PDA

View Full Version : How can we make it better?

Timmay!
June 29th, 2009, 03:21 PM
Corner working is a tough job.
We have tried to offset this with pay increases, hotel reimbursement increases, drink service, better lunches, canopies and most recently with the purchase of bucket/seats.
I think there is still room for improvement. Tell me, what would make it more enjoyable for you? All suggestions are welcome. If you want you can IM me with your thoughts.

Munch
June 29th, 2009, 03:48 PM
Moto GP umbrella girls?

Just a thought!

DOUBLE A
June 29th, 2009, 03:52 PM
haha :lol:, maybe sunblock for everyone ......... Nicole. 8)

Actually after my day doing it out @ HPR, I thought it was awsome, & exceeded any expectations I had......good work Tim!

fairrpe86
June 29th, 2009, 10:02 PM
I think things have gone quite well this year. The workers seem to be well taken care of and the organization has been top notch and there seems to be a lot less confusion than before.

sicilanaNV
June 29th, 2009, 11:42 PM
How about A/C??
Fruity drinks with those little umbrellas in them...
or how about putting ice in those buckets so we can have COLD drinks??
:D

-Thanks Aaron for the suggestion of sunblock! too bad i didn't think of that :!:

mopoet178
July 22nd, 2009, 11:02 PM
serious suggestion here:

FM radio in each manned bunker, so we can hear Autumn do her announcer thing. This can wait till MRA has some spare cash hanging around though.

that is how it works, right? the calls and announcements are broadcasted over FM, right?

-Marsh

T Baggins
July 23rd, 2009, 08:46 AM
You guys and gals can certainly bring your own boom-boxes if you have them.

BrianM
July 23rd, 2009, 12:45 PM
I'm not even in the area yet (hanging out in Alaska for the summer, moving to Denver area in September), but I did 4 years of corner-working with MARRC at Summit Point, WV. Not knowing what you do, I'll just list how it worked out there/what they did and try to figgure out why I kept going back... Please understand that I've not been near a track since 2000, this was all from 1996~2000

First of all, we weren't paid at all. We received free entrance to the track, lunch and dinner on Saturday and lunch on Sunday. Oh, and we were given a shirt (white w/ MARRC logo). That was it for compensation. There were days when the track was in threat of not being able to run because we had too few people, at which point the call went out for volunteers. Normally it'd be a couple racers who'd work a half day, sometimes we'd get spectators.

The crash truck did drink services (just water) through the day. We all had radios, though the corner captains were the only ones with mics at first, by the time I went to racing full time, most all of the radios had mics.

About every 3rd race weekend or so, there would be enough stuff donated to MARRC from the racers and business that they would hold a raffle for the corner-workers who were on site. EVERYONE would get something, you just hoped to get an early draw to pick out the 'good' stuff. Though if you wore the corner working shirt into the pits, you'd almost ALWAYS be offered food and drinks by the racers. The respect/thanks from the racers meant as much to me as all the rest.

At the end of the season, there was a corner worker party where pizza and sodas were provided. There was usually a slideshow of photos of the workers (one of the frequent corner workers was a professional photographer), and then awards. Some were the silly kind like "most likely to eat a bug at lunch", some were honoring those who worked every race weekend (we received rather nice custom jackets one year), pins were given out to everyone and I think there was another raffle once or twice.

I started going because I wanted to race but was too poor. I kept going back because it was made an enjoyable experience (the humor of the crew was great). After 2 years, I finally had enough money to start racing a little and I was given a discount on the racer school, test and tune days, and an unbelievable amount of mechanical support by both MARRC crew and racers who knew I'd been corner working for a couple years. But I didn't know, or expect, those going into it. I think it was just mostly my personality that kept me going back to corner work. I really enjoyed corner working (and will be dragging my wife along with me to help you all in the future).

What I, personally, would appreciate most would be discounts towards track days. I've previously worked 2 days and gotten a day free (and worked 1 day, gotten 1 day free ~ but that was only 1 time when they were in need).

Anyway, more information never hurts. Of all the places I've done corner working, Summit Point was the best (MARRC). They are the only ones who got multiple years out of me (though, to be fair, I haven't spent multiple years near a track since then).

Brian

Timmay!
July 23rd, 2009, 05:43 PM
Brian, thanks for your input.