PDA

View Full Version : bone growth stimulators?

dave.gallant
July 13th, 2009, 06:29 PM
Anyone have one I can borrow for a bit?

Ray-Ray
July 13th, 2009, 06:58 PM

Go to Pueblo and look around turn 7 for my pinky bone and you can have it!! :lol: No need for a growth stimulator

Timmay!
July 13th, 2009, 08:14 PM
Dave, I sat with one of those on my wrist for 6 weeks. No healing occurred. They are an antiquated relic that is a waste of your time.

dave.gallant
July 13th, 2009, 08:58 PM
wow; that is exactly the opposite for me!

my scaphoid was non-unioning and they were getting ready for the graft (like I think you had done?). 3 weeks of a bone stimulator and the difference was readily apparent! Maybe it was just luck, but it didn't feel like it at the time.

at this point I will sacrifice a chicken to not have to spend the next 16 weeks on crutches...

polar x
July 13th, 2009, 09:42 PM
worked for my ankle. But I threw mine away. sorry dave.

turbohoje
July 13th, 2009, 09:49 PM
ive got one, i'll check and make sure the non-replaceable battery is still good

benfoxmra95
July 13th, 2009, 11:06 PM
Jim brewer would be the person to talk to to stimulate "bone" growth.... :roll:

Throttleroller277
July 14th, 2009, 12:12 AM
Hit me Up tomorrow via phone. 8)

dave.gallant
July 14th, 2009, 08:23 AM
Hit me Up tomorrow via phone. 8)

dude.

Brownie Batter may in fact be a complete food group, may be a facial creme, and may "wax" the floors to a high sheen -- but I don't think it will heal bones??

(Ill call you in a bit. ;))

gsnyder828
July 15th, 2009, 08:16 AM
Dave - I'll check tonight and see if mine is still lying around...

dave.gallant
July 15th, 2009, 08:17 AM
Excellent -- Thanks everyone for checking!

robochoad
July 15th, 2009, 06:50 PM

Let me tell you about the bone stimulator that nearly cost me my leg and possibly my life.

Dr Ting went in to fix what the previous doc's did and when he opened up my leg to take a peek at my left femur he found the location the bone stimulator was in turned that hole in my bone into a full on bone infection. I was lucky, I still had a tiny bit of bone between the infection and the marrow, if it hit the marrow...well...things might be a bit different today.

So yeah +1 more for stay away from the worthless bone stimulators.

Good old fashioned bone graft from your hip is the best way to go, there is no equal when it comes to your own bone. No synthetic bone can come close to the low rejection rate that your own bone has.

To those that had good results with bone stimulators, count yourself lucky.

gsnyder828
July 15th, 2009, 08:52 PM

Found it - it's a Biolectron OrthoPak, the previous generation to the Biomet OrthoPak 2. It's pretty small and takes 9v batteries.

The kit has ~1/2 dozen electrodes left - so you'll probably need to find a source for some more electrodes.

Yours to borrow if you want it - let me know.

dave.gallant
July 16th, 2009, 11:19 AM

Found it - it's a Biolectron OrthoPak, the previous generation to the Biomet OrthoPak 2. It's pretty small and takes 9v batteries.

The kit has ~1/2 dozen electrodes left - so you'll probably need to find a source for some more electrodes.

Yours to borrow if you want it - let me know.

Does that model need electro contact to the skin over the fracture location? I am in a hard cast from the knee down so that would be impossible,,,

T Baggins
July 16th, 2009, 11:22 AM
drill some access holes into the cast dummy! your foot would appreciate the fresh air anyway... :lol:

dave.gallant
July 16th, 2009, 11:23 AM
drill some access holes into the cast dummy! your foot would appreciate the fresh air anyway... :lol:

I might just cut the foot off.

It has been nothing but problems the last year or two now. I am sure science can do better, and maybe I can integrate a quickshifter into it!

gsnyder828
July 16th, 2009, 11:30 AM
Does that model need electro contact to the skin over the fracture location? I am in a hard cast from the knee down so that would be impossible,,,

Oh, now you're getting picky... :wink:

Yes - it does need direct skin contact for the electrodes. I used it for a collarbone, so no cast, but I did notice that it has a "cast hole cutting template" in the kit when I was rifling through it last night. So for once, Tony's right.

dave.gallant
July 16th, 2009, 11:32 AM

Oh, now you're getting picky... :wink:

Yes - it does need direct skin contact for the electrodes. I used it for a collarbone, so no cast, but I did notice that it has a "cast hole cutting template" in the kit when I was rifling through it last night. So for once, Tony's right.

How big of holes are required, and how many electrodes per small application?

Oh, and Tony is never right. Don't you dare give him the pleasure!

T Baggins
July 16th, 2009, 11:40 AM
HA!

gsnyder828
July 16th, 2009, 11:47 AM
How big of holes are required, and how many electrodes per small application?

Oh, and Tony is never right. Don't you dare give him the pleasure!

C'mon, I know that - I'm just trying to get on his good side to land that sweet VP gig! :shock: :lol: kidding

I had 2 electrodes - one for energy in, one out - on opposite sides of the break.

Are you doing the "Hey, I've watched Grey's Anatomy, I'm qualified..." approach to medical treatement here? :shock:

dave.gallant
July 17th, 2009, 08:10 PM
Well, before I go drilling holes in my cast and used the electrical one -- Justin, does yours work and is a PEMF/UltraSound type?

snay
July 19th, 2009, 10:32 AM
I have the one that you need! I was lucky enough to enjoy a double compound break off my tib and fib last jun with out this device stood high chance of loosing my leg!! you can try mine and see if it will help out i had x-rays every two weeks for 5 months it WORKED for me. I just ask that you take care of it i pd over 6k for it thanks

snay
July 20th, 2009, 04:09 AM
PM SENT!

snay
July 21st, 2009, 12:47 PM
Its on its way ups you will have it thu 23rd good luck pm me and i will give you the run down on how it works!!!!! You will be back on the track in no time at all !!!!