PDA

View Full Version : Need a labor/employment lawyer

froth
June 2nd, 2009, 06:16 PM
Long and Short of it:
It involves a minor(son), job offer/contract labor/fraud.

I need to buy an hour of your time to figure out what to do.

Thanks

Fred

benfoxmra95
June 2nd, 2009, 11:30 PM
contact ed smalley, he's a lawyer and a mra racer, not his specialty what you need, but he'll know what to do for sure.

you might even see him this weekend at HPR

Someone here should have his number.

froth
June 3rd, 2009, 06:05 AM
Thanks- I've got his number, and will call him today. BTW Jookt sucks. Bunch of liars.

benfoxmra95
June 3rd, 2009, 08:35 AM
Thanks- I've got his number, and will call him today. BTW Jookt sucks. Bunch of liars.

what is jookt?

terid
June 3rd, 2009, 03:49 PM
they are an on-line prep sports social network (aka facebook, but for sports). They offered teenagers (including ours) jobs, then when they showed up for work, told them they decided NOT to pay them, but they would have the opportunity to work for prizes instead. And want them to sign an independent contractors agreement (they are f**kin' minors for f**k sake!) AND they have to carry General Liability Insurance (WTF???)

Scammers, big time, bait and switch, yada, yada,

Ed was great, thanks. we'll see now what the AG and Dept of Labor do,

but in the meantime, we have a teenager that does NOT have a summer job.....

thanks for the referral!

no, this hasn't got me all riled up this week at all...has it honey :evil:

benfoxmra95
June 3rd, 2009, 04:14 PM
Interesting.

When I was 18 and only just a shade more stupider than now, i responded to an add in the local paper about becoming a "regional sales manager" for a high volume distribution company, $1500 a week.... willing to train young and promising up&comers. :shock: remember this was in 1990 so that was big freakin money to a kid.

I showed up all dressed up in a suit and tie and shit, thinking I was getting into some bigwig corporate big schmoozin thing.

I sat in an interview at 6:00am for a half an hour with a guy that wasn't much older than me. After a few introductory questions he gets up and says, your hired.... holy crap, im on my way to becoming the next gordon gekko at 18 years old.

Next phase, he shuffles me into a room by 6:30am with 20 other people all about my age. So then into the room come about 10 guys that already work there(sales managers) and are trying to get us all excited and wound up about the day to come, by doing jumping jacks and yelling and doing marine corp chants. (so at this point im kinda like WTF am i getting excited about, WTF are we training for?)

Next thing I know We are all split up into groups of four shoved into little shitbox cars and driven about 30 miles away from our cars to densely populated business sites. the "team leader" gets out and says, let's get ready to sell..... "sell? sell what? WTF are we doing here?"

He opens the trunk gets out four boxes hands us each a box to carry and then tells us to follow him. We start heading into some local business nearby and He pops open his box and pulls out a pair of fucking slippers and trys to start "cold selling" them to the people at the business we just walked into. Like the secretarys and sales people working there. OMFG.....

It gets better......the slippers were exact replicas of "grimm" the dog from the cartoon "mother goose and grimm" in the sunday paper.....

MUTHER effer....! I was stuck with this complete J.A. all effen day because he wouldn't drive us back. lugging his shit around. (remember 1990...no cell phones) we were walking up and down business complex districts no where near 7-11's or anything like that.

Lesson learned, 1 day of my life lost to idiocy and the illusion of fame and fortune.

terid
June 3rd, 2009, 04:36 PM
:lol: thanks, I needed that laugh,
and yep, pretty much the same sort of thing, just 20 years later, taking advantage of that dream of fortune and glory :lol:

teenagers with stars in their eyes, oye

businesses that take advantage of those teenagers - double oye

short of spending 20 years in jail for what I'd LIKE to see happen to them (that's the mom talking and that's Fred's job), I'd settle for making their business reputation suck eggs and their existence short and sweet.

but you are right, in the end, it will be a good lesson, and in this case, a waste of only a couple weeks of time....
:?
:(
:roll:

but still....I wanna hurt someone in the meantime

froth
June 3rd, 2009, 09:49 PM
Thanks for the infor gang. I think these morons are now running and hiding.