PDA

View Full Version : HPR Round #9 Pre-Entry Counter! **134!!!**

T Baggins
July 16th, 2009, 03:19 PM
** Note that when you go into the Online Entry area, it shows this as round #8 which is "technically" correct - but for various reasons we're referring to it as round #9.

To keep you guys informed, and hopefully incent you to contact all your racing buddies and get them off their butts - I'll track and update the entries for HPR Round #9.

Remember, we REALLY NEED 140 riders to make the weekend a complete success!

As of 1:11 pm on 8/25

134!!!

riders signed up for Round #9 at HPR. Seems giving everyone 5 weeks to get it together was the right choice!

Jon
July 21st, 2009, 12:41 PM
Yeah but are we racing on 8/9 and 8/29? It's up to us riders to put our money where our mouths are so hopefully a decision can be make sooner b4 later otherwise I'll go back to Lake Powell

T Baggins
July 21st, 2009, 01:14 PM
Yeah but are we racing on 8/9 and 8/29? It's up to us riders to put our money where our mouths are so hopefully a decision can be make sooner b4 later otherwise I'll go back to Lake Powell

You guys can go in and register for those rounds RIGHT NOW as well. If we have enough riders, there'd be no reason NOT to race the last two rounds. As is the theme of this whole thing, it's completely UP TO THE MEMBERS if we finish out the season.

Jon
July 22nd, 2009, 11:32 AM
Given the conditions of the clubs financials as well as many of the riders financials, might it be a good idea to consider canceling the 8/8-9 event in order for the ridership to prepare for the 8.28-29 races In order to have hopefully near full grids for the final event? I just am of the thoughts that at the level of 103 riders as of now that that still is kind of on the weak side and two really strong events better than three fairly weak ones? Thoughts anyone?

dragos13
July 22nd, 2009, 11:41 AM
Given the conditions of the clubs financials as well as many of the riders financials, might it be a good idea to consider canceling the 8/8-9 event in order for the ridership to prepare for the 8.28-29 races In order to have hopefully near full grids for the final event? I just am of the thoughts that at the level of 103 riders as of now that that still is kind of on the weak side and two really strong events better than three fairly weak ones? Thoughts anyone?

That is a good idea Jon. The main thing I see is not knowing when the season ends. Do I push it extra hard with one last chance to make the points or do I have another round...

Something set in stone would be awesome but if it depends on rider entry I understand that is a little hard to do. I think the idea of committing to a FINAL round would be much appreciated.

Good work to the board for helping us get motivated and getting the numbers up there. Also, props to the riders that are coming back to help the MRA finish!

ctb
July 22nd, 2009, 11:42 AM
I thought the same thing myself, Jon. It seems like more than a few people are stretching just to make this weekend's event. Can/will the same effort be put in by all involved to ensure the remaining two events are as successful?

(BTW - Kudos to everything all of the club has done to promote this coing race weekend!)

Jon
July 22nd, 2009, 01:13 PM
It would just seem to me as we have struggled just to get this point and barely even reaching it at that.,that why not just go ahead and make the call opposed to letting the signups or lack thereof dictate the course of our summer/season. As it stands now we have to wait what four days prior to getting the thumbs up? My kids go back to school on the 20th of August and I'd certainly love to head out of town and enjoy another end of summer jaunt and be able to buy tickets in advance in order to do so. Maybe having the two rather kick arse events opposed to three ho hum ones would make a bigger difference? I truly don't know.
Tonight, Jim Wilson is continuing his promotion of the club at Boston's as he's done all year (Thanks Jim from all of us) and I'll be joining him. I am in casual conversation with people, going to gage just how much knowledge they may or may not have about the club and racing here in our state. If anyone has anything they would like for me to add casually to these conversations, go ahead and comment or call me at 720-841-6020 and let me know.
I know that spectators aren't our bread and butter, I know that anything but a massive turnout won't make a hill of beans but to have the knowledge of the track and what to do with a Sunday they, I feel, can make a difference. At Second Creek we used to get hundreds. Though with the drive to HPR we're maybe not going to get ever that many but hey, it never hurts to try right?

T Baggins
July 22nd, 2009, 02:57 PM
This is a good suggestion, and I have received it now from a couple different riders. We will discuss it amongst the Board, and would like the opportunity to talk about it at the Riders Meetings this weekend...

Could be an excellent solution, "if" in fact we can't get enough riders for two more events...

phildrummond
July 22nd, 2009, 05:14 PM
.02 to add...

We also have donations to add to the mix, results from cost-cutting internally, fund-raising going on and hopefully additional gate fees to factor in.

Won't we have to look at the total financial picture beyond just entry fees after this weekend before that decision is made?

By the latest count, we only need 23 more entries to meet the 140 ideal goal. I'm excited to see the final tally in the morning. We expect a few raceday entries, too, yes?

PrillerGrrl
July 22nd, 2009, 10:10 PM
Tony,

I'm not able to register online. I've requested that my password be sent to me but it's a no-go.

I am definitely coming.

Katie

T Baggins
July 23rd, 2009, 08:38 AM
.02 to add...

We also have donations to add to the mix, results from cost-cutting internally, fund-raising going on and hopefully additional gate fees to factor in.

Won't we have to look at the total financial picture beyond just entry fees after this weekend before that decision is made?

By the latest count, we only need 23 more entries to meet the 140 ideal goal. I'm excited to see the final tally in the morning. We expect a few raceday entries, too, yes?

All true - but the cost to run the event is still about $20K even after the cost cutting measures. As of now, the total entry fees for the event are only $22,500 so the "entry fees per racer" is only about $175 instead of the usual $200. I think that everyone came out to ride, even if they could only afford Endurance - which truly shows the level of support everyone is willing to put forth. That's awesome! Even so, since we're starting the weekend $10,000 in the hole - the entry fees really only pulls us up to $7,500 upside down.

I think the bigger issue is whether or not the riders want to endure this sort of push and financial strain again in two weeks, or if it would be better to take 5 weeks off and let everyone recover financially, and we get a solid opportunity to pimp the final round at HPR on the 29th & 30th of August.

dragos13
July 23rd, 2009, 08:46 AM
I think the bigger issue is whether or not the riders want to endure this sort of push and financial strain again in two weeks, or if it would be better to take 5 weeks off and let everyone recover financially, and we get a solid opportunity to pimp the final round at HPR on the 29th & 30th of August.

+1 to that idea!

peteyt328
July 23rd, 2009, 09:22 AM
I think its a good idea as well. I can only afford to race one more after this wknd and I was planning on the final round anyways, provided we made it that far. It seems to me that cancelling the next round would ensure a really big turnout at the final round for everyone else in similar situations as myself. Just my 2 cents!

clowe
July 23rd, 2009, 09:37 AM
+ another 1 for that. As much as I want to do four more races this season I think it makes the most sense for the club and the bulk of the membership!

Crash

elvis8310@hotmail.com
July 23rd, 2009, 10:56 AM
I agree also that one last round with a little brake before will help get more money together and may help the turn out.

ZiaThunder
July 23rd, 2009, 11:29 AM
If you are seriously considering canceling the next round... Please don't wait, to let those of us know who are coming from outta state.

Since Glen had made the decision to make the Aug 8-9 round the next WOW race. (It was supposed to be at PPIR) I've been planning on that one, as have the 6 others that are coming up with me.

Since I work on most weekends, I've had to schedule my time off already, and I can't make the 29-30 weekend.

Jon
July 23rd, 2009, 01:29 PM
Cancel the next round and I'll bet we'll have a barn burner at the last one, this coming from someone who has everything to gain from more races and nothing to lose from less. I speaking with other racers last night got way more yes's than I did knows and believe it just makes since financially.
Jon G

rforsythe
July 24th, 2009, 07:53 AM
Tony my gut feeling is canceling the next round but keeping the last one might be the way to go as well. With the costs of racing what they are (they're fixed in a lot of ways for racers as well as the MRA) some recovery time might actually make that weekend better, since riders might be able to enter additional classes, etc.

Also, the efforts that went into making this one a success are extraordinary and commendable, but not sustainable for another two weekends. A lot of people pushed hard to make it happen; don't over-stretch those "people resources", but let them recover a bit and hit it again for the last event, so that the turnout there can be at least as good as this one. You never know, with fresh minds, bodies, and paychecks, the MRA might just get out of its hole. With just two weeks til the next one I have a feeling that weekend could go the other direction, and that's a big risk without cash to cover it.