" plan going forward. I see it's value in 2009, but think it was a stop gap measure at best.

2) I think that Novice hours have a value in creating an idea of community. In another thread Tony mentions that it is a 90/10 ratio of "consumers" of the MRA vs. "community members" of the MRA, and I agree, but instead of catering to the idea of the consumer, I'd rather see an approach where we bolstered the idea of the community member. In the end if the steps we take make this sport MORE expensive in $$ then we will lose consumers as a result.

3) Maybe we've been approaching the novice hours problem from the wrong end. Service to the club can come in many forms. A lot of these can be away from the racetrack on race weekend, and some can take place during the weekend, but not during the race day. Some ideas that come to mind.

- Working on the PR committee to spread the word about our events at bike nights, shops and other social gatherings. Young/new members are often the most enthusiastic about racing. Let's make that enthusiasm contagious to the outside community.

- Filling the gap where the air fence crew is going to leave a void. With a race tentatively scheduled for PPIR next year, there is easily a need for a large air fence contingent at that event. I also hope that we continue to plan to use the air fence at Pueblo for the 2 events tentatively scheduled there.

These are two ideas for ways to utilize novice hours in the 19 seconds I've been thinking about it. There are hundreds more ways in the off season, from helping at the banquet (which I believe will be more staff intensive on the MRA side this year) to calling existing members after license packets go out for 2010 and encouraging them to sign up and race with us again.

This kind of "personal" contact is what makes it FEEL like a community to the members. Will it work? Who knows, but it is my belief that there is a stronger chance of someone saying "YES" if they are asked in person (or over the phone) than if you just send them a packet of information. The same is true of the novice hours. As a community we should be talking to our new members as much as possible, reaching out to them instead of making them come to us. (but that is a different topic for a different time)

Thoughts?

Scott

DOUBLE A
September 15th, 2009, 04:16 PM
I vote if you wasted everyones time 'not that you did', but if you are now a novice that missed the deadline to pay / work etc. for the year to see your places and such & not be fogotten then at the MRA Banquet you have to wear a itsy bitsy bikini and stand up at the mic & tell everyone what for...then pay your $50! LOL :shock:

phildrummond
September 17th, 2009, 05:45 PM
Scott-

When the rules relaxed enough to let other people novice hours for a novice, we lost sight of one advantage to having them work their 4 hours. They'd get a glimpse of what a corner worker does all day for the racer.

Keep in mind, I'm about a 50/50 racer worker. That said, I've found it personally valuable to work. I agree with encouraging the novices to actually work the hours. They become part of something bigger than their pits and they learn a thing or two. Granted, it takes a day or so to become proficient but at least they're a set of eyes on the track with a radio.

Kate has a story of a RACER who came to work his hours with her and said, "I don't really even know what all these flags are for." WTF?! And I'm on the track with that guy? He needs to work his hours to get a "crash" course in flags, if nothing else.

marty
September 17th, 2009, 06:13 PM
When the rules relaxed enough to let other people novice hours for a novice, we lost sight of one advantage to having them work their 4 hours. They'd get a glimpse of what a corner worker does all day for the racer.

+1

He needs to work his hours to get a "crash" course in flags, if nothing else.

+1

racedk6
September 17th, 2009, 07:45 PM
I for one am not a fan of having novice racers corner work for their hours.

For reasons I believe Tony said before about it. Also because there was no way I personally wanted to stand in a corner on a hot day before I raced. For me it takes away the fun I have being at the track with my friends. We race for a reason and it all starts with having fun. Why would I invite my friends to come and watch me race if I cant even spend time with them in the pits and walk around with them and explain what its all about. I personally would rather pay for my "corner working hours" so that either the club or another corner worker could benefit from it(By getting paid more).

I am a fan of letting novices explore othe means of helping the club out to do their novice hours. Even if it is showing up to 4 general meetings during the year. If they do that they will have some insight on what is going on in OUR club.

dragos13
September 18th, 2009, 06:10 AM
I think Scott has some great ideas about alternate options for getting your hours done. Like he mentioned, promoting the club at various shops the week before race events. Handing out fliers, working in the office for the board, helping with air fence, etc. There are plenty of ways a novice can contribute to the club, and I hope working the corner also stays as an option. Some people might be having a real hard time with, say corner 6 at HPR. What better way then to stand out there during expert races and see how the really fast guys get through. Lets not take away options, but rather add them. If going to a bike night event, promoting the MRA is your thing then do it.

Also, let novices come up with ways to work their hours. I think we have a great group of novices and I'm sure they can be creative in ways to contribute to the club.

T Baggins
September 18th, 2009, 08:24 AM
Even if it is showing up to 4 general meetings during the year. If they do that they will have some insight on what is going on in OUR club.

I would support this as an option for Novice hours for sure. Far too many racers (experts & novices alike) have no idea what's going on in and with the club - AND this would give them a chance to mingle with racers/riders who they might not otherwise hang out with.

rybo
September 18th, 2009, 08:55 AM
I am a fan of letting novices explore othe means of helping the club out to do their novice hours. Even if it is showing up to 4 general meetings during the year. If they do that they will have some insight on what is going on in OUR club.

Steve,

This is a great idea.

Lets not take away options, but rather add them. If going to a bike night event, promoting the MRA is your thing then do it.

Also, let novices come up with ways to work their hours. I think we have a great group of novices and I'm sure they can be creative in ways to contribute to the club.

Casey,

I agree with the sentiment that we should be providing MORE ways for people to be involved, not less. Thanks for finding the right words.