PDA

View Full Version : Is it True?

Edda Tully
July 4th, 2009, 10:37 PM
I have heard through the grapevine that the PPIR race weekend has been cancellled, is this information correct? Can someone please let those who were planning the trip know as soon as possible. Any and all information would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Edda..

Timmay!
July 4th, 2009, 11:50 PM
Please stand by for a formal announcement regarding this issue. Your patience is appreciated.

fog600
July 5th, 2009, 05:45 AM
That is the same thing I heard also

bluedevil
July 5th, 2009, 09:47 AM
Find info here:

http://forums.mra-racing.org/viewtopic.php?t=8958

Edda Tully
July 5th, 2009, 09:54 AM
All,

Due to declining entry numbers the board has decided to cancel rounds 7 and 11 at PPIR. We simply cannot afford to race at this venue given the revenues we have brought in from the last three races. The three remaining HPR rounds will go on as scheduled. This will leave us with a 9 race season.

We will try to notify the entire club in every way possible in the next week, but please communicate this news to anyone that you think may not get the message.

Glenn
2003 750 Endurance Champion
2006 750 Superbike Champion

Munch
July 5th, 2009, 11:03 AM
Outta drop Pueblo off the schedule next season. It's apparent people don't like the track given the empty pit lanes on Saturday morning...

racedk6
July 5th, 2009, 12:16 PM
Outta drop Pueblo off the schedule next season. It's apparent people don't like the track given the empty pit lanes on Saturday morning...

Did you go to Hastings this year?

If anything is going to be cut I am willing to bet it will be Hasting. It is the race that costs the racers the most money to do as well as the MRA.

Im just wondering... Knowing that we were in horrible economic time why we even bothered going out there this year?

froth
July 5th, 2009, 05:59 PM
We went to Hastings because we scheduled it before the economy Hoped itself off a cliff. The logistics of arranging season schedules is a nightmare in the best of times. With the current situation, nertz!

When we get healthy, hopefully we'll try to get back. Until then, our board will do their best to keep things afloat.

Or, if I win the Lotto or Powerball, then, everything will be fine(LMAO).

Hope to see you at HPR!

PremiumBlend
July 5th, 2009, 10:02 PM
Just my .02 cents but maybe promoting a "SALE" for entry fees 1 weekend say mid season would be pretty nice for some of us that WOULD have raced this season but it was to expensive to get our Cert and Competition license. I know of 5 people right now that want to race but don't have the money laying around. I know 5 people doesn't really make a huge difference, but come race weekend when they are submitting entry fees it may help.

This just seems to me that the quantity of racers the MRA can put on the track would bring in more revenue than charging so much for race classes and a competition license.

Plus, hardly any spectators come out... why is that? Does the MRA not advertise or try and put on events? I know stunt riding isn't really the MRA's thing but I know of plenty of guys that would be willing to do a show for the MRA. We, as stunters, have a pretty big following for spectators and by no means could stunt riders fill the stands BUT it couldn't hurt to have a couple stunt events, raffles, fun events lined up that I'm sure plenty of people wouldn't mind doing for FREE.

Maybe try getting involved with KBPI... I know every year they do Wing Bowl and hold plenty of pre-quals... maybe Dragos or a couple of those guys that have bars as sponsors could supply the Wings and KBPI can do one of their qualifiers @ an MRA event for Wing Bowl?

I don't know, I'm just shooting from the hip here but I think the MRA should really start looking into going outside it's normal protocol for advertising (whatever that may be) and try finding a way to put more excitement behind the sport and bring in both more spectators and racers alike.

racedk6
July 6th, 2009, 01:19 AM
Just my .02 cents but maybe promoting a "SALE" for entry fees 1 weekend say mid season would be pretty nice for some of us that WOULD have raced this season but it was to expensive to get our Cert and Competition license. I know of 5 people right now that want to race but don't have the money laying around. I know 5 people doesn't really make a huge difference, but come race weekend when they are submitting entry fees it may help.

So will we see you at the board meeting?

Everybody has to pay the same price for the race license?

Vanmar always tries to work with people to get them setup to do their cert.

Having 5 people show up and race does make a difference. Racers can show up and race endurance for $50 and go home. That will give your 4 practice sessions and a 30 min race. Do your friends happen to have fully race prepped bikes ready to go race? If they did they would probably be racing considering getting a bike and stuff to go with it is the most expensive part of racing when you start out. It is mid season right now. If they did a "SALE" on entree fees we would have lost more then we did. I also dont see HPR, PPIR or PMP having a mid season discount on track rental. Nor do I see ambulance workers or insurance giving out discounted rates mid-season.

For the record I only quoted this part of your reply because the other ones weren't bad ideas. I wanted to bring just this part up because for some reason I always see you posting stuff complaining about how much it costs to do this and that. When you arent the only one that has to deal with the costs of racing.

PremiumBlend
July 6th, 2009, 08:13 AM
My friends bikes just need to be safety wired and thats it.

As for the price, yeah, I do bitch about it because I wanted to race this year but it didn't seem fair to me that I had to pay full price to only race half of the season. I'm waiting until next season so it's cheaper and I can invest the rest of that money elsewhere.

All I'm saying is doing some sort of promotion to really lure riders in may not be a bad idea. Hell, if I know of 5 people imagine how many other guys out there know of 2, 3 or even 5 people? Before you know it you could have 20 new entries mid season all because of a Mid Season Discount. Last cert. session I think Vanmar had 10-15 people for their class and it was full? (This is what I heard, so if this is inaccurate please inform me) If this is in fact true why not hold a class with 30 people to offset the cost of a cheaper Mid Season Cert. discount? Or, hold an open lapping day the same day as a Certification. Maybe while the students are in class there could be an open track? Again, just more ideas I'm shooting from the hip.

PremiumBlend
July 6th, 2009, 08:25 AM
I also wanted to add from an outsider looking in perspective, take this as no offense but this is just my personal opinion. Any of you ever seen the movie "Meet the Parents" with Robert DeNiro and Ben Stiller?

If you have then you would know about the "Circle of Trust". This club is awesome once you are in and accept you... it reminds me a lot of drag racing. When I raced at Bandimere I remember my Chevelle broke right in the staging lanes, within minutes I had 5 racers (3 of them I have never met) under my car with me helping me replace my transmission shifting linkage. Car was fixed and made it that round. The MRA is the same way, but the problem is it really feels like becoming part of the MRA is difficult and getting into the Circle of Trust.

Getting the MRA more involved with a variety of other sports may get this club more exposure. Because when I look at it, I see a very tight knit group of guys, but it just feels very inclusive... almost as if you need the special password at the door to get it.

As I said, take this as no offense... it's just the vibe I got before I met some of you and saw that you are all good people.

nwatkins176
July 6th, 2009, 08:45 AM
Basic economics, something is not selling = low demand. There are several ways to bring demand back up. Lower Price, Marketing, promotions, etc.

So we can't just say that the prices are fair, if they are not selling....

I hope in the future something is done to try and increase attendance at the races. The attendance is free $$. Maybe start seeing some of the board at off track events IE bike nights, Moto GP races etc..

glenngsxr
July 6th, 2009, 09:02 AM
Basic economics, something is not selling = low demand. There are several ways to bring demand back up. Lower Price, Marketing, promotions, etc.

That "basic economic condition" cannot be applied to racing because it is considered a luxury good.

There is actually a high demand for racing, but an incredible amount of barriers to entry. With a near 10% unemployment level, people are fearing for their jobs and the ones that have jobs have taken a hit in income. People are holding on to their money right now because of uncertainty. Through no fault of the club's is there a loss of membership. Glenn #62

1ofTheBoys
July 6th, 2009, 09:02 AM
My friends bikes just need to be safety wired and thats it.

As for the price, yeah, I do bitch about it because I wanted to race this year but it didn't seem fair to me that I had to pay full price to only race half of the season. I'm waiting until next season so it's cheaper and I can invest the rest of that money elsewhere.

All I'm saying is doing some sort of promotion to really lure riders in may not be a bad idea. Hell, if I know of 5 people imagine how many other guys out there know of 2, 3 or even 5 people? Before you know it you could have 20 new entries mid season all because of a Mid Season Discount. Last cert. session I think Vanmar had 10-15 people for their class and it was full? (This is what I heard, so if this is inaccurate please inform me) If this is in fact true why not hold a class with 30 people to offset the cost of a cheaper Mid Season Cert. discount? Or, hold an open lapping day the same day as a Certification. Maybe while the students are in class there could be an open track? Again, just more ideas I'm shooting from the hip.

The class price is not discounted throughout the year but the price for your license goes down depending on when you purchase your license. As for the last Race class, I heard the numbers were much higher than 15.

nwatkins176
July 6th, 2009, 09:08 AM

That "basic economic condition" cannot be applied to racing because it is considered a luxury good.

There is actually a high demand for racing, but an incredible amount of barriers to entry. With a near 10% unemployment level, people are fearing for their jobs and the ones that have jobs have taken a hit in income. People are holding on to their money right now because of uncertainty. Through no fault of the club's is there a loss of membership. Glenn #62

Goes back to basic economics that I learned in College. If people are not going then the demand is low. IE because of the unemployment rate etc. If the price was lower, more people could afford, and thus raise demand.

People wanting to race not being able to afford is not demand.

nwatkins176
July 6th, 2009, 09:09 AM

Goes back to basic economics that I learned in College. If people are not going then the demand is low. IE because of the unemployment rate etc. If the price was lower, more people could afford, and thus raise demand.

glenngsxr
July 6th, 2009, 09:18 AM

I won't disagree with you here. We are talking about the same thing in a different way though. Go grab a book really quick and look up inelastic markets for luxury goods. If memory serves me correct and with regards to entry fees only, lowering the price will not have a large affect on entries. There are so many other costs involved that they create barriers to entry. This is a problem that will go on into eternity. A decrease in entry fee prices will not lead to an increase in entries. glenn #62

Throttleroller277
July 6th, 2009, 09:31 AM
The MRA is the same way, but the problem is it really feels like becoming part of the MRA is difficult and getting into the Circle of Trust.

Getting the MRA more involved with a variety of other sports may get this club more exposure. Because when I look at it, I see a very tight knit group of guys, but it just feels very inclusive... almost as if you need the special password at the door to get it.

I am curious as to who theses members are that seem to have maybe "shunned" you away? In my years of racing in the MRA I have never seen anyone do this. Regardless of what level the racers is, everyone is always willing to help out, or answer any questions to the best of their ability, or at least send them in the direction of someone who does have the answers.

In regards to your post about the licensing costs.....

I agree that we need as many members as possible, so please don't take this the wrong way. But getting the license into people's hands isn't necessarily the answer to getting them to the track, racing. In April we had more students at the HPR race schools than I have ever seen, and we distributed nearly 300 licenses before the 1st race weekend even arrived. But we have yet to see these people at the races.

Your ideas about raising money for the club, or to get more people racing are always welcomed, and much appreciated, and it sounds as if you may be able to assist in some ways. You should attend the meeting on Wednesday at "The Walnut Room". Will you be attending?

I would also like to apologize for anyone that may have made you feel "unwelcome" or as if you needed a secret password to be a part of the MRA family. ..

~Brownie 8)

dave.gallant
July 6th, 2009, 09:39 AM
Not to be rude, but if the price of entries are the largest barrier to racing, possibly that indicates your whole race program should be evaluated with a more realistic approach. Many who want cheaper fees in the next breath are striving for bigger and better results.

In simpler terms: If you can not afford entries, you probably can not afford the 2 weeks off work and the hospital visits that roadracing will bring. It is not an if, it is a when.

Racing is indeed luxury sport. I am very much a proponent of lowering the barriers to entry, but that does not mean lowering the expectations (and therefore expenses) associated with a safe and professional club level roadracing organization.

PremiumBlend
July 6th, 2009, 09:49 AM
I am curious as to who theses members are that seem to have maybe "shunned" you away? In my years of racing in the MRA I have never seen anyone do this. Regardless of what level the racers is, everyone is always willing to help out, or answer any questions to the best of their ability, or at least send them in the direction of someone who does have the answers.
~Brownie 8)[/quote]

Nobody shunned me away, just kind of the vibe I felt from the forums and being down at the track for track days. It's not an attitude, more or less an ambiance. This was just me, no big deal... I pitted next to Ara last weekend and was more than welcome. Maybe I was his bad luck and that's why he wrecked on Friday! (Sorry Ara, I'll park by the gate next time buddy. :) )

As for the entry fees, I'm only shooting off ideas of hurdles that stand in peoples ways... for me personally it's both the money but the concept of paying full price mid season.

I'm not trying to pick any fights... I hope you all know that, I'm just telling you where I'm coming from. And many of you are right, I need to quit bitching about the entry fee prices and just pay it, but finding alternative avenues to getting people on the track may be necessary and by promoting a "sale" of some sort was just an idea.

nwatkins176
July 6th, 2009, 09:51 AM

I won't disagree with you here. We are talking about the same thing in a different way though. Go grab a book really quick and look up inelastic markets for luxury goods. If memory serves me correct and with regards to entry fees only, lowering the price will not have a large affect on entries. There are so many other costs involved that they create barriers to entry. This is a problem that will go on into eternity. A decrease in entry fee prices will not lead to an increase in entries. glenn #62

Totally agree that the other cost involved is a factor. Still I think personally if the entry fees were lower, once the racer was there that racer may sign up for more classes. Once the classes get larger then three rows the racing will improve, more people will show up. I am not familiar with inelastic for Luxury goods, but I will look it up.

Wow if there was only a way to get the cost of this sport under control we would all be sitting pretty and so many people will race that there will be an ability to lower prices..

Desmodromico
July 6th, 2009, 10:09 AM
Considering a Transponder is $400 and tires run almost $400 a set and only last a weekend or two I would say lowering the entry fees $50 would do practically nothing for enrollment.

I know when I took the race school mid-season there was a kid there who had to scrape up the money to take the class...all I could think was he had not done his homework for how much it does cost to run even one race.

That being said Chicane seems to draw pretty good crowds and the day with Boulder Motor Sports drew literally hundreds of thousands of dollars in machinery to the track, how do we convert the track day-ers into the racers is the valid question, I did it but I won't say it was automatic...I liked the cross promotional ideas being thrown out, need more of this.

cromer611
July 6th, 2009, 10:24 AM
i guess it comes down to
A: raise entry fees to balance out the poor attendance.
or
B: Cancel 2 ppir races.

after sleeping on it, i think id much rather have B. PPIR is a awesome track and all. but maybe next year not racing in hastings would help us save some $ for just a three venue season in 2010 (HPR,PPIR,PMP)

PremiumBlend
July 6th, 2009, 10:37 AM
Considering a Transponder is $400 and tires run almost $400 a set and only last a weekend or two I would say lowering the entry fees $50 would do practically nothing for enrollment.

I know when I took the race school mid-season there was a kid there who had to scrape up the money to take the class...all I could think was he had not done his homework for how much it does cost to run even one race.

That being said Chicane seems to draw pretty good crowds and the day with Boulder Motor Sports drew literally hundreds of thousands of dollars in machinery to the track, how do we convert the track day-ers into the racers is the valid question, I did it but I won't say it was automatic...I liked the cross promotional ideas being thrown out, need more of this.

I agree with you there, lowering fees all around is NOT a good idea. But promoting a 1 weekend only Sale HEAVILY may be good. Maybe trade volunteer work.... if Vanmar said we are holding a Cert. class and I could be a licensed rider for $100 but the only catch is instead of doing the mandatory 4 hours, I had to do 16 or even 20.... you better believe I'd be all over that. I have no problem putting in any sort of sweat equity if that were the case. Will others be as responsive to this idea, I don't know... I guess that all depends on how much it costs for corner workers and other positions that are considered a "Cost" to the club. But if 5 new participants joined on the Firesale Weekend that's an extra 60 hours of Volunteer work REQUIRED (if the Mandatory hours were bumped to 16 instead of 4 for the Firesale Weekend) by any new member. I don't know what that equates to regarding costs, but that HAS to save money somewhere.

T Baggins
July 6th, 2009, 01:14 PM
Fixed costs won't change just because we hold a "SALE" on entry fees.

Track Rental, cornerworker pay, insurance, security, admin and support staff pay, gate worker pay, ambulance fees, etc, etc, etc.. are all the same regardless of whether 1 or 100 show up. And they have ALL gone up considerably over the past 5 years.

We'd have to see an increase in entries well IN EXCESS of the reduction in fees to make it worthwhile. If we reduced entry fees 50%, would twice as many people show up? My experience says no.

The harsh reality is that either you can afford to race, or you can't. This is why I've taken 6 of the past 20 years "off" from racing, and a big part of why I'm not racing "at all" this year.

nwatkins176
July 6th, 2009, 01:30 PM
Tony well the club start doing anything at all to draw spectators? Maybe the club can do some PR campaigns or even some marketing. Has that been on the table?

Spectators are free money, I understand one spectator had a bike land in his lap, but there still has to be a way to draw the spectators and keep them safe.

Take a look at the Friday night drags in Pueblo. The entire town was there to watch Ford Explorers race each other. Why can't we draw a crowd like that to watch our ROR?????

PremiumBlend
July 6th, 2009, 01:41 PM
Tony well the club start doing anything at all to draw spectators? Maybe the club can do some PR campaigns or even some marketing. Has that been on the table?

Spectators are free money, I understand one spectator had a bike land in his lap, but there still has to be a way to draw the spectators and keep them safe.

Take a look at the Friday night drags in Pueblo. The entire town was there to watch Ford Explorers race each other. Why can't we draw a crowd like that to watch our ROR?????

I was thinking the same thing earlier. Radio stations are HUGE advertising buzz spots, can't the MRA hook up with a local radio station down in Pueblo and get an event organized? I love doing advertising stuff, it's fun... I'd be willing to donate my time to help get things going like that.

T Baggins
July 6th, 2009, 01:48 PM
There's an ENTIRE forum heading on PR Committe actions and events.

Here's the TOTAL activity in 2009:

http://forums.mra-racing.org/viewtopic.php?t=7834

Pathetic, no? :-(0)

This is a recurrent theme (oh god, please don't get me started...) on how "the club" should do this and "the club" should do that - but ultimately it ends up that 2-3 people actually volunteer to do something and they burn out.

There are over 200 MEMBERS of this club, all with equal rights (and responsibilities) to direct the club, grow the club, attract spectators, attract sponsors, etc... And every year about 3 people step up. The rest sit back and do absolutely nothing, and then complain when things don't go as "they had envisioned".

I'm not suggesting that's what you're doing here - I'm just saying that's how it's gone historically.

Today, right now, we have exactly NOT ONE RED CENT to spend on PR, marketing, advertising, flyers, gas money, etc, etc, etc... Every penny we have will go towards track rental, insurance, etc to run the last 3 events and hope to GOD we have a good turnout by the racers.

If anyone in the membership would like to kick down a budget and put together a PR campaign to ensure that the last 3 events are "off the hook" then please come forward. No, I'm not being a smarta$$ - I'm dead serious. If ever there was an appropriate time to do that - it is NOW!

Throttleroller277
July 6th, 2009, 01:49 PM
In the past we have tried implementing a PR comity, and it seems as though a lot of people are all about it, but then there is very little or no follow up. Especially once everyone gets busy with racing. There is a PR/Marketing page if you'd like to see what was attempted in the past. Maybe you can help get some things going.

http://forums.mra-racing.org/viewforum.php?f=18

Last season it started with a bang, but quickly died off. Here's how far it got this year.

http://forums.mra-racing.org/viewtopic.php?t=7834

Throttleroller277
July 6th, 2009, 01:52 PM
Tony beat me to it! :lol: 8)

T Baggins
July 6th, 2009, 01:53 PM

I type faster than you!

Throttleroller277
July 6th, 2009, 01:54 PM

I type faster than you!

:roll: I was busy on Facebook! 8)

PremiumBlend
July 6th, 2009, 02:00 PM
I could see how some people get burnt out on it.

I'll see you guys Wednesday and lets brainstorm some idear's to make the last 3 races "off the hook" fo sheezie!!

glenngsxr
July 6th, 2009, 02:00 PM

I was thinking the same thing earlier. Radio stations are HUGE advertising buzz spots, can't the MRA hook up with a local radio station down in Pueblo and get an event organized? I love doing advertising stuff, it's fun... I'd be willing to donate my time to help get things going like that.

This has been done in the past year or so. Everyone was so excited to get some PR going, but at the end of the day, it was only a handful of us doing anything. Print advertising is actually pretty expensive and had minimal impact. In addition, I think there are other factors that limit spectator turnout. Besides HPR being still worked on, nobody wants to pay $10 per person to watch club racing. There is no shade in Pueblo and the stands are completely terrible. The cafe is great and parking is easy though. To get fans in the gate, you need to put on a show, not just a race. Although GP "racing" has gotten rather boring, people are still in love with it because of the show. Unfortunately, to put on a show and have amenities costs $$$. Glenn #62

nwatkins176
July 6th, 2009, 02:02 PM
Both of those links are dead. Sorry I am a FNG, did not know there was an effort. I would be willing to volunteer to help out, but did not know there was a cordinated effort. Let me know what is needed. Typically PR should be free though.

PremiumBlend
July 6th, 2009, 02:09 PM

This has been done in the past year or so. Everyone was so excited to get some PR going, but at the end of the day, it was only a handful of us doing anything. Print advertising is actually pretty expensive and had minimal impact. In addition, I think there are other factors that limit spectator turnout. Besides HPR being still worked on, nobody wants to pay $10 per person to watch club racing. There is no shade in Pueblo and the stands are completely terrible. The cafe is great and parking is easy though. To get fans in the gate, you need to put on a show, not just a race. Although GP "racing" has gotten rather boring, people are still in love with it because of the show. Unfortunately, to put on a show and have amenities costs $$$. Glenn #62

Print ads are a way of the past, you have to go high tech. Virtual advertising is the new way and it's almost COMPLETELY free. The key to virtual advertising is tapping into what people want and entertain them. How do you entertain them? There are about 100 ways to do free stuff @ the track to promote spectators without having to take out HUGE print ads and what-have-you.

glenngsxr
July 6th, 2009, 02:13 PM
Both of those links are dead. Sorry I am a FNG, did not know there was an effort. I would be willing to volunteer to help out, but did not know there was a cordinated effort. Let me know what is needed. Typically PR should be free though.

Good PR is the best way to do it and typically not free. I will try to be at the meeting Wed. night to throw some ideas out, but I live in the springs so its quite a drive.

For the board, do the gate folks provide data on attendance for us? If so, may I see it? Glenn #62

glenngsxr
July 6th, 2009, 02:15 PM

Print ads are a way of the past, you have to go high tech. Virtual advertising is the new way and it's almost COMPLETELY free. The key to virtual advertising is tapping into what people want and entertain them. How do you entertain them? There are about 100 ways to do free stuff @ the track to promote spectators without having to take out HUGE print ads and what-have-you.

The problem is not entertainment once they are at the track, it's getting them TO the track. Throw some ideas out there. We would love to hear them. Glenn #62

T Baggins
July 6th, 2009, 02:20 PM
Yes, we have gate figures. Contact Lisa and she can get them to you.

nwatkins176
July 6th, 2009, 02:26 PM
KBPI does appearances for bike nights and such. The idea of promoting a new track and the tight wheel to wheel racing of Brad and Shane in ROR would probably interest many radio stations. See if a radio station can do a bike night, and promote the racing through that, then show up HPR and broadcast from there...

When I was a kid and racing BMX we were pretty quick to get local newspaper reporters there. Maybe get somebody from Denver Newspaper Agency come do a story at the next race?? That should be a good public opinion section.

Give a way some free gate entry for two by raffle at the next bike night. Surely two people will bring two more. Plus that would be free PR during the bike night.

Give a way some coupons for the roach coach at a bike night.

Give street riders a parade lap of HPR before ROR race on Sunday, and advertise that on the message boards.

Get some street riders to organize a ride from a designated spot in Denver to HPR to watch the races.

Local TV stations can do stories on our races. I see stories for the local curling championship; surely a TV station would like to do a story of us racers.

Give me a few more minutes, I will think of some more. BTW all of those should be very little if any money.

PremiumBlend
July 6th, 2009, 02:29 PM
I've got a BAZILLIAN ideas man, I'm young and full of piss & vinegar so ambition is not an issue! :)

Here's a quick and relatively free idea... swap meets. I used to go to Bandimere all of the time for swap meets. Getting a very diverse group of parts available would be key. Not just rockets, but cruisers and hogs alike. Just like anywhere else, to setup a booth it would cost $XX.... gate entry is free if you are setting up a booth. If you are there to shop you pay normal gate price and that gives you full access to the Swap Meet and Pit Access. Maybe even throw in a free Fountain Drink or bottle of water with your Gate Fee. If you race, bring something to sell. Promote this from Fort Collins to Pueblo. (Either HPR or PMP)

I don't know about you guys, but hassling with shipping and crap like that is a pain, I'm willing to drive a couple of hours to an organized swap meet for BIKES only to try and find the parts I'm looking for.

Get a place like Steele's Motorcycle Salvage yard who could bring tons of stuff to the table would be nice. I know of guys in Pueblo that love shopping @ Steele's but HATE paying the shipping prices.... well, lets bring Steele's to them.

Again, just another idea that I'm brainstorming.... don't know if it's been done with any success or not but it's worth a shot.

nwatkins176
July 6th, 2009, 02:40 PM
KBPI does appearances for bike nights and such. The idea of promoting a new track and the tight wheel to wheel racing of Brad and Shane in ROR would probably interest many radio stations. See if a radio station can do a bike night, and promote the racing through that, then show up HPR and broadcast from there...

When I was a kid and racing BMX we were pretty quick to get local newspaper reporters there. Maybe get somebody from Denver Newspaper Agency come do a story at the next race?? That should be a good public opinion section.

Give a way some free gate entry for two by raffle at the next bike night. Surely two people will bring two more. Plus that would be free PR during the bike night.

Give a way some coupons for the roach coach at a bike night.

Give street riders a parade lap of HPR before ROR race on Sunday, and advertise that on the message boards.

Get some street riders to organize a ride from a designated spot in Denver to HPR to watch the races.

Local TV stations can do stories on our races. I see stories for the local curling championship; surely a TV station would like to do a story of us racers.

Give me a few more minutes, I will think of some more. BTW all of those should be very little if any money.

JimWilson29
July 6th, 2009, 03:10 PM
If anyone in the membership would like to kick down a budget and put together a PR campaign to ensure that the last 3 events are "off the hook" then please come forward. No, I'm not being a smarta$$ - I'm dead serious. If ever there was an appropriate time to do that - it is NOW!

I stepped forward last season and created a flyer and printed them-
http://forums.mra-racing.org/viewtopic.php?t=6653&highlight=mra+flyer I contacted the PR committee twice before this season started in regards to creating another for this season and I did not receive a response. I will create another for the remaining 3 HPR races if the board is okay with that.

In the past we have tried implementing a PR comity, and it seems as though a lot of people are all about it, but then there is very little or no follow up. Especially once everyone gets busy with racing. There is a PR/Marketing page if you'd like to see what was attempted in the past. Maybe you can help get some things going.

I have been all about it and never received an acknowledgement. See above, I will gladly put some time towards it again.

I disagree. When your audience is customers at bike shops, or at bike events, or other sporting events, you need something to physically put in their hands to take with them. That combined with virtual advertising is a good start. I distribute about 200 flyers every other week on top of setting up facebook and myspace events and an email distribution list.

The problem is not entertainment once they are at the track, it's getting them TO the track. Throw some ideas out there. We would love to hear them. Glenn #62

Bingo! Spectators are not coming to watch the MRA not because its boring nor great entertainment, they don't come because they dont know about it. Give them reason to come. Some may not like but I believe alot would get hooked on it just like I did 7 years ago as did the rest of us at one point.

KBPI charges for these promotional events. I did one with them last year at Dave & Busters and fortunately Yamaha picked up the tab. I approached KBPI and 103.5 The Fox this year about doing a promotion and the cost was too high for the sponsors of my events to cover so I doubt the MRA will be able to afford it either.

jplracing
July 6th, 2009, 03:24 PM
I agree with Jim that people need to have something in there hand

Since Tony has stated there isn't any money to print flyers....Rebellion will toss in $100.00 towards the cause

Obviously the MRA needs to allow the use of there logo, which may have been a problem in the past...can someone comment?

Jim, I will contact you about getting the money to the flyer effort

Anyone else willing to toss in some money to try and draw more people?

Joe

PremiumBlend
July 6th, 2009, 03:44 PM

Since Tony has stated there isn't any money to print flyers....Rebellion will toss in $100.00 towards the cause

Obviously the MRA needs to allow the use of there logo, which may have been a problem in the past...can someone comment?

Joe

From here on, anyone that has any ideas should write these down and bring them to the Walnut Room on Wed. night. If you can't make it Wed night then lets find a way to get our ideas in the right hands.

This isn't directed at you, just quoting your suggestion and willingness to lend a hand.

Throttleroller277
July 6th, 2009, 03:47 PM
You should start a new thread on the PR page....... 8)

jplracing
July 6th, 2009, 03:49 PM
Jeff are you talking to me or Priemumblend?

JimWilson29
July 6th, 2009, 03:51 PM
You should start a new thread on the PR page....... 8)

If thats directed at me, I unfortunately have never had access to the PR page on this forum.

From here on, anyone that has any ideas should write these down and bring them to the Walnut Room on Wed. night. If you can't make it Wed night then lets find a way to get our ideas in the right hands.

This isn't directed at you, just quoting your suggestion and willingness to lend a hand.

Sorry cant make it. Got 200+ people showing up at bike night on Wednesday. 8)

Joe

I'll see if I can get something put together before Wednesdays meeting that you can take with you.

Throttleroller277
July 6th, 2009, 04:17 PM
Jeff are you talking to me or Priemumblend?

I opened a new one.

http://forums.mra-racing.org/viewtopic.php?t=8966

8)

PremiumBlend
July 6th, 2009, 04:17 PM
There is a PR page?? Can't say I have access to that.

Throttleroller277
July 6th, 2009, 04:21 PM
There is a PR page?? Can't say I have access to that.

Hmmm..... I guess only people that were a part of it in the past have access. I was not aware of that fellas, sorry. Or I just forgot, i have hit my head a few times.

Maybe just start a new thread in the General Discussion for now.

8)

T Baggins
July 6th, 2009, 04:30 PM
I think it would be best to start a separate thread in the General Discussion area, since the PR Forum is by invitation only. Once we get some good, attainable ideas we can allow access to the PR Forum to those involved. I had forgotten it was limited access as well. :?

T Baggins
July 6th, 2009, 04:35 PM

Joe

There has been an issue with using the Logo in the past - but only because it wasn't used with permission of the Board. Obviously if the intent of the flyer is to promote "The MRA" then use of the logo is fine. When it's used with promotions that aren't really "part" of the MRA or our sanctioned events, then it gets messy... Trivial distinction - yes, but part of our insurance and sanctioning/risk management requirements.

Jim, unfortunately your offer to make the flyers again for 2009 never made it to the Board - so that is obviously why you never heard a response... :oops:

Jim 'smooth' Brewer
July 6th, 2009, 11:14 PM
Since finances are the main issue here, keep in mind that there's about a 20:1 ratio for the money brought into the club by a racer vs. a spectator.

A typical racer will spend about $180 on entries and maybe have 2 other pit crew for $10 each. A spectator brings in $10.

So if we're going to spend PR dollars and peoples' effort, we're about 20 times more financially effective getting racers to come out, rather than spectators.

JimWilson29
July 7th, 2009, 07:16 AM
Since finances are the main issue here, keep in mind that there's about a 20:1 ratio for the money brought into the club by a racer vs. a spectator.

A typical racer will spend about $180 on entries and maybe have 2 other pit crew for $10 each. A spectator brings in $10.

So if we're going to spend PR dollars and peoples' effort, we're about 20 times more financially effective getting racers to come out, rather than spectators.

James, would you agree that a large percentage of potential new racers or track day participants started off as spectators? That is how I first got interested. I realize that getting more spectators is not the ultimate solution for the club's current woes but I believe every little bit that we can do will help.

PremiumBlend
July 7th, 2009, 09:39 AM

James, would you agree that a large percentage of potential new racers or track day participants started off as spectators? That is how I first got interested. I realize that getting more spectators is not the ultimate solution for the club's current woes but I believe every little bit that we can do will help.

I think what Jim was trying to say is we need to get the spectators "involved" more. Try and convert them from a spectator to a racer b/c then more money can be made.

At least that was my take on it...

JimWilson29
July 7th, 2009, 09:59 AM

I think what Jim was trying to say is we need to get the spectators "involved" more. Try and convert them from a spectator to a racer b/c then more money can be made.

At least that was my take on it...

I know what Jim is trying to say. Thanks.

T Baggins
July 7th, 2009, 10:53 AM
Let's move this discussion here:

http://forums.mra-racing.org/viewtopic.php?p=51787#51787

as it is occuring simultaneously in two different threads.

Thanks!