PDA

View Full Version : Who are your potential racers?

Snowman
July 11th, 2009, 11:19 AM
IMHO, There seems to me to be a clear disconnect with this organization and those potential racers they are trying to attract. Being one of these want-a-be racers, I am looking for honest responses. Answers like “This is out of your league kid, find someplace else.” WOULD be an acceptable answer.

I hope other potential racers out there will post up their situations so the people who make the decisions in this club can get a good view of the market base they are trying to attract.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am not a member of the MRA.
I have racing dollars I can spend, just not allot. I have a mortgage, car payment and make in the high 5 figures at my 9 to 5 weekday job.

I have a paid for race dedicated bike. Not the prettiest or the fastest. I attend track days when I can. I have come out to many of your races and I have even worked as a corner worker to get closer to the action.

The reason I am considering racing motorcycles and not less expensive things like go-karts is that I’m more into the bike culture. Many friends ride motorcycles and a couple race with your club. And I have a want to compete.

My motives and budget do not include racing for points to win a championship, in fact I don’t expect to win a single race much less podium anytime soon. I will not be able to race every race because of money and/or time constraints.

I do want to ride on a track in a competitive situation and continually improve my lap times. I have raced with other originations before so I know what I’m getting into. I have read your rule book and understand what I need to do to race.

So, why should I race with your organization when I could just continue to do track days?

Thanks.

racedk6
July 11th, 2009, 11:53 AM
I do want to ride on a track in a competitive situation and continually improve my lap times. I have raced with other originations before so I know what I’m getting into. I have read your rule book and understand what I need to do to race.

So, why should I race with your organization when I could just continue to do track days?

Thanks.

I had the same question when I was getting into it. Track days are fun and all, but I just think its in a guys nature to be competitive. Thats what got me hooked on racing. It doesnt matter if you are battling it out for 15th place. As long as the is a competitive battle you were having fun.

auzzy
July 11th, 2009, 12:28 PM
or even say.......turn 10 at Pueblo for top five :twisted:.064

racedk6
July 11th, 2009, 12:40 PM
or even say.......turn 10 at Pueblo for top five :twisted:.064

That is a perfect reason why I race. I lost the battle .064 of a sec for 5th place. 6th place is the worst I have finished all year and yet I was disappointed it was one of the most fun races I have been in.

and Auzzy at HPR you are mine buddy

auzzy
July 11th, 2009, 01:20 PM
I SUCK @ HPR :shock: Guess I will just have to put Power One marks down that pretty new Dainese suit. That was also the most fun I have had racing this year and a great feeling,thx grubby-aus

BTW We are both rookies this year!!

joe859
July 11th, 2009, 03:18 PM

This is a question I've asked myself and other friends who race. For me, track days are great fun, but I wanted to learn more skill-wise, so I took the MRA school, the whole time being very uncommitted to actually racing.

Then I did the mock race.

And I saw what I was missing at track days. Trying your hardest to just keep up with the pack, keeping the leaders in sight, passing a few who got in your way, being passed and going like hell to get by that guy again, only to blow a turn and be re-passed, then realizing that the race now turned into just YOU and HIM. Maybe one or two others get mixed in, but you know you can beat these guys (holy sh!t, one of 'ems a GIRL), you can beat em if you just don't make any more mistakes...

You finish the race and you're wasted and stoked at the same time, and you know you can do better next time, oh yeah, there's gonna be a next time, 'cause you know you can do better, and you have to prove it. At least to yourself.

If you feel like the MRA hasn't tried hard enough to encourage you to join us, well, we've been standing here holding the door open for you. Maybe that's not enough, maybe we need to reach out more. This is something we talked about on the forum and at the last meeting. Maybe we're all too busy struggling to get ready to race, and don't notice that people are wanting to come in. Hell, get your ass in here and do that first "mock" race. You will never get that at any track day.

Rockstar
July 11th, 2009, 03:51 PM
One of the main reasons I have not started racing yet is bike prep. I have a dedicated bike but its not saftey wired and the lower wont pass tech. I have no mechanical training but I feel that I can do a lot of things myself. However saftey wiring is something that I have been reluctant to do because the thought of drilling on my bike makes me a little nervous. While I know their are a bunch of shops that do this stuff it might make it easier on potential riders if their was more encouragement (prices, schedule ect) to help people like me get the bike ready.

The logistics of the race day are also a little foreign to me right now and reading the rule book its hard for me to get a good understanding of how the day 'flows'. This has been my attraction to track days because they are simple and I can just concentrate on riding.

Joe

rforsythe
July 11th, 2009, 03:54 PM
One of the main reasons I have not started racing yet is bike prep. I have a dedicated bike but its not saftey wired and the lower wont pass tech. I have no mechanical training but I feel that I can do a lot of things myself. However saftey wiring is something that I have been reluctant to do because the thought of drilling on my bike makes me a little nervous. While I know their are a bunch of shops that do this stuff it might make it easier on potential riders if their was more encouragement (prices, schedule ect) to help people like me get the bike ready.

The logistics of the race day are also a little foreign to me right now and reading the rule book its hard for me to get a good understanding of how the day 'flows'. This has been my attraction to track days because they are simple and I can just concentrate on riding.

Joe

I am totally playing this into another post I made, but let's say someone helped you safety wire the bike and do some other minimal prep, and current bodywork was cool. Would you sign up for a street-bike-esque sprint race next event if it were available?

Snowman
July 11th, 2009, 04:13 PM

JoeI had this issue as well. There seems very little out there to tell you where to go and what to do once you are at a race day.

However I did figure most of it out by showing up and corner working. I was able pick up on where I needed to go and what needed to be done. It also got me some money to cover a few track days.

sheispoison
July 11th, 2009, 06:43 PM
I was a little nervous about this last year before my first weekend. But then once I got there, there were so many people to help me out. Brownie, Burr, Applehans, everybody was there and had an answer for any question I had and then all of a sudden things were pretty simple and the day went really smooth.
Anyone who is at all worried about this can come pit next to me, I'll help with whatever I can.
carl

J Dub
July 11th, 2009, 09:05 PM
Come over here one night on a non race weekend and I will help you safety wire your bike for free. This is nothing to be worried about, even if it is a street bike you can hardly notice the wires.

Rockstar
July 11th, 2009, 11:03 PM
[/quote]

I am totally playing this into another post I made, but let's say someone helped you safety wire the bike and do some other minimal prep, and current bodywork was cool. Would you sign up for a street-bike-esque sprint race next event if it were available?[/quote]

I am in the process of doing just that. Once I get it done I may reach out to have someone pre-tech it just to make sure its done right. I will also reach out prior to raceday to see if someone can point me in the right directions.

I may not be the best example as I was going down this road already. However I think anyone who has ambitions of racing has these same reservations.

Thanks all who reached out to help. Its much appreceated.

Joe

JWinter
July 12th, 2009, 11:11 PM
In the MRA we have rider reps and these riders are there to help you! No question is stupid nor will you be bothersome to the reps. Our rider reps are more than willing to help you through the race day. NOBODY in our club is going to blow you off or be rude to you. I have had the very guys I was competing with in the points come into my pit and help me with repairs.

Don't be afraid of the rule book either, just like the race day itself you will get the answers straight up from any of the experienced racers.

Drilling for safety wire just takes patience!

Jeff