PDA

View Full Version : Qualifying to help bring up entry.

benfoxmra95
July 9th, 2009, 11:56 PM
I've been running this thought over in my head here lately....

The MRA has always been a long term "GOAL" oriented club.

as in there's a lot of emphasis put on the year end trophy we might achieve.

If you talk to other racers across the country things seem a little different that they don't have that carrot in their eye to try and get and aren't worried about a year end trophy.

What I'm getting at here is, maybe that we put so much effort on the entire season and you have to race all the races and get that year end finishing spot, that it diminishes peoples drive to come out and race becuase they don't want to start from the back of the grid because they have no accumalated points from previous weekends or last year.

the grid posistions are based on points and how well you did before and are doing.

I think that if we revistied the idea of qualifying on the weekends that it might bring back in some old racers that don't want to climb that hill to fight for a good grid spot.

it'd be more intriguiging for them to think that they can pick the weekends and tracks they want and not worry about starting last.

I know, here comes the argument about tires and now i'll need to buy a set of qualifying tires, but that's not the case. truly think about it.....when you practice on saturday your going as goddamn fast as you possibly can to get your lap times down. and your not putting on new tires for that.

some people might choose to buy a set of new tires for qualifying....and that's their choice....and that's probably the same person who made the choice to spend $30k on a their race bike and has the ability to put on 2 new sets of tires every weekend regardless, so it's of no consequence to the average guy anyway because he's already been out "tired" and out "check booked" for the last several years anyway. Who cares if Brad hendry puts on a set of qualifiers, who cares if jon glaefke puts on a set of qaulifiers? really, what's the difference? will he gain a second from his practice tire? maybe, and if he does how far up the twins grid will he move? 5 rows? no....none. fact is if there faster than you, they are faster than you.

I really think this may be an idea to draw back old racers on the grid, and that's what we need right now is entry fees....spectators are nice, but that's only $10 a head. we need more of the $250 entry fees per person.

here's the math: we attract back 20 racers (20x$200) that's $4000 extra.

we'd have to bring in an extra 400 spectators to generate $4000. I've been around the mra a few years, and I don't think we're going to attract another 400 spectators on top of the the normal spectators we have right now. and if we do it's only going to be for one or two weekends.

think about this please before you slam this idea....

This is an idea to try and bring back already licensed racers.... We've been catering to the die hard racers and the number of those entrants isn't enough to support the club so now maybe we need to try and cater to the racers that want to do specific dates.

sheispoison
July 10th, 2009, 01:13 AM
I personally like this idea. After missing 3 rounds because of crashing and getting hurt, it was kind of a bum out to have to start dead last in a second wave knowing I'd never catch the guys that I'd normally be running with. If the last practice session of Sat. morning and the last one Sun. morning became qualifiers I think that'd be really cool. And if you used those times to set all the grids per class then we wouldn't have to squeeze it in anywhere... Just my opinion.
carl

glenngsxr
July 10th, 2009, 07:47 AM
I personally like this idea. After missing 3 rounds because of crashing and getting hurt, it was kind of a bum out to have to start dead last in a second wave knowing I'd never catch the guys that I'd normally be running with. If the last practice session of Sat. morning and the last one Sun. morning became qualifiers I think that'd be really cool. And if you used those times to set all the grids per class then we wouldn't have to squeeze it in anywhere... Just my opinion.
carl

This is a really good idea. We don't need to have a separate qualifying "session". We make the last practice rounds each day a qualifying practice much like WSBK(w/o Superpole obviously). At our level, as Ben said, there would be no need for the super fast guys to go put q's on because they are already top of the time sheets. It's generally known that you get out of the way the last ten mins of the session anyways. It does allow the people who had a DNF or a $$$ shortage or a mechanical failure the previous round to be right back in the chase for the lead. Glenn #62

July 10th, 2009, 08:29 AM
+1

T Baggins
July 10th, 2009, 08:40 AM
There would be obvious challenges to getting everyone gridded with a qualifying type program - simply because the current system AUTOMATICALLY grids you up based on current points. It would take considerably more effort/time to pore over the lap times and grid everyone up like that. It would have to be done manually, unless the AMB timing system could do it...

I'm not saying "don't do it" or "it can't be done" - I'm just pointing out the operational shortcomings of the current system.

"IF" we were to go to qualifying - why not simply take the BEST lap from all sessions?? What if you do well in your first session, break your bike in the second, and miss "qualifying" because you're fixing your bike in the 3rd session?

Desmodromico
July 10th, 2009, 08:41 AM
As a Novice who just started I would agree to this also. Seems like now your first season is just spent trying to get in the first wave the next one, would be easier to attract and keep people if we slotted them in where they run from the start and allowed the progression to happen faster.

froth
July 10th, 2009, 08:54 AM
I agree with T-Bag. If it's possible, "simply" use the fastest lap time of the day. This way, the "last 10 minutes" idea will not be an informal impediment to racer who pay for that time, whether or not they are the top ten riders.

Of course, I'll be moving up from, say last to maybe not quite last.

froth
July 10th, 2009, 08:56 AM
Oops, forgot one other point. Or, you could just go Wyeth on everyone and picup about, oh, all the positions at the start (that was Mondo Cool, lady!)

glenngsxr
July 10th, 2009, 09:47 AM
There would be obvious challenges to getting everyone gridded with a qualifying type program - simply because the current system AUTOMATICALLY grids you up based on current points. It would take considerably more effort/time to pore over the lap times and grid everyone up like that. It would have to be done manually, unless the AMB timing system could do it...

I'm not saying "don't do it" or "it can't be done" - I'm just pointing out the operational shortcomings of the current system.

"IF" we were to go to qualifying - why not simply take the BEST lap from all sessions?? What if you do well in your first session, break your bike in the second, and miss "qualifying" because you're fixing your bike in the 3rd session?

Tony,
Does the AMB system kind of work like MSFT Excel. Instead of filtering by points, could you filter by lap times and set the grids that way?

T Baggins
July 10th, 2009, 09:53 AM
I honestly have no idea how the AMB system works. Currently we don't use it AT ALL for gridding, as that is done by our own database and entry system that Davey G runs.

rforsythe
July 10th, 2009, 10:10 AM
I'm pretty sure the AMB system can generate grids by times. I am not real sure how to do it, but I am 99% sure I read that somewhere. Since every rider has a transponder, it's really just a matter of figuring that part out, trusting it not to screw up, and ensuring that every rider who goes out in practice has their transponder on (not all do) and is being recorded to avoid the emotional baggage that will come along with a fast guy getting last spot.

Other orgs do grids-by-times and just use the AMB system to sort that out. It also means the AMB system needs knowledge of what riders are in a particular race, and that is where the data entry / human error part really gets touchy. I am not sure if this can be automated from a data pull off of Dave's database, or if someone would have to type entries for each grid by hand.

Another option would be for Dave's system to pull fastest time for a rider from the AMB system, and sort its own grids based on that number instead of points. This, in reality, may be much simpler and less error prone.

It could certainly generate more revenue (and I like Ben's idea), but it's not as simple as flipping a switch either. There is some definite geekery that needs to take place to make it a smooth migration from how the technology works today.

Mforza
July 10th, 2009, 10:14 AM
I like that idea too. As I missed the first half of the races now I will not start in NovO, just beacause I will have to start dead last on grid and go crazy to finaly finish 15-18. It's not worth the efort if I know i can run in top10 and maybe fight for some trophy if I started in front.
I think that the best time from practice that day is good idea also.
The racing will become more interesting again :D

ctb
July 10th, 2009, 10:16 AM
BIG + 1.

This is a big part of why I have had about ZERO motivation to race more this year. The one race I did do, round #2, after missing the 1st round, was HORRIBLE. I would never want to be gridded where I was again. I think this would help, too with the fun factor. You would start everytime with people of similar speed.

clowe
July 10th, 2009, 10:53 AM
This seems like a great idea and I am all for it. One thing we need to think about and figure out how to do. Those of us who run different bikes in different classes.........how do we make sure we get right time, on the right bike for the right class. Let's do this Q thing but make sure we take that into account. Actually, maybe we don't worry about it all and do just take the fastest time just to be simple.

Crash

JimWilson29
July 10th, 2009, 11:15 AM
I agree with everything Ben posted. I decided to skip Hastings because after trying to run the first two rounds on a bike that didnt run, I was down in 20th place or something like that in both ror and osb(sorry Brewer I loved your Aprilia until the clutch went out 2nd lap in :) ) The thought of going all the way to Hastings to start dead last on the grids didnt interest me. I even had someone offer to cover my entry. So now I fit into Ben's description above. I will admit I have already lost my interest in racing and I had planned to only run half the remaining races until this past week's events. I think qualifying would provide more incentive for those racers that are not at every event to come out and participate.

elvis8310@hotmail.com
July 10th, 2009, 11:16 AM
+1 also.

I was doing great for the first 2 races then got hurt doing Army stuff and have missed a few races and am back were I started from. I like the fastest lap grid idea for sure.

racedk6
July 10th, 2009, 11:28 AM
If you switch to doing a qualifing grid setup I am so screwed :shock: Just for the fact that I normally have horrible practice times everytime I practice.

I dont know if Im the only one that is like that but. I know at Hastings my lap times were easily 4-6 sec onds faster in the race then any of my practices. Same with HPR I typically see a 3-4 sec. difference.

I dont have a problem with gridding by fastest practice times just wanted to make a point, that some people may be alot slower in practice.

But on the other hand at HPR Im am gonna be running Novice for the first time all year and could definately benifit from having a qualifier!!!

DOUBLE A
July 10th, 2009, 11:29 AM
I think we will need internet access for that whitch isnt to bad, just get the satalite joby for $40, and you can have internet even @ HPR! I don't think we would have to do this fo all classes. Just the ones where it would bring back RACERS, novice probably dosn't need this, & Amatuer probably not.....SO I guess just the premier classes are the only ones really this makes sence for???? Thoughts? It would be easier if we only did for a few classes right? Plust we could see how it tested out...before we dive in all the way.

glenngsxr
July 10th, 2009, 11:41 AM
If you switch to doing a qualifing grid setup I am so screwed :shock: Just for the fact that I normally have horrible practice times everytime I practice.

I dont know if Im the only one that is like that but. I know at Hastings my lap times were easily 4-6 sec onds faster in the race then any of my practices. Same with HPR I typically see a 3-4 sec. difference.

I dont have a problem with gridding by fastest practice times just wanted to make a point, that some people may be alot slower in practice.

But on the other hand at HPR Im am gonna be running Novice for the first time all year and could definately benifit from having a qualifier!!!

Steve, typically everyones race times are faster than their practice times.

qwiksilver119
July 10th, 2009, 11:44 AM
I think that this is a really good idea. However, with people pushing harder during practice to get a better grid position are we giong to have more crashes? If so, how much will that slow down the day? What happens if we have to cancel a practice session all together because of a bad crash? Like I said, I think it is a great idea but this may be something to think about.

Scored51
July 10th, 2009, 11:53 AM
Having had the experience of generating grids for the USGPRU this season, I will say that it is not within the reach of our club at this time. :(

akuretz
July 10th, 2009, 11:57 AM
Having had the experience of generating grids for the USGPRU this season, I will say that it is not within the reach of our club at this time. :(

Care to expand on that? Is it a technical limitation?

Munch
July 10th, 2009, 12:31 PM
Let's sell grid positions to the highest bidder :)

DOUBLE A
July 10th, 2009, 12:35 PM
+1, haha AGREE, I will jump the start at the rear & do a 150MPH ride through penalty....MEATBALL baby yeah!

gsnyder828
July 10th, 2009, 12:41 PM
I don't think we would have to do this fo all classes. Just the ones where it would bring back RACERS, novice probably dosn't need this, & Amatuer probably not..... Thoughts?

I think Novice and Am are actually a good place to put it (if we do it).

I just added AmO to my schedule for SOLE purpose of getting points to grid next year - as a hedge on what classes I may choose to run in 2010. 8)

I think a lot of amateurs and novices that would be top 5/10/15 sit out b/c of the thought of a 2nd wave start after the 1st race of the year.

Last race I started 18th (last - no points) - and quickly got to 9th before deciding that it wasn't worth tangling with the 3 guys clustered in front of me (only looking for a 2010 grid pos'n after all). With qualifying I'd've been racing with folks for a top 5 finish based on my lap times the rest of the weekend - and likely gridded in Row 2.

Now, that won't change my decision to race that class this year - it just means I'll be out there racing instead of "collecting points" for next April's grid.

benfoxmra95
July 10th, 2009, 12:59 PM

Not within reach?

Scoring for all races used to be done by hand with groups of score keepers. No transponders. They'd score and get the results posted the same day for multiple class grids.

It may be hard at first. but so what? if it has the potential to generate revenue from race entrys from non active race license holders and a mojority of people that are current race license holders are keen on the idea, then I think it's something that shouldn't be dismissed so quickly becuase it may be a PITA.

Im sure we can get novices to help the process, or even appoint another scoring person full time in the office to help with this. Im sure somebody out there would volunteer there time to get it rolling till it was a smooth process.

If Im free I'll come out and help set grid positions.

Scored51
July 10th, 2009, 01:31 PM

Care to expand on that? Is it a technical limitation?

In my original post I did list out a number of hurdles to overcome, but scrapped it for the more concise version I actually posted. Yes, there is a serious issue with the software that does not allow it to readily process a single competitor riding multiple bikes, in an unlimited number of races. I've had discussions in the past with AMB-it about the issue and specifically how to correct it. This shortfall also limits the functionality of the software in other areas I'd like to automate. For example, the class track records must be processed manually (which is why there are always seem to be errors) when the current version of the software already has the facility to automatically track them and notify when a record has been broken. However, the limitation is one rider must ride only one bike in one race.

elvis8310@hotmail.com
July 10th, 2009, 01:40 PM
Ok, so the problem would then be needing a transponder for each bike you ride. I know in Europe when I races 3 classes on one bike it worked but when I had 2 bikes I had to have 2 transponders(rented from racing body). My questions is the software the problem or not having the right software? I know if there is software available and it has to be bought then lets buy it, if we need someone to do it or get donations to buy it. I would help out for sure if it is a money issue.

Munch
July 10th, 2009, 02:02 PM
What format is the data that AMB provides? Excel? CSV? Something proprietary?

If I can get a sampling of the data collected in a usuable format, I'm pretty certain I can automate the gridding process.

Wild Cheetah 612
July 10th, 2009, 02:15 PM
I'm not a big fan of it simply because I like to use practice to...uh...practice. You know, the fundamentals like form and body position, get my brain focusing, and test out new things on the bike and and in general make sure all is good.
It's also a great time to help new riders get to know a track or help them to improve their riding. A smooth and consistent racer generally turns out to be a fast and safe racer.

DOUBLE A
July 10th, 2009, 02:54 PM
what about a system that incorporated both??? like points & qualify times mixed into how the grid is set.....that way the guys in the back that don't have any points at all are not grided in front of guys that can run in the top 15 time wise?

glenngsxr
July 10th, 2009, 03:04 PM

Not within reach?

Scoring for all races used to be done by hand with groups of score keepers. No transponders. They'd score and get the results posted the same day for multiple class grids.

It may be hard at first. but so what? if it has the potential to generate revenue from race entrys from non active race license holders and a mojority of people that are current race license holders are keen on the idea, then I think it's something that shouldn't be dismissed so quickly becuase it may be a PITA.

Im sure we can get novices to help the process, or even appoint another scoring person full time in the office to help with this. Im sure somebody out there would volunteer there time to get it rolling till it was a smooth process.

If Im free I'll come out and help set grid positions.

Agree 100% Ben. I would be willing to come in to the raceday office and help set grids.

To your point Chris, I guess to do one transponder for multiple bikes we would have to go by the honor system and have each rider come in and tell us which bike they put each fast time one. There are only a few of those folks anyways right? glenn #62

cactusjack
July 10th, 2009, 04:00 PM
Yes, yes, yes, yes, yes!!!

I don't know if it's feasible to introduce this rule change this season, but regardless of when it can be implemented, I love the idea.

Do we have any database gurus out there (probably don't even need SQL, can make it work using the MS Access GUI)? I imagine that if AMB times can be exported to a database, some sort of creative linking of databases can be used to generate grids just about automatically (a master dbase containing everyone's best lap time for the day, and a dbase for each race that "pulls" the best lap time for each person participating in that race).

Chris - would it make it easier to implement this if the lunch period were lengthened?

Scored51
July 10th, 2009, 05:25 PM
Not within reach?

Im sure somebody out there would volunteer there time to get it rolling till it was a smooth process.

Ben, you seem to have forgotten who the head scorekeeper was before the arrival of the transponders. However, qualifying has nothing to do with manual score keeping, unless you intend to hire a team of scorers to work the sessions with stop watches.

Things weren't all that great back in the day as I remember trying to score a three lap heat race for ROR. Even with more than six experienced score keepers, the results were so poor that we had to stop the race day, call a riders meeting, and have all those in the heat race physically line up in the order they thought they finished in. Once that was agreed upon, only then was the grid able to be set (again lap times had nothing to do with it). I also remember sitting in the race day office Second Creek at 9:30pm on a Sunday night still trying to figure out race results with the club's secretary.

The main issue with the software is that in its current state it will not perform the tasks qualifying asks of it in an integrated and efficient manner to keep the race day running as smoothly as it presently does. As Americans have been able to land on the moon with little more than slide rules for calculators, so of course it can be done. However, the cost of having AMB-it make changes to their proprietary program would cost this club more money than it doesn't have. So I defer back to my original statement.

If I'm free I'll come out and help set grid positions.

I commend the sentiment, but "If I'm free" doesn't keep things running smoothly. It would be a full time position to integrate, process, deliver, and post the grids. Furthermore, the efficiency would only come with practice as does a successful score keeper. There would have to be a firm commitment to the task for the entire season.

For these and other logistical reasons, I don't believe it's possible with the amount of resources available to the club at the moment unless I'm reading something wrong on the revenue/expense sheet passed around at the last general meeting.

oldtimer
July 10th, 2009, 06:34 PM
I'm less for this idea because I've been making every race specifically because I want to do well in the championships. It's a motivator for me to show up and make the grid.

I also am not crazy about turning a practice session into an additional race, cause that's what it will be if we have to grid based on times. So I won't be "practicing" I'll be racing in open combined novice practice? Sounds like a cluster. :shock:

cjmagnuss
July 10th, 2009, 07:49 PM
i would love to have a qualifying session.

benfoxmra95
July 10th, 2009, 07:51 PM
It saddens me to see that we've become such a "point and click" type culture.

There a way to do it. It might be all manual labor but it could happen.

Let me put it this way if 20 non active racers said they'd come back if they had a chance at decent starting positions what would be the answer to this "not within reach scenario".

An extra 20 or 30 racers appears to be what we need. Right?

PremiumBlend
July 10th, 2009, 08:11 PM

I can create an excel spreadsheet that will automatically place each rider accordingly to their lap times. If the rider DOES not participate in the "qualifying" laps that rider will be placed at the 1st available grid AFTER the last guy who DID run the "qualifying" laps according to his the points he has accumulated and so on and so forth for every rider.

It would take about 10 or 15 minutes to put everyone into the spreadsheet so it will grid them accordingly.

PremiumBlend
July 10th, 2009, 08:14 PM
I'm less for this idea because I've been making every race specifically because I want to do well in the championships. It's a motivator for me to show up and make the grid.

I also am not crazy about turning a practice session into an additional race, cause that's what it will be if we have to grid based on times. So I won't be "practicing" I'll be racing in open combined novice practice? Sounds like a cluster. :shock:

I see your idea and quite frankly I think in the CHAMPIONSHIPS should be gridded according to points so that you reap the benefit of showing up to every race and accumulating those points. I would think this would be the best of both worlds b/c then it creates competition on every level.

If a racer grids higher b/c he had a faster qualifying time during the season well thats fine, let him, b/c if that same guy only races 4 rounds he will not have enough points to get a good grid in the Championships.

Wild Cheetah 612
July 10th, 2009, 09:23 PM
+1

James W
July 10th, 2009, 10:25 PM
I like it Ben, lets try it out at the next round. I would be available to help also :D

Scored51
July 11th, 2009, 12:46 AM
It saddens me to see that we've become such a "point and click" type culture.

There a way to do it. It might be all manual labor but it could happen.

Let me put it this way if 20 non active racers said they'd come back if they had a chance at decent starting positions what would be the answer to this "not within reach scenario".

An extra 20 or 30 racers appears to be what we need. Right?

I have to disagree with your sentiment as our "point and click" approach to the task of timing. The scoring system has provided club members with far more information with regards to lap times, class track records, and more accurate results in a more timely manner than was ever present prior to the technology's arrival. Most of the time results are now posted even before racers can literally dismount their bike and get into the race day office. All of this is being accomplished with far less manpower that was never volunteer. Further financial savings to the club.

I've spent quite a lot of time thinking about this over the past three years because it isn't the first time it's been suggested. If I thought there was a solution that could implement a qualifying setup in the short term at a low cost I would be all over it. I believe it is an idea that would generate more interest in racing. Especially with the Novices who see themselves as fast but are stuck in the second wave due to our current gridding procedure.

It would take about 10 or 15 minutes to put everyone into the spreadsheet so it will grid them accordingly.

I already have the ability to accomplish this by exporting through .CSV files etc, but the timing system cannot make class distinctions when a rider enters more than one race. Therefore we have two options:

If we do not have a separate qualifying session for every grid to be set based on a qualifying time, the grids would for every rider would be based on his/her fastest lap on their fastest bike. This means on Sunday, I will be qualifying for Colorado Class on a near 100 hp Honda F2 that will also be running in Mod Vin GTU. The regulars in the class may not be afraid, but the F2 isn't legal for the class so why should I be gridded based upon my lap times on it?

If we arranged to have separate qualifying sessions for each race, each qualifying session (assume 15 minutes) would take as much time (most longer) than the race itself. Therefore, we would trade 2 hours of practice Sunday morning for 3 hours and 15 minutes of qualifying. What's even more interesting about this scenario is that someone will be qualifying between 8:00 and 8:15! Super Twins GTO is first race on the schedule. "How 'bout dem big purty Ducs on a cold track?

I will certainly put every effort forward to make this happen if it is what the club wants, and I'll continue to post overly long messages to the forums regarding the details of the process for everyone willing to read them. I enjoy improving the process and and the product that is presented to the club members because I'm one them too.

froth
July 11th, 2009, 07:34 AM
Chris, wake up. We are supposed to take the trees we felled yesterday to the dollection point, quick staying up so late :lol:

oldtimer
July 11th, 2009, 08:47 AM
Ben I want to ask, what club were you thinking of that is using qualifying sessions to grid? Or that doesn't care about their championships? I don't know of any, all the clubs I can think of WERA CCS USBA SMRI CMRA, use the points system to grid and their racers do care about the championships.

The qualifying sessions I know of are the AMA. But that's always per class, broken out into groups so not everyone is crowding the track during fast qualifying sessions. Qualifying sessions are not practice, it's an all out sprint, and the times are as fast or faster than race times. It's what qualifier tires are made for. 8)

Is that what we're talking about for MRA club racing?

Snowman
July 11th, 2009, 09:34 AM
Havening racers grid by the number of points only lets those with large racing budgets who can make every race have a chance at a podium. Fast guys without large racing budgets will never generate the points necessary to grid up front for a chance at a podium, which would be their goal because they are not racing for a championship. Most race to win the day they race.

Having faster guys fighting their way through slower racers ahead of them seems to be a unnecessary risk to be taking, especially with a standing start.

Having said that, I can understand the limitation of software timing programs may not give grid information in a timely manner for racers to figure out where they are starting. But this is simply a matter of working out some way of doing this. Maybe its time for a new timing system with this capability? (Insert fund raiser here)

It sounds like this AMB system can produce a list of lap times per bike number/rider name. At worst we can get one of the many computer geeks in this club to program a way to do this quickly.

As far as multiple bikes with a single rider, have a different transponder for each bike. If you have the kind of budget to have multiple bikes, you obviously can afford transponders for each, at least the money to rent more than one. It would mean if you want to grid you have to run at least one lap on every bike you intend to race during pratice.

With the spacing most racers give other racers during practice, the lap times during practice are typically faster than during a race, for most racers. (this is the case in other racing orgs I have reaced with) Having not to contend with traffic and the fact practice is broken down to slow medium and fast riders, not by classes means there is far less of a chance of multiple rider accidents.

This sport is dangerous enough as it is, without forcing faster racers behind slow ones creating an unnecessary risk we should not be taking. After all this is just club racing, and we all have weekday jobs we have to go back to.

racer316
July 11th, 2009, 12:31 PM
With the spacing most racers give other racers during practice, the lap times during practice are typically faster than during a race, for most racers. (this is the case in other racing orgs I have reaced with) Having not to contend with traffic and the fact practice is broken down to slow medium and fast riders, not by classes means there is far less of a chance of multiple rider accidents.

This sport is dangerous enough as it is, without forcing faster racers behind slow ones creating an unnecessary risk we should not be taking. After all this is just club racing, and we all have weekday jobs we have to go back to.

I like this idea and would offer my time as a database programmer to help out. I do see some issues to overcome to make this work:

1. The current Combined Novice practice sessions. Trying to get 40+ novices on the track at one time to qualify (especially on a cold track) would be tricky and some would feel 'balked' by the slower riders. To make it safer there probably should be only novice slow, novice fast sessions.

Perhaps instead of 3 practice rounds on Saturday, only have 2:

SATURDAY QUALIFYING
Qualifying session # 1:
Novice Slow - 15 minutes
Novice Fast - 15 minutes
Expert Slow - 15 minutes
Expert Medium - 15 minutes
Expert Fast - 15 minutes

Qualifying session # 2:
Novice Slow - 24 minutes
Novice Fast - 24 minutes
Expert Slow - 24 minutes
Expert Medium - 24 minutes
Expert Fast - 24 minutes

SUNDAY QUALIFYING
Qualifying session # 1:
Expert Fast - 15 minutes
Expert Med/Slow - 15 minutes
Novice Fast - 15 minutes
Novice Slow - 15 minutes

Qualifying session # 2:
Expert Fast - 15 minutes
Expert Medium - 15 minutes
Expert Slow - 15 minutes
Novice Fast - 15 minutes
Novice Slow - 15 minutes

This utilizes the same amount of time as the existing practice schedule. Session #2 on Saturday gives plenty of time to tweak suspension, etc and get back out.

2) I also agree with 1 transponder for each bike. That is the only way to sort out the class issue.

3) Need to combine Saturday and Sunday sessions. Some racers don't come until Sunday so this seems the only fair way to do it.

4) Combine Sat/Sun/Endurance qualifying and just use the best time for those running the Endurance races. Best qualifying times would be used for Sunday races. This means they get an extra qualfying session but they paid for it!

Just a few issues to consider. Being a database guy, I think most issues can be worked out and in time it could be automated, efficient, and accurate.

Perhaps we could do a few dry runs (run the new system along with the current points system for rest of the season to work out the bugs) then implement the new system next year if the club so desires.

benfoxmra95
July 11th, 2009, 01:34 PM
I have to disagree with your sentiment as our "point and click" approach to the task of timing. The scoring system has provided club members with far more information with regards to lap times, class track records, and more accurate results in a more timely manner than was ever present prior to the technology's arrival. Most of the time results are now posted even before racers can literally dismount their bike and get into the race day office. All of this is being accomplished with far less manpower that was never volunteer. Further financial savings to the club.

What I meant was, and this is not pointed at you. That we've become so dependent on the "script" that's put in front of us that when deviation or creativity is necessary, It becomes a huge roadblock.

I already have the ability to accomplish this by exporting through .CSV files etc, but the timing system cannot make class distinctions when a rider enters more than one race. Therefore we have two options:

If we do not have a separate qualifying session for every grid to be set based on a qualifying time, the grids would for every rider would be based on his/her fastest lap on their fastest bike. This means on Sunday, I will be qualifying for Colorado Class on a near 100 hp Honda F2 that will also be running in Mod Vin GTU. The regulars in the class may not be afraid, but the F2 isn't legal for the class so why should I be gridded based upon my lap times on it?

If we arranged to have separate qualifying sessions for each race, each qualifying session (assume 15 minutes) would take as much time (most longer) than the race itself. Therefore, we would trade 2 hours of practice Sunday morning for 3 hours and 15 minutes of qualifying. What's even more interesting about this scenario is that someone will be qualifying between 8:00 and 8:15! Super Twins GTO is first race on the schedule. "How 'bout dem big purty Ducs on a cold track?

Expert fast is the first class out on the track in the morning anyway? I don't see a problem with track temps at all.

So if we did this on saturday we run practice as normal, then at the end of day, start disecting the times and put rider #x's fastest time on his pre grid spot accordingly to the other riders in that class.

What happens if i don't practice saturday, well those few people who show up sun morn, then get slotted in per there last first session times on sunday morning that way there's enough time to work them in the grid.

Well gee ben that sucks becuase they had no time to warm up....too bad....it's more incentive to show up saturday and spend more money with the club.

I think we spend too much time practicing anways....the MRA used to be a two day event club. For that past several years its now been a 3 day weekend, if you dont show up and practice on friday then you were behind the 8 ball. And this adds a whole other layer of expense, one more day taken off work, one more day of burning gas and tires. One more deterrent for a rider that can't afford friday practice to say awww screw it, I can't ride on friday and won't get up to speed in just 3 practice sessions on saturday and the other guy in my class that can afford to practice for 900 days straight leading up to a race will have already riding all day friday.

For the guys with two bikes riding multiple classes then...... well maybe we could do sessions on saturday where it's a 600cc session, then a 750 session, and a 1000cc session, that way crash lowe's 1000cc times can't be mistaken for his 750cc times.

Wyeth, I understand your apprehension here completely. But as it sits here's my point:

the club needs "racer" entry's to keep the money flowing.

Specatators entrys just don't look like the solution given the amount that would have to show up.

We need to come up with some ideas to draw in racers. We dont have time to get "new" racers. A new riders school would be nice, but even if we had one how many new riders would be able to get there bikes race ready by the next race, not the 20-30 entrys we need right now.

There is an urgency here to bring a mra racer with a race license and race bike in his garage out of hibernation. And by urgency, i mean by the next race..... The clubs check book is in the red.... There's been money loaned to the club that has to be paid back....plus the club has to break even at very least on the next race weekend.

you need to give them an incentive to come out and pay the $200 entry fee.

I have not spent too much time looking but I haven't seen any other ideas to try and draw them out.

this may not be the best idea, but it's intriguing nevertheless, correct?

The only reason Im keeping after this is because maybe someone else after reading all this will have a "ah hah" moment and come up with another idea that's better and more easily implemented.???? who knows....im just kicking down the box we are in and trying to get us thinking out of it.

let's leave the "can't do" attitudes and our half empty glasses in lazy town. :D

oldtimer
July 11th, 2009, 04:20 PM
I think something getting missed in this discussion is the incentive to show up every weekend. Qualifying would reward the racers who don't race very much. Gridding by points rewards the workhorses of the club who show up every weekend and pay the clubs bills by doing so, regardless of how fast they might be.

Personally I don't think this would be the right move to promote more of a turn out, if anything it encourages racers to show up less. My opinion on this idea. 8)

benfoxmra95
July 11th, 2009, 04:32 PM
But the long haul points riders aren't supporting the club as it is.

The long haul riders will show regardless. They'll race shoppings carts if they have to...right?

froth
July 11th, 2009, 05:03 PM
Just knocked the left front wheel out of balance on mine!

marty
July 11th, 2009, 05:16 PM
we could meet in the middle of the road and only have qualifying for certain classes. perhaps one novice/amateur class and ror gtu and gto. maybe ditch nov o/am o and call it formula novice/amateur or something more catchy. make it a run what ya brung class (for those few 1000s and 750s out there) with qualifying. that way it would only be 3 or 4 grids for scorekeeping to put together.

for the guys who have been to utah, how do they do the qual sessions for kom?

PremiumBlend
July 11th, 2009, 06:52 PM
I think this needs to be put to a poll. Bottom line, if the racers vote for it... we AS A CLUB, need to figure out how to make it happen. No if's, and's or but's, we make it happen and that means everyone gets on board. None of this, oh well it's a great idea, lets get gung-ho and then nobody shows up.

dave.gallant
July 11th, 2009, 07:24 PM
I think this needs to be put to a poll. Bottom line, if the racers vote for it... we AS A CLUB, need to figure out how to make it happen. No if's, and's or but's, we make it happen and that means everyone gets on board. None of this, oh well it's a great idea, lets get gung-ho and then nobody shows up.

Great idea, but how about doing a "poll" at the track where the racers are, and not here which represents 1/10th of the voting and racing membership.

Or, at the very worst -- at the MRA General Meeting would be another great place.

PremiumBlend
July 11th, 2009, 07:39 PM

Great idea, but how about doing a "poll" at the track where the racers are, and not here which represents 1/10th of the voting and racing membership.

Or, at the very worst -- at the MRA General Meeting would be another great place.

Works for me, I ALWAYS need an excuse to get some good food and beer!

loujr
July 11th, 2009, 07:39 PM
I like the idea, if it can be done I think we should atleast try, I know personally I had a crash at the first round and haven't been working as fast as I could just because I know I will be in the second wave...if I knew there would be a chance to atleast start farther up, I would have gotten it fixed faster.

chrobis
July 11th, 2009, 07:41 PM
Not necessarily Ben's 'ah-ha' moment (more of a single malt moment), but allow me to synthesize some of the posts on this - and some other threads.

How about making the Solo Endurance races our test case for qualifying? In no particular order:
* They already have their own dedicated practice sessions that could be interpretted as qualifying sessions.
* Grid could be by absolute lap time, irrespective of LW/MW or HW/O:
[list:62447cb792]* They could still be scored independently (LW, MW, HW, O).
* Practice lap times are already printed out in order of best absolute lap time - we could make grid stickers manually to hand out as racers enter pre-grid.
* The majority of the crowded, 'big bike/little bike' issues would be sorted out in the first few minutes.
* Many people use Endurance as an extended practice session, so the cost of experimenting with it may be lowest. Yeah, some are going for a season's championship, but they should have nothing to fear from an 'occasional' racer that can qualify at a similar or better pace.
* Since they are held at the end of Saturday it could make for an easy half-day race weekend for a time challenged racer.
* We could even move tech and the afternoon riders' meeting back in respect of this.
* Solo Endurance is exceedingly cost effective - 50 bucks!! - how many of the current Endurance-only racers are doing it for just that reason?
* LW includes virtually all of the most cost effective, (i.e., :D/$), bikes.
* Open to all of our licensed racers (unless there is an Amateur annual top-5 bump out?).
* Racers who chose to skip the Endurance practice could be gridded in our current back-of-the-pack, time-of-entry default. (probably a 'practice-only' racer anyway?)
* Maybe we could we add a sub-novice, 'street rider only', 3rd endurance race at the end of the day with a relaxed one-day MRA license:
* Vouched for by one of the many independent or CTD instructors?
* Track day tech.
* Rebate their day's spectator fee.
* Lots of time to clean up if there is an oily crash.
* Keep the day's price lower than a committed racer's one-race/weekend price - we can't pull the needle out, but we need to coddle them until they can't either.
* Available for one season only - if that isn't enough to commit..."screw you guys, you're going home".
* Hell, I'd love to be able to take up Marty's challenge http://forums.mra-racing.org/viewtopic.php?t=9022 and get a backup bike running and available for loan.
[/list:u:62447cb792]I'm sure there is more.

We could implement this MANUALLY for the next HPR round. I would forfeit my MW Endurance race and entry fee to help make it work.

(for the curious: Highland Park & Glenlivet 12 yr)

chrobis
July 11th, 2009, 07:51 PM
(Dave)

To your "very worst" comment: maybe that should be the 'best case' scenario - Show up at your club's general meeting, people!!

Scored51
July 11th, 2009, 09:26 PM
I figured it out! I've been trying to feed the cat from the wrong end.

Just thought I'd share this with y'all. I don't think it would be possible for the next race in two weeks, but it is do-able from my end with the following process. It may be a little too detailed for some, but I don't know what provisions the MRA database has for accomplishing what is needed in the plan and who out there would be able to assist with the changes.

1. The online registration system would need to be altered to include a new field for a rider's transponder number. A rider should only need to enter this information once like his/her bike info, bio, or sponsors.

2. Once registrations closes on race day, a .CSV file gets generated from the MRA database of all the rider registrations to populate competitor database in the timing software. This delimited file would need to have created a record for every rider / class entered by a competitor. For example:

- Chris Dale - 51 - 1231823 - LWGP
- Chris Dale - 51 - 1231823 - LWEnd
- Chris Dale - 51 - 1231823 - MWSS

It would also need to contain the remainder of data needed to create entries in the competitor database of the timing software. But the programming geeks get the idea.

3. Qualifying is then run by class - ALL OF THEM. Different classes could run in the same session on track. This would save time, but may also prevent racers from registering for more classes if the two were run at the same time as they couldn't qualify two different bikes in one session. (BTW, one transponder per bike makes the timing system crash.) The only limiting factor I see would be our ability to program a parsing macro once the data needs to be exported. However, this MUST be done by the class of racing.

4. An export file is then generated from the timing software to be imported back into the MRA database into a program which allows for the importation of competitors and printed. This step may or may not be necessary dependent upon my ability to manipulate the printed reports from the timing software. I won't hold my breath because I've already pointed out shortcomings of the report generator to AMB-it.

5. Grids are posted with the approximate speed of results after a race has been run.

As a side note, this process would also automate the class track records thereby increasing the accuracy and speed of them being posted to the website.

Thanks for reading through all that.

chrobis
July 11th, 2009, 09:43 PM
Chris (Dale) -

I smell a working group of some sort.

Several people have expressed their willingness to dive into the guts of this solution; I believe that Dave G would have to direct it.

Please count me in.

Scored51
July 11th, 2009, 11:06 PM
Chris (Dale) -

I smell a working group of some sort.

Several people have expressed their willingness to dive into the guts of this solution; I believe that Dave G would have to direct it.

Please count me in.

Thank you for the support, and I agree whole heartedly. But remember the above answer is for a question that has not been formally asked of the riding membership yet. It's simply a possible path that removes large stumbling blocks in the logistics of making it happen and hopefully gives some insight as to how the race day might play out.

Of course in the three pages of discussion so far, no one has written about our Track Marshall's problems of having to rearrange an already well scheduled two days of racing this late in the season to accommodate such a monumental change.

benfoxmra95
July 12th, 2009, 12:42 AM
Deviation and creativity.....:)

"I love when a plan comes together." Where's murdock and b.a. Time to get in the van and move on to the next problem and fight the tyranny of evil elsewhere :)

Btw.....feeding the cat from the wrong end? Defnately something only Tony baker would be trying.

rforsythe
July 12th, 2009, 07:15 AM
Btw.....feeding the cat from the wrong end? Defnately something only Tony baker would be trying.

And suddenly this thread takes a direction nobody saw coming (or wanted to)...

T Baggins
July 13th, 2009, 08:59 AM
Confusious say: "There can be no wrong end."

Yoda say: "No wrong end can there be."

Two geniuses light years apart can't be wrong... :shock:

PrillerGrrl
July 14th, 2009, 01:21 PM
I agree with the concept of qualifying.

I raced in the canadian national series and sudden thundershowers are standard fare. We still ran in the rain but as a matter of policy, qualifying laps were cancelled in the event of heavy rain and practice lap times were used for qualifying and grid placement. We were always told that all practice laps could potentially be counted and not to forget that qualifying laps would be cancelled if we got hit with heavy rain.

I'm not aware of the particulars of tracking all of this and for sure, there were fewer classes compared to what we have in the MRA.. but missing a single race and ending up in the second wave so far back you can see the New Mexico state line isn't a good motivator to come back.

Katie

dragos13
July 14th, 2009, 02:19 PM
It agree with the concept of qualifying.

I raced in the canadian national series and sudden thundershowers are standard fare. We still ran in the rain but as a matter of policy, qualifying laps were cancelled in the event of heavy rain and practice lap times were used for qualifying and grid placement. We were always told that all practice laps could potentially be counted and not to forget that qualifying laps would be cancelled if we got hit with heavy rain.

I'm not aware of the particulars of tracking all of this and for sure, there were fewer classes compared to what we have in the MRA.. but missing a single race and ending up in the second wave so far back you can see the New Mexico state line isn't a good motivator to come back.

Katie

Hey I saw your post on another thread but can't find it now. I have some decent takeoffs that should be good enough for 1:55's at HPR. Shoot me a PM and I'd be happy to get you on the track next weekend!!!