PDA

View Full Version : Never Raced but Want To?

chrobis
July 11th, 2009, 10:22 PM
The perspective that we need to accomodate is not the one that we have grown accustomed to - it is that of the the wide-eyed beginner. We need to make it easier for newbies to enter our world.

We need a top level New Racer Q & A sticky post to assist them:
* Identify the Rider Reps, with contact info.
* Identiify some racers (or maybe have a list that the Rider Reps can refer to) that will talk/meet with them off-track in order to indoctrinate, I mean introduce, them to what its all about. (Safety wire pliers are cool!)
* Welcome them to the general meeting (how about an opening question there: "Who here is new to this roadracing thing or would like to talk to a more experienced participant?" This would give members an opportunity to engage them at whatever level is appropriate.)
* Encourage them to use the New Racer Q & A forum to voice any questions or concerns they may have.

Maybe even include people like myself on that list of racers, who will make the newbies say to themselves, "WTF? If this old fart can do it on that, what in the world is stopping me?"

racedk6
July 12th, 2009, 12:30 AM
I am at every Bostons bike night and have no problems with helping anybody out.

phildrummond
July 12th, 2009, 08:46 PM
I posted an invitation to spend the day in my pit on the New Race Q & A last week but something happened between my hitting POST. Cyberspace holds an invitation somewhere, I guess.

I agree completely on getting new racers to say WTF, why not race? If anyone is thinking about racing and wants to know how a day goes and what it takes to get to the start line, come spend the day with me. Bring your bike and we'll run through what it needs to pass tech. You'll see anyone can race and it doesn't take much to get started.

Racing is not as scary or hard to get into as you might think. You'll see the MRA is like family and everyone is very helpful. Ask anyone for help and you'll get it. And even if you're the slowest guy (like me), it's still a blast and beats street riding.

You're invited to come spend any Saturday with me (I don't race sundays) in the pits. It's a relaxed pit with good people around. All it'll cost is $10 at the gate, even if you bring your bike.

Gates open at 7am
High Plains Raceway only
7/25, 8/8, 8/29

Email me at tom -dot- lilly@hotmail.com if you're interested. We'll get you started.

Cross post this as needed...