PDA

View Full Version : Be Careful With Brake Cleaner!

The GECCO
August 12th, 2009, 06:36 PM
Seriously...

http://www.brewracingframes.com/id75.htm

phildrummond
August 12th, 2009, 07:10 PM
That's crazy. And to think someone can carry 3 oz of brake cleaner and a lighter on a plane...

benfoxmra95
August 12th, 2009, 10:10 PM
Eff me, I am very lucky indeed.

Good find glenn.

You must have plenty of Internet surf time at night up there in boonyland.

mbohn
August 13th, 2009, 06:14 AM
If phosgene gets into your lungs it reacts with the moisture there and forms hydrochloric acid which then dissolves lung tissue. Any of the chlorinated solvents we use can probably do that if you get them hot enough.

The GECCO
August 13th, 2009, 10:08 PM
Eff me, I am very lucky indeed.

Good find glenn.

You must have plenty of Internet surf time at night up there in boonyland.

Eh, I cheated - found it posted on the NASA forums :?

marty
August 13th, 2009, 11:43 PM
this may explain a lot, the advanced auto brand is the can in the pic. i usually go through 3 or 4 cases a year. it just smells like clean motor to me. i tend to get indignant when they do not have it in stock and i have to get the other kind that freezes my hands

ever since i got hot carl high, i have been better about opening the bay door though

sheispoison
August 14th, 2009, 07:59 AM
6 or 8 cans of brake clean emptied in a closed shop = Marty and Carl high as a kite... that was retarded, and so was I when we were done.
carl

Scored51
August 14th, 2009, 11:03 AM
The other option is to buy a non-chlorinated brake cleaner. While this stuff isn't harmless, it doesn't contain any of the tetrachloroethylene that created the problem when mixed with the argon. Which is also why the carb cleaner the author usually used had never created an issue. As a matter of course, the last dealership that I worked at was forced to purchase the non-chlorinated variety because the company that would service the floor drain sewage in the shop wouldn't take the waste if any tetrachloro-whatever could be detected in the sludge.

A happier and slightly healthier way to sniff! [-X

marty
August 14th, 2009, 01:48 PM
The other option is to buy a non-chlorinated brake cleaner.

BLASPHEMY! where is my pitch fork and good burning stake! :twisted:

Scored51
August 14th, 2009, 04:03 PM
BLASPHEMY! where is my pitch fork and good burning stake! :twisted:

SHE'S A WITCH!!! ...Well, we did the nose.

I do feel special since you're sparing no expense using the "good" burning stake.