PDA

View Full Version : some data pulling

glenngsxr
July 15th, 2009, 10:35 AM
Would it be possible to get some data? Looking at this list, we have a large list of novices this year.
http://forums.mra-racing.org/viewtopic.php?t=9035

How many of these are regular entries(say...half the season or more so far)?

How many of these are returning novices?

Could we get the same for experts? How many raced last year and have not raced this year?

If possible, could we get data on if the experts have left faster or if the novices are just not coming in. I think it would be important to see what our demographics look like before we go changing things.

glenn #62

rforsythe
July 15th, 2009, 10:54 AM
I highly doubt that level of deep analytics has been done, however the data's already out there for you to collect. Just go to the race results; compare each class from each weekend for say the past couple years up to now, and you should get a good idea (and probably some neat graphs) of how expert vs novice grids have been stacking up in various classes, and even be able to drill down by name who has come back and who is new.

It's a shit ton of data entry unless you have some scripting skills (PERL would be a useful ally here), but I think that's what it would take at this point to get that information.

If you can script, you could likely easily set up something to crawl the results pages, get the data, and put relevant details into a usable format that would at least speed up the process from having to click each one and copy/paste by hand.

Wild Cheetah 612
July 15th, 2009, 11:45 AM
Hey Glenn,
If you can pull stuff like that and get together some sort of analysis, that would greatly benefit helping to form a solid PR plan for next season.

glenngsxr
July 15th, 2009, 12:01 PM
I will give it a go and see what I can come up with. This may take awhile though, as in many many hours of data work. Glenn #62

Wild Cheetah 612
July 15th, 2009, 12:05 PM
Take your time, my friend. You have until early January when we need to start planning. http://smileys.on-my-web.com/repository/Winks/tongue-wink.gif