PDA

View Full Version : Help with R6 / wont charge battery

dragos13
August 18th, 2009, 07:17 AM
My R6 is having trouble charging the battery. Here is the history:

Last race weekend bike wouldn't start. Battery was dead. Bump started and made about 2 laps until the tach turned off and then the bike died. Brought the bike in and found one lead on the rectifier was melted (lead was for one of the three white wires coming from stator). Also was showing check engine light with code 46. I swapped the stator and rectifier and the weekend finished with no issues.

Last Sunday I went to the Chicane day and again had a dead battery. Bump start and made about 1 lap before bike shut off. Again, had check engine light and code 46. This time it was the negative lead at the rectifier that was melting.

So, I have swapped stator and rectifier. Last night I tested the stator resistance per manual and it was good. Also tested the output of the rectifier and showed 14V at 5000 RPM (per manual). Continuity for stator and rectifier wires tested good also.

Anyone have any ideas? I'm thinking maybe there is a short somewhere that is draining the battery. Could be the reason its dead before each session? I have a multimeter but just not sure what else to check. Should I swap wire harness? ECU? All help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance guys!!

Case of beer (or whatever you drink) for the person with the correct answer 8)

702kmh
August 18th, 2009, 07:37 AM
Have you tested the battery?

dragos13
August 18th, 2009, 07:43 AM
Yeah battery is around 13V when its fully charged and disconnected. It does drop a bit once i hook the positive and negative cables up. Any idea if that is normal?

EDIT: If the battery was bad, wouldn't the bike still run after a bump start?

Throttleroller277
August 18th, 2009, 08:06 AM
I am having the EXACT same issues with one of my R6's... can't figure it out!!!!!! 8)

dragos13
August 18th, 2009, 08:16 AM
I am having the EXACT same issues with one of my R6's... can't figure it out!!!!!! 8)

:cry:

So the manual says to check the wire harness. Any idea what I am checking? Would I just test resistance with an Ohm meter?

Throttleroller277
August 18th, 2009, 08:20 AM
Yeah I guess so?...... At this point I'm thinking about getting a new harness......?

On that note...you are running the stock harness that I gave you earlier this season, right?...if so that harness is virtually brand new, as it was only used for one season, then it was replaced with a kit harness.

Ahhgggg!!!

dragos13
August 18th, 2009, 09:31 AM
yeah thats the harness I have on it right now. been working fine for half the season. I might just throw back on the old one to try and eliminate some things. good luck with yours brownie, keep me posted if you find anything and i'll do the same.

Jon
August 18th, 2009, 12:47 PM
just measure the continuity through the wires to check for shorts otherwise I'd suggest Marv Rosencrans at Rocky Mountain Kawasaki as he's a genius with electrical diagnosis

dragos13
August 18th, 2009, 12:50 PM
just measure the continuity through the wires to check for shorts otherwise I'd suggest Marv Rosencrans at Rocky Mountain Kawasaki as he's a genius with electrical diagnosis

Thanks Jon, I have a digital multimeter now so I will test that tonight. Thanks also for the referral.

Jon
August 18th, 2009, 02:12 PM
I am not by the way sponsored in any fashion by RMK but I was a certified Yamaha Technician from 93-95 since then I've found craftier ways to earn my keep. I know Marv can figure out things I couldn't and he's for sure one of the best. Best of luck as electrical gremlins can make you pull your hair out....at least that's what happened to me :?

snay
August 18th, 2009, 02:23 PM
good luck

turbohoje
August 19th, 2009, 12:36 PM
when it runs, does your regulator make any unusual heat?

dragos13
August 19th, 2009, 12:40 PM
the first one was really hot when we pulled it off. of course it had a severely melted connection. when i put the new one on, it never got really hot. just like normal temp you would expect.

any ideas?