PDA

View Full Version : Introducing an 8 year old to dirt biking

akuretz
June 1st, 2009, 04:03 PM
I've got a friend with an 8 year old son who is fascinated with motorcycles, and dirt bikes in particular. My friend was recently asking me how to she could get her son an introduction to riding, taking some classes or an instruction course. They don't own bikes and she doesn't ride, but I'm sure she'd get one for him if he takes to it. I'd take him out but the smallest bike I have is a CRF230.

One idea I had was to contact Danny Walker at American Superbike since he's up in my area (Fort Collins). Do any of the local tracks offer intro days/classes/camps? Does anyone have any other suggestions?

ZiaThunder
June 1st, 2009, 04:28 PM
MSF offers a dirt bike school for kids down to the age of 6... and for the much older kids (adults). You don't have to have any gear or a bike, they will supply it all.

It is a bit of a drive from ya, but there is a guy in Montrose who does the course and he is awesome. I took the class with him a couple of years ago.

Jon
June 1st, 2009, 04:35 PM
Ricky Orlando has taught many many kids to ride. He's a MSF instructor and has classes or one on one's for all kids. www.rickyorlando.com or 303-666-6061. Yes he has dirtbikes available just give him a shout and get signed up. Tell him Jonboy sent you!
Hey to the wife and tator tot!

akuretz
June 1st, 2009, 04:58 PM
ZiaThunder, thanks! I found the dirtbikeschool.com site that has all the info on that class, thanks.

Jon, I knew Ricky did MSF instruction but didn't know they also covered dirt bike stuff. That might be a nice fit with his proximity to Fort Collins. Thanks for letting me know! I'm going to try to head out to HPR this weekend to watch you all go in circles, I'll be sure to stop by though I'm not sure if Lynn and Jack will be coming or not (Lynn is 7 months pregnant so not as mobile as usual :) ).

jplracing
June 1st, 2009, 05:00 PM
Alex

Try to track down Dave Newell. He is a great teacher for kids and reasonable priced.

He used to work for Performance Cycle, but is now at a gear/speciality shop on W Colfax...can't remember the name of it. I bet if you call performance and ask to speak to don, bernie, or eddie they will know how to get ahold of Dave

Joe

Wild Cheetah 612
June 1st, 2009, 05:12 PM
Hey Alex,

You are more than welcome to borrow my CRF50 (well, it's built to an 82).
You're still nearby me, right?

d

akuretz
June 1st, 2009, 05:19 PM
Thanks Joe, I'll add Dave to the list for my friend.

Thanks Donna! To be honest I don't know the kid very well, friend of a friend thing, and I've never taught a kid to ride (yet, I'm waiting to screw Jack up somehow :roll: :lol: ). I'll definitely keep that in mind, though, since I'm not in a position to race much if at all this year I'm trying to get more dirt and trail riding in. And yes, we live just across the railroad tracks so only a minute or two away from you and Dan.

Wild Cheetah 612
June 1st, 2009, 05:22 PM
Just let me know if you want to use it. I only use that bike for a pit bike. So any other time is fine.