PDA

View Full Version : stripped the bike and found a problem.

toptier
May 27th, 2009, 09:59 AM
I was tearing down the bike an noticed that my frame slider was loose and then saw that the mount was broken on the motor. Can it be welded back together or am I going to have to get a new engine casing?

How can I fix this?

http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb1/Toptierrider/damage/IMG_4486.jpg

dave.gallant
May 27th, 2009, 10:04 AM
I don't know Hondas -- does that thread into the head?

Is that right below the valve cover gasket?

PremiumBlend
May 27th, 2009, 10:07 AM
2 options here...

(1) Re-threading the hole with a slightly larger bolt, replace bolt with a Grade 7 bolt NOT A GRADE 8 as a Grade 8 is too strong and will rip out the mount. (This is a quick fix, and only works if you have barely stripped the bolt out... I don't recommend this fix but it'll work in a pinch sometimes)

(2) Helicoil it. Here is quick how to on this:
http://www.roadstarmagazine.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=233

Hope this helps.

JimWilson29
May 27th, 2009, 10:09 AM
2 options here...

(1) Re-threading the hole with a slightly larger bolt, replace bolt with a Grade 7 bolt NOT A GRADE 8 as a Grade 8 is too strong and will rip out the mount. (This is a quick fix, and only works if you have barely stripped the bolt out... I don't recommend this fix but it'll work in a pinch sometimes)

Hope this helps.

you should take a closer look at the pic that he posted.

dave.gallant
May 27th, 2009, 10:11 AM
2 options here...

Hope this helps.

Or, maybe take a look at the picture at all.

cromer611
May 27th, 2009, 10:33 AM
looks like it threads into the cylinder : (

The GECCO
May 27th, 2009, 10:47 AM
Drop the motor out and take it to a GOOD aluminum welder. Start with Denny Burke at Brighton Radiator, if he can't do it he'll know who can. Basically have the welder completely rebuild that area of the head with aluminum weld, then drill and tap a new hole (after the motor is back in the frame, to insure it lines up)

PremiumBlend
May 27th, 2009, 01:58 PM
2 options here...

Hope this helps.

Or, maybe take a look at the picture at all.

Yeah, I can't see the picture at work at all... but the way it sounded to me was he stripped out the bolt. Did he break a motor mount completely?

toptier
May 27th, 2009, 02:04 PM
yep the motor mount is broken.

So who wants to help me pull the motor? I have never done a job like that before. I don't even know if I have the proper tools to get it out.

PremiumBlend
May 27th, 2009, 02:11 PM

So who wants to help me pull the motor? I have never done a job like that before. I don't even know if I have the proper tools to get it out.

Oh man, yeah thats no good! Just be sure to have a 8mm, 10mm, 12mm, 14mm and 17mm sockets laying around. :)

dave.gallant
May 27th, 2009, 02:16 PM

Oh man, yeah thats no good! Just be sure to have a 8mm, 10mm, 12mm, 14mm and 17mm sockets laying around. :)

And a floor jack. That is all that is really needed.

Brian38
May 27th, 2009, 02:40 PM

And a floor jack. That is all that is really needed.

If he hasn't done it before better get some band-aids 8)

Throttleroller277
May 27th, 2009, 02:52 PM
I'd be more than happy to help you pull it Jon, but I'll be at Miller this weekend. I could help when I return next week. 8)

toptier
May 27th, 2009, 03:20 PM
Thanks Jeff. Hopefully I will have it out before you get back if not I will let you know.

dragos13
May 27th, 2009, 05:38 PM
Jon let me know if you need help also. I have alot of free time and would be happy to help you pull the motor. Hope you get back on the track soon bro!

TRK
May 27th, 2009, 06:13 PM
JB weld :shock:

dave.gallant
May 27th, 2009, 06:39 PM
JB weld :shock:

Please, do not listen to Moham's advice. :)

Jon
May 27th, 2009, 11:33 PM
Amazing things have been done using JB weld. I've seen engine cases rebuilt with it, ports filled and redrilled with it but I probably wouldn't suggest using it for this fix.
I assume the reason you pulled the bike apart in the first place was trying to find why it was such a flexy flyer and you've found it. First of all most bikes these days use the engine as a stressed member and the engine serves to stiffen the whole chassis. Usually you'll find some sort of locking device on one or more of the engine mounting bolts. These use a special tool so check the specific manufacters shop manual for the bike, get the tool and follow closely the procedure for removal and replacement of the engine into the frame. It most always calls for a torque setting on the specific bolts followed by another on the lock nut. Good luck and happy trails

TRK
May 29th, 2009, 11:35 AM
I was playing geeeeeeeeeze