PDA

View Full Version : First race this weekend, a few questions still...

Desmodromico
June 25th, 2009, 09:44 AM
I am finally going to run my first race, MW endurance this weekend at Pueblo and just had a couple questions about what to expect.

First Novice practice is at 8am, I know I need to go through registration and tech, I was planning on coming down Saturday morning, what time does registration/tech etc. open for business? I am kind of nervous just because the bike has never been through tech and if something needs to be worked on I don't want to miss the practice sessions.

Anyone have a noobie "flow chart" for what to do when I get to the track Saturday morning?

Ray-Ray
June 25th, 2009, 09:49 AM
Pre-tech is open at 6:30
Tech is open at 7:00

Oh and you should race Heavyweight Endurance with ME! I'm on a 749r as well. (we need to fill the grids for contingency)

T Baggins
June 25th, 2009, 09:50 AM
http://forums.mra-racing.org/viewtopic.php?t=5398

Desmodromico
June 25th, 2009, 10:16 AM
Thanks for the times Ray, I have the schedule for the sessions just want to make sure I get all the other stuff done first. Right now I am registered in MW endurance but obviously haven't paid, don't think I can run both back to back but if it is better for the club for me to run HW I am open to that, not like I will be near the front in either one.

I assume I can get an MRA sticker at tech, do I need a number on my helmet as well? If so is it a yellow background too?

Thanks in advance!

DOUBLE A
June 25th, 2009, 10:21 AM
not that I am a rider rep, or anything, I am actually a newb, but I had the same shit going on the first race, & kindof flying by the seat of my pants, but I know what to do now, and could help you out bro! Give me a call & I can hook you up with some info, lots faster that reading it here in a few hours.....HAHA Call me anytime 720.219.2150 -Aaron

Ray-Ray
June 25th, 2009, 11:36 AM
Thanks for the times Ray, I have the schedule for the sessions just want to make sure I get all the other stuff done first. Right now I am registered in MW endurance but obviously haven't paid, don't think I can run both back to back but if it is better for the club for me to run HW I am open to that, not like I will be near the front in either one.

I assume I can get an MRA sticker at tech, do I need a number on my helmet as well? If so is it a yellow background too?

Thanks in advance!

Yes, you will need your race number on the sides of your helmet. (by the chin) Preferably in contrasting colors. No need to have a yellow background.

Look forward to meeting you!

glenngsxr
June 25th, 2009, 12:38 PM
Come find me Saturday morning and I will give your bike a run down and make sure you did not miss anything. I am #62, white gsxr under the Vanmar Michelin canopy. I remember my first race weekend and it was crazy. I can also show you things to do that will save you tons of time. Glenn #62

bluedevil
June 25th, 2009, 03:07 PM
Best advice on 1st weekend. Show up at 6am or earlier. Get lower off right away Pre-tech when it opens, and then get to tech when it opens so U have no line. If U missed anything, you have plenty of time before practice opens to get to tech again.

phildrummond
June 25th, 2009, 03:41 PM
I'm kind of a noob. I usually race MWEnd only. My advice is if you know the track, relax and don't rush to get the 8am practice. You'll have 2 other morning practices, then afternoon practice just before you race.

See Tony with your AMA card in the office and get your pre-tech slip. Then get to Ray-Ray with your bike and helmet. Rules say to bring lowers, leathers, etc. They don't check those. I went walking up on my first race with trying to carry all that crap and roll the bike. No need.

Bring a drill, 3/16 bits just in case Ray finds stuff you forgot to wire. If you don't put pressure on yourself to hit the first practice, the morning will be more fun. Good luck and have fun.

Desmodromico
June 25th, 2009, 10:00 PM
Thanks for the awesome tips everyone, and Glenn and Aaron I will try to track you guys down too to bug you for advice.

Time to finish up the last few things on the bike tomorrow, hopefully I will sleep the next couple nights, definitely a bit nervous!

Desmodromico
June 27th, 2009, 08:02 PM
Thanks to everybody that helped me out today getting to the right places and setting up and tearing down and to the MRA staff for making everything go so smoothly.

Special thanks to Erik Cromer for fixing my generator and Casey and Munch for the support!

Can't wait until the next round, I think the sprint races will be better for now though, finishing the endurance race was truly a challenge in the heat and wind!