PDA

View Full Version : we need to figure something out

benfoxmra95
July 11th, 2009, 03:11 PM
We are not the only ones in trouble here:

http://www.omrra.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2562

benfoxmra95
July 11th, 2009, 03:14 PM
for those of you that aren't familiar with omrra, it's a club in Portland oregon that's damn near identical in size to our own. I've raced with them and their format is very very similar to ours.

they only race at one track, PIR, and it appears as though they are having financial issues as well.

It might be a good idea to poke around there on their forum and maybe we can collaborate and come up with some ideas on this.

hcr25
July 11th, 2009, 03:22 PM
Ben, The MOM in Utah, SMRI in New Mexico are also in the same boat. The CCS great plains series was canceled all together before the start of this year.
Mike

benfoxmra95
July 11th, 2009, 03:28 PM
This is not a good sign. we need to be proactive an not quibble over small stuff or racing's going to disappear completely.

rforsythe
July 11th, 2009, 03:48 PM
Club Racer Series. Street bikes allowed, minimal prep, end of Saturday so someone messing up the track from no case covers has plenty of time to go help sweep without f'n up the rest of the day. Hook a new generation of racers as cheaply for them as possible, cause the old school guys clearly aren't paying the bills anymore, and new racers aren't exactly flocking in (likely due to startup costs). Bring back the "Adopt a Racer" program with a vengeance, and pair these folks up with someone so they have the best experience possible.

Perhaps something like this would get all those folks who got race licenses this year but never showed up out on the track? If they have a lic, they know how things work. Even give them a special practice session on Sat morning (yes I know this pushes things back 15 min, oh well) so we don't have less-prepped machines mixing it up with everyone else.

I fail to see how this would generate a financial loss for the club in any way. It MAY just get some more riders really into this thing, and save the MRA from extinction. USBA is a great example of this working.

Yes these are slower riders. Yes their bikes will lack full prep. Racers should help them safety wire the dozen bolts it'd require. As long as they don't interfere with the rest of the day, I don't see a serious downfall here, though the idea has been brought up and shot down so many times I've lost count at this point.

PremiumBlend
July 11th, 2009, 06:47 PM
Club Racer Series. Street bikes allowed, minimal prep, end of Saturday so someone messing up the track from no case covers has plenty of time to go help sweep without f'n up the rest of the day. Hook a new generation of racers as cheaply for them as possible, cause the old school guys clearly aren't paying the bills anymore, and new racers aren't exactly flocking in (likely due to startup costs). Bring back the "Adopt a Racer" program with a vengeance, and pair these folks up with someone so they have the best experience possible.

Perhaps something like this would get all those folks who got race licenses this year but never showed up out on the track? If they have a lic, they know how things work. Even give them a special practice session on Sat morning (yes I know this pushes things back 15 min, oh well) so we don't have less-prepped machines mixing it up with everyone else.

I fail to see how this would generate a financial loss for the club in any way. It MAY just get some more riders really into this thing, and save the MRA from extinction. USBA is a great example of this working.

Yes these are slower riders. Yes their bikes will lack full prep. Racers should help them safety wire the dozen bolts it'd require. As long as they don't interfere with the rest of the day, I don't see a serious downfall here, though the idea has been brought up and shot down so many times I've lost count at this point.

I said ALL of this the other night at the club meeting on Wed. Good luck getting passed the Red Tape... again!