PDA

View Full Version : NOW is the time to step up, and SHOW up!

T Baggins
July 7th, 2009, 10:47 AM
As many of you have surmised by now, the club is in serious financial trouble. In spite of the Board's best efforts to put on a fun, challenging, steady, and varied race season in 2009 - nobody has been showing up. We have over 250 licensed racers for 2009 - but only about 150 of the 250 have even attended a race this season. We can only assume the economy has had a bigger impact on our members than we could have anticipated...

At any rate, it's come down to this:

It will be UP TO THE MEMBERS to decide whether or not we finish out the 2009 race season. Simply put, YOUR vote will be based on YOUR attendance (or lack thereof) at the remaining three rounds at High Plains.

Based on our current financials, we MUST have at least 140 racers at each of the remaining three rounds at High Plains for there to be any reasonable chance of us completing the season.

If we have 120 racers at the next HPR round, we'll have less than a 50/50 chance of doing the two remaining rounds.

If we have fewer than 100 racers sign up for the July 25/26 round at HPR - we will cancel that event, and the rest of the season.

It is absolutely imperative that people come out of the woodwork and support our club - NOW! If you can't afford to run the sprints, at least show up and do some endurance racing on Saturday. If you can't afford to race at all, then grab up all your friends and family and bring them to watch the races. Even a $10 gate fee will help at this point.

If you're wondering "where did all the money go" I can summarize it pretty easily below:

We've never had very much to start with

We lost money at the school - this is normal

We made a modest profit at Round #1 Pueblo

We made a small profit at Round #2 High Plains

We lost over $23,000 on Rounds #3 & 4 at Hastings

We lost a small amount at Round #5 High Plains

We lost over $10,000 at Round #6 Pueblo

If you want greater detail, please come to the General Meeting tomorrow night - but overwhelmingly where we've lost money it's because the turnout was low. Hastings averaged 75 riders between the two events, and the recent Pueblo had only 90 riders. Our NORMAL turnout for a race weekend is between 120 and 150 riders. At $200 per rider (average entry fee) that's a difference of as much as $45,000 in lost revenue for just Hastings and the recent Pueblo round. Given our fixed costs to operate an event, there is no way we can recover from those types of losses without a stellar turnout at the remaining rounds.

We have discussed as a Board where we can cut operating costs WITHOUT reducing the quality of the events and WITHOUT comprimising rider safety. Unfortunately, our options are limited - but here's what we've come up with which will take effect immediately and will remain in place for the remainder of the season:

1) The Board of Directors will take a 50% reduction in compensation

2) The Race of the Rockies payouts will be reduced by 50%

3) We will utilize an "appropriate" number of corner workers, instead of being overstaffed as we have been this year

4) All spending that doesn't directly relate to running/promoting the remaining events will be suspended

That's it in a nutshell.

Here's what you guys, as members can do:

1) SHOW UP, SHOW UP, SHOW UP

2) Promote, promote, promote

3) Bring a friend - get your buddy off his butt and on the track

4) Run an extra class (what the hell, it's only $20...)

5) Forfeit your ROR checks

6) Donate to the cause, if you can

This is an absolutely desperate time for the club. We WILL NOT run another event in 2009 if it will cause us to go further into debt. It would be better to shelve the season and start fresh in 2010 than continue to run at a loss. Please, please - show your support for YOUR club and do whatever YOU can to ensure a good turnout at the final three rounds...

chris nami
July 7th, 2009, 11:03 AM
I will be there +7-10 in the cheering section

oldtimer
July 7th, 2009, 11:15 AM
Tony, some of us are prepared to sign up and pay for the next HPR round now --if the board decides to open pre-entry early to judge member interest. We'll be attending the meeting tomorrow to find out more.

I want to race the rest of the seaon!! :D

racedk6
July 7th, 2009, 11:18 AM
Tony, some of us are prepared to sign up and pay for the next HPR round now --if the board decides to open pre-entry early to judge member interest. We'll be attending the meeting tomorrow to find out more.

I want to race the rest of the seaon!! :D

I am preregistered for the rest of the season but need to get in to add some classes. :wink:

rforsythe
July 7th, 2009, 11:43 AM
Hmm. Well, I was considering doing one of the later event End races. Am extremely on the fence about late July as my wife will be within (literally) a few days of having our first kid, but maybe I can convince her to come out with me if I can provide air conditioning, and race the next event to help get some funds into the MRA. Anyone have a trailer with AC we could pit with so she doesn't end up giving birth at the track from the heat?

Agreed on pre-reg. Tony my experience with R2SL is pre-reg is everything. If that isn't available when the excitement is piqued, they will lose interest. Get this open today.

nwatkins176
July 7th, 2009, 11:46 AM
Ralph,
She is welcome to sit in my toyhauler. No problem at all, that AC blows cold.

Neil

PremiumBlend
July 7th, 2009, 11:50 AM
I'm not sure if this is an option at all, but is there ANYWAY Chicane Licensed riders could do a morning practice session?

I have no idea what the layout is in the morning or how it works, I'm just throwing an idea out there? I would be MORE than willing to pay both a gate fee and a regular half day Chicane Track Day rate for riding in the morning practice.

Again, just an idea... if this is completely out of the question then just let me know.

Ray-Ray
July 7th, 2009, 12:05 PM
I'm not sure if this is an option at all, but is there ANYWAY Chicane Licensed riders could do a morning practice session?

I have no idea what the layout is in the morning or how it works, I'm just throwing an idea out there? I would be MORE than willing to pay both a gate fee and a regular half day Chicane Track Day rate for riding in the morning practice.

Again, just an idea... if this is completely out of the question then just let me know.

Chicane and MRA are 2 separate companies. IF you want to race at a MRA event you must have gone through a race school to get certified. Then a 1 weekend race license would cost you $50.

rforsythe
July 7th, 2009, 12:08 PM
That's actually not a horrible idea... I run the Chicane crews+track much like a typical MRA practice session. We use a subset of flags (no debris, mainly) and we generally stop for any crashes where the MRA might choose to continue riding if it's way off in the dirt, but CTD riders would generally expect things to work as they've been seeing.

Now, our riders don't have full-on MRA tech requirements (so safety wire not required, and no belly pans since we do allow street riders), but do require coolant flushed and any lenses/glass taped, lights unplugged.

The only glitch in this plan is that we stress the point of TRACK DAY riding (i.e. chill out), whereas the folks on Saturday practice are getting ready to RACE. However anyone in our intermediate/advanced groups should be more than capable of dealing with it.

EDIT: Ray you posted just before me. So I know what you're saying, but this might be a creative way to generate some revenue, which at the moment seems more important to me than being rigidly attached to "the way it's always been". USBA had a whole series just for guys on street bikes and AFAIK it was well attended for a while, until the riders all advanced to full race classes. And he isn't talking about CTD riders actually *racing*, just going out and riding practice in the morning.

PremiumBlend
July 7th, 2009, 12:12 PM
The last Chicane day I was at seemed to generate a decent amount of riders. I figured if you were already a Chicane Licensed rider (meaning you took the class) you understood most track scenarios and could handle yourself on the track. If there was ANYWAY possible to make it a hybrid type day that would be awesome and I would LOVE to ride. I will be there regardless and I'll try to bring as many people as I can but it's just a little bit easier for me to bring family and friends if I say "Hey, I'm riding in the morning... come watch and then after stay for the races."

And Ray-Ray, thank you for the heads up on the 1 day license, I never knew those existed.

T Baggins
July 7th, 2009, 12:26 PM
I love the idea, but you gotta be an MRA licensed racer (even one day) AND an AMA member to be on the track. Insurance requirement, not negotiable.

Ray-Ray
July 7th, 2009, 12:27 PM
Tony beat me to it.... 8)

PremiumBlend
July 7th, 2009, 12:32 PM
I am already an AMA member, so in order to race I would need to pay the $50 for the 1 day license and then say another $50 for an endurance race?

T Baggins
July 7th, 2009, 12:39 PM
I am already an AMA member, so in order to race I would need to pay the $50 for the 1 day license and then say another $50 for an endurance race?

Correct, assuming you've already taken a Race School that is recognized by MRA.

PremiumBlend
July 7th, 2009, 12:41 PM

Correct, assuming you've already taken a Race School that is recognized by MRA.

OOooooooh, damn... I haven't done the school yet, just the Chicane School.

Jon
July 7th, 2009, 01:01 PM
As I have taken advantage of the weekend off this coming weekend, the girlfriend, the kids and I are heading to Lake Powell tomorrow afternoon so we can't be at tomorrows meeting.
Is there anyway, like we've done in the past to access what is discussed at this meeting? The minutes of the meetings used to be posted on the website until the last year or two. Could we do this as I am interested just not available. I will of course be racing the next race and anyone after that and would be more than willing to signup early if available. I was shocked to say the least when so many wanted so many races on the schedule but felt that once the season got going that like the proposed endurance races of the past that people would see the error of their ways and drop like flys but hey they never even showed up this year. Too bad and it's ashamed that it's come to this but I'll do what I can and am interested in helping anyway I can.

nwatkins176
July 7th, 2009, 01:04 PM
I have seen in other racing organizations to get more novices out there. They would have have a built in school the day before the races in a track day. This school would come with the cost of a day membership and the track day. Typically the other race organizations only raced on Sunday so this was viable on Saturday. Has there been thought about that yet?

T Baggins
July 7th, 2009, 01:16 PM
I have seen in other racing organizations to get more novices out there. They would have have a built in school the day before the races in a track day. This school would come with the cost of a day membership and the track day. Typically the other race organizations only raced on Sunday so this was viable on Saturday. Has there been thought about that yet?

That's a good idea for here: http://forums.mra-racing.org/viewtopic.php?t=8977

and may be too late for this season - but maybe not??? It'd have to be a Friday school tho, and would run in sessions with the HPR open track day. I'm not discarding the idea, just plugging in the logistics.

Desmodromico
July 7th, 2009, 01:35 PM
There is some discussion on the CSC board about the STAR school counting for MRA certification, is this approved or are others just spreading rumors? Just trying to make sure they are headed the right direction and the $300 goes towards getting them racing and not just to STAR.

T Baggins
July 7th, 2009, 01:37 PM
Lemme check.

gsnyder828
July 7th, 2009, 01:38 PM
There is some discussion on the CSC board about the STAR school counting for MRA certification, is this approved or are others just spreading rumors? Just trying to make sure they are headed the right direction and the $300 goes towards getting them racing and not just to STAR.

Unless there's another thread started - I clarified on the CSC board that it likely won't qualify.

http://www.cosportbikeclub.org/forums/showpost.php?p=475530&postcount=17

DOUBLE A
July 7th, 2009, 02:04 PM
I'll be there for the rest of the season! If it ends early I'll do the lapping days! Let's just show up, everyone!!! I will take another class, 2. BTW, can the racers that place pay for the trophies if they want one? If it will save us money, maybe we can cut that for now, just from my view most people don't even pick theirs up?

phildrummond
July 7th, 2009, 02:06 PM
Tony- Could a donation link be created from the MRA site allowing credit card payments? Sounds like even $10 will help.

I'll race Saturday endurance and corner work Sundays FREE. Please count me in the "appropriate" number of corner workers and don't even try to pay me until we're solvent.

DOUBLE A
July 7th, 2009, 02:08 PM
2nd that!

T Baggins
July 7th, 2009, 02:09 PM
Geoff, I'm clarifying if the STAR school counts or not. My gut is that it SHOULD but don't know for sure. Please wait for an official response before posting otherwise

Double A, the trophies are "sponsored" by outside sources (bike shops, etc...) and we "owe" them the exposure. If we bail on them, you can bet they won't support us in the future. Believe me we looked at them as something to cut, but the damage would outweigh the savings.

T Baggins
July 7th, 2009, 02:16 PM
Tony- Could a donation link be created from the MRA site allowing credit card payments? Sounds like even $10 will help.

I'll race Saturday endurance and corner work Sundays FREE. Please count me in the "appropriate" number of corner workers and don't even try to pay me until we're solvent.

May be too much work to have Dave code up a "donate to the MRA" link - but I'll ask him. If that won't fly, when registration opens, you can make a donation to the "safety fund". At this point all the money goes into the same place anyway. Other option would be to e-mail Miss Lisa the Treasurer and have her run it.

phildrummond
July 7th, 2009, 03:33 PM
I have a check to the MRA for $100. It ain't much but it's a start and won't bounce. At least it'll help with immediate cash flow and maybe more will step up.

Please confirm the address to send it.

THANKS to the board/reps for keeping things together. Even while working your full-time jobs, you provide us a great playground.

T Baggins
July 7th, 2009, 03:41 PM
Bring it to the General Meeting, or you can mail it to me (payable to MRA please...)

Tony Baker
MRA VP
7482 Patrick Trail
Elizabeth, CO 80107

HAMMER
July 7th, 2009, 04:36 PM
well maybe you shouldnt kick out riders who bring 3- 4 racers with them (click turtle russ my roomate and my neighbor all said fuck it )and comes TO EVERY SINGLE RACE!!!!!!!! ........ AND get bitched at for using the mra logo and trying to promote on our event flyers?????

seems funny to me :shock:

if my math is correct ya lost at least eh.... 10 - 15 grand.. bummer

all over a stupid burn out that happend after ther "MRA" was even on there rented time...

smart :oops:

go mini bike racing @ 35 bucks......

whats funny is that money is in MY BANK NOW!!!!!! LOL

cjmagnuss
July 7th, 2009, 06:02 PM
my wedding is the weekend of jul 25/26 so i'll miss that round but i will be there for the final two rounds in august though!

COS Mille
July 7th, 2009, 07:49 PM
Just starting racing this season, will be at the remaining races. Just got back from Italy and found out PPIR is cancelled, sad, but understand. Am planning on doing my required support time on Sundays.
I've brought spectators, and spread the word about MRA racing, even posting a schedule at work for people to see before I became a member over the past few years. It would be a shame to see things fall apart, we're so lucky to have the facilities we've got in CO.

NossLou
July 7th, 2009, 11:29 PM
Bringing all of my friends, actually going to try to have my birthday party out there instead of the bars, I know many won't want to drive, but hey its a few.... and I apologize now for any rukkus in the evening, I'll pit far away from people and keep it down to a minimum.

I also wish I could promote somehow on the college campus, I can run as many coppies off as I'd like in the ME office(toss out around campus), I know it would attract a ton of spectators, hell when Coyote brought there street bikes there for show it was a mob of squidlings around the bikes wanting to hear them, I also know if there were promotion for racing at CU or the Metro campus I would have started back when I was a freshmen instead of buying chrome parts for my ol r6.... and I'd think it would intrigue a few others as well.... just a thought for next spring since out september race is out of the question.....

In all honesty I think it would be worth it, I'd do it by myself... I don't care.... they serve good beer on campus too....

Anyways I'm bringing as many as I can.... and going to try to help a buddy get his stuff ready to go for the races as well.

T Baggins
July 8th, 2009, 10:07 AM
well maybe you shouldnt kick out riders who bring 3- 4 racers with them (click turtle russ my roomate and my neighbor all said fuck it )and comes TO EVERY SINGLE RACE!!!!!!!! ........ AND get bitched at for using the mra logo and trying to promote on our event flyers?????

seems funny to me :shock: if my math is correct ya lost at least eh.... 10 - 15 grand.. bummer all over a stupid burn out that happend after ther "MRA" was even on there rented time... smart :oops: go mini bike racing @ 35 bucks......

whats funny is that money is in MY BANK NOW!!!!!! LOL

Jason, you're right - the revenue brought in by you and your posse has been missed (though closer to $5K not 15K as you suggest), and it is too bad that your teammates accepted your suspension as their own. Unfortunately, sometimes we have to make decisions for the greater good of the club that have unintended negative impacts. That doesn't change the fact that the Board voted unanimously for your suspension, and 10 of 11 agreed with the fine you received. You are now eligible for reinstatement with the club, provided you pay your fine and follow the rules for the rest of the season.

If you would like to start another thread about tolerance and all that, then I encourage you to do so. BUT, hijacking this thread about keeping the club solvent will not be allowed. If you have something productive to say, then we're all ears.

elvis8310@hotmail.com
July 8th, 2009, 11:43 AM
If there was a way to donate online I would for sure. I am not racing right now due to a mess up at work(got to love Army life) and I got hurt bad (herniated 3 disks 7 to 9mm each). I hope to be back on the track before the season is over. Since my family and I are not attending the races and giving money that way we would be happy to donate it for sure to keep to MRA alive.

SSG Paradise and Family

T Baggins
July 8th, 2009, 01:11 PM
If there was a way to donate online I would for sure. I am not racing right now due to a mess up at work(got to love Army life) and I got hurt bad (herniated 3 disks 7 to 9mm each). I hope to be back on the track before the season is over. Since my family and I are not attending the races and giving money that way we would be happy to donate it for sure to keep to MRA alive.

SSG Paradise and Family

Sorry to hear you got banged up Frank... We're working on an online donation link, but it will take a few days.

cromer611
July 8th, 2009, 02:50 PM
i can co whore myself on colfax.
Purdy Curdy would be my #1 customer. :lol:

but seriously jackie would kill me, so no :cry:

auzzy
July 8th, 2009, 05:46 PM
Had a very productive day for the MRA while I was at work. Got some flying papers handed out all over town to many many riders stating there is a ride from Pueblo to HPR and hopefully there is a decent turnout for us from this area. :)

PepPod
July 8th, 2009, 11:49 PM
I am here for the rest of the season racing 5-6 races each session. If we can all pitch in another 100-200.00 per race and pull together we should be able to pull this off. This is my first season as a racer but I already purchased 2 ducatis and am having an amazing time hanging out with people and sharing the time together. Again, count me in and I am trying to bring a friend out to race my other bike!

Skip "the PepPod guy"

Pep620
July 9th, 2009, 06:36 AM
Well, I'm one of those who took the class and hasn't raced as of yet....lack of bike. BUT I did buy one and it should ship today and it'll arrive the 20th or 21st, just in time for the next race. I plan on racing the rest of the schedule at least 3 classes. I know every bit counts. I'll also try get my street buds to come out and support. I need to get my corner time in too so hopefully that can free up some loot.

Thanks to all that make this possible!! This economy sucks but if I have to I'll hit the change jar to pay for my races if neccesary. WE can make it happen!

peteremsley
July 9th, 2009, 06:53 PM
I need to get my corner time in too so hopefully that can free up some loot.

This came up last night at the meeting. I was hoping to get my hrs in at one of the next couple of races. The proposal of novices paying a corner worker for a day seemed well received, as it helps with the $ and doesn't require late season training. It sounded like a good way to save some $, but I don't know if it was decided how best to pay for it.

Any decision yet?

NossLou
July 9th, 2009, 08:03 PM
I know I might get biatched at for this thought, but at this time would it make more sense to technically "pay" off our novice hours, instead of doing them pay for them, just thought this might be another way to increase funds....

Not trying to get out of them but it was a suggestion that I spoke with a few others about.

Scored51
July 9th, 2009, 08:33 PM
That's exactly what is going on. Mr. Emsley was simply asking if a decision had been reached as to how to get the funds to the club for those wishing to buy off their novice hours. I would suggest Paypal to my personal account, but that seems a little to obvious!

Please hold for official word...

T Baggins
July 10th, 2009, 08:16 AM
Pay Lisa in the raceday office at HPR.

It DOES make sense to have you guys pay instead of work because:

1) you only work 4 hours, but we need you all day

2) you (typically) have no idea what you're doing on the corner, so we have to put a paid cornerworker with you anyway.

3) cornerworker pay is $50 for the whole day. If you worked 4 hours, we'd still have to pay the cornerworker $25 for the other 4 hours.

Wild Cheetah 612
July 10th, 2009, 01:33 PM
Yes, we certainly need the cash!
HOWEVER, I need your time for PR. A great donation would be to help out for a whole day and not just four hours. OR, pay off your novice hours and help out anyway. Even before I was a board member, I put in waaaaay more than four hours of service to the club each year. We need not just novices, but experts, too. We all own this club and need to help!

ryan
July 13th, 2009, 10:08 AM
with the shortened race schedule what are good opportunities to do the 4 hours? Personally I work every sat, and sunday i race so Im pretty limited. Ideas?

T Baggins
July 13th, 2009, 10:10 AM
Buy your novice hours instead of working them??

Put on a bike-night or something on a weeknight?

ryan
July 13th, 2009, 10:20 AM
I know Vickery is wanting to do another bike night soon. Ill see what hes got planned and try to coordinate with the club.

PrillerGrrl
July 14th, 2009, 06:21 AM
I've kinda been out of the loop on this year's racing so I only very recently heard what is happening.

I had planned on being there for 6 rounds this year, 3 national events back home and 1 event in the DR but 3 weeks before the season start, I had significant issues with my eldest child.

He's special needs and all the season's money went to his care in the space of 2 weeks... it's amazing how fast all those zeros can disappear. :-(

I am trying to make it out next weekend but right now, I don't know how I'm going to pull it off in one week but I'm still trying.

I'm sorry I haven't been out there.

MRA#188

ryan
July 14th, 2009, 09:26 AM
not hijacking the thread... Ill start another post too.

Vickery will host a bike night at Caldonia's at Parker and Iliff. Thurs, July 30th - 6p. Lets get a bunch of MRA bikes out there, and maybe even that big truck??? Cromer, Grosse, and myself will have our bikes there!