PDA

View Full Version : Race Trailer Inspections

Throttleroller277
September 8th, 2009, 10:58 AM
Everyone please check out their trailers for possible safety issues....cracks, axles, frames, tongue, etc...

We were getting ready to head out to Miller this weekend, and on the way to pick up Dragos Friday morning.....the tongue on my trailer snapped off!!! :shock: ... fortunately no one got hurt or and other cars, or the stuff inside. but it could have been nasty!!

My trailer is a Forest River/Work and Play..... but regardless of the make.....

Please check out your trailers before something bad happens.

kitten
September 8th, 2009, 11:10 AM
I'm glad everything went as well as it could have and everyone's ok.

I just had to have my axle brackets rewelded as they had faulty welds. So just to second what Jeff says, inspect your trailers!

PremiumBlend
September 8th, 2009, 11:15 AM
Man, you've had a pretty rough couple of weeks.

hcr25
September 8th, 2009, 12:21 PM
Where are the pictures? :shock:

Glad you are ok my friend

benfoxmra95
September 8th, 2009, 12:43 PM
You should contact the manufacture of your trailer.

Let them know of this failure as it may be a design fault.

Luckily you were ok but someone else with the same trailer may not be so lucky or someone around them.

Take it easy brown sorry for all the carnage in your life the past couple weeks.

hcr25
September 8th, 2009, 01:17 PM
I think there are 2 or 3 more work and play trailers in our club at least

Throttleroller277
September 8th, 2009, 02:12 PM
Yeah, Marty just bought the same one, and I know Moham has one.

I talked to the Manufacturer, and they "sub" out their frames, so now I need to call the frame builder.

It definitely was a manufacturing problem. When they welded the tongue/A-frame, they "blew" through the tubing (only 1/16" thick wall !!), on both sides of the A-frame, which is where the weak spot started.

Jim 'smooth' Brewer
September 8th, 2009, 02:25 PM
Also make a good inspection of your tires very often. Most "ST" (special trailer) tires are absolute crap and will go to pot in a couple years or so.

I did some extensive research on tires before getting some new ones for my toy hauler. Almost unanimously there were recommendations *against* buying ST tires - most of which aren't rated >65mph .. most aren't even DOT rated.

I ended up buying Michelin XPS RIBs. http://www.michelinman.com/tires/light-truck/xps-rib/. They're more expensive, but cheaper than trashing your trailer.

PremiumBlend
September 8th, 2009, 02:36 PM
Most any DOT rated trailer tire will do, and if your rim can fit it try getting a small truck tire that has at least a "C" rating. Then you shouldn't have to worry for a long time. :)

Desmodromico
September 8th, 2009, 03:48 PM
Jeff, did you walk under a ladder or see a black cat recently?

hcr25
September 8th, 2009, 03:52 PM

He walked under the ladder to pet the cat, you dont know jeff very well :)

PremiumBlend
September 8th, 2009, 04:04 PM

He walked under the ladder to pet the cat, you dont know jeff very well :)

Shortly after he smashed a mirror and called it a day. :)

nwatkins176
September 8th, 2009, 04:44 PM
Jeff, I know you might be hating Forest River now, and possibly r6's, but here you go.

http://forums.mra-racing.org/viewtopic.php?t=9451

Ohh and there is only one mirror in the trailer that can possibly get broken so you are good there.