PDA

View Full Version : Starting Lights Visibility at HPR

dirkterrell
May 11th, 2009, 04:45 PM
For NGTO on Saturday, I was gridded 13-middle and my line of sight to the starting lights was blocked by the rider in row 12 and to my left. I had to lean way off the bike to the right to see the lights, which made for a less than optimal start. I was wondering if anyone else had that problem.

Dirk

phildrummond
May 12th, 2009, 01:53 PM
Hey, row 13...that's about where I usually am! I believe you can adjust your grid spot to the left or right just a bit of your dot to see the lights. If Father Time gives you grief at the start, just let him know why and he'll be OK with it. As long as you don't jump the start, he should be fine with you off line a bit.

Scored51
May 12th, 2009, 03:14 PM
Be careful and polite with that advice. Issues have risen in the past about starting positions relative to where the dot is painted on the grid. Here is what the current rulebook states 7.1.E, "Riders who are not properly staged at the green flag/light will be assessed a stop and go penalty on pit road. A rider is considered staged if the front axle is behind but no more than 18” behind the designated row line and the front wheel is at a complete stop."

If there is an alignment issue with where the dots are painted, it should definitely be addressed.

phildrummond
May 12th, 2009, 03:32 PM
Gosh, I hope I was polite. I'm always gridded near the back, so it's a bunch of riders to look through. I had guessed Bob could make the call at the start if you couldn't see the lights but I suppose best to check the rulebook...

dirkterrell
May 12th, 2009, 03:59 PM
Yeah, I think it would be appropriate to have the lights displayed so that everyone can see them from the properly staged position. Another couple of feet higher and they would have been visible from my position.

Dirk

racedk6
June 11th, 2009, 12:19 AM
sounds like we need a 2 foot high wooden box made for the tree light

dragos13
June 11th, 2009, 09:14 AM
sounds like we need a 2 foot high wooden box made for the tree light

That wouldn't work cuz then the guys in front would have to crack their neck up to see it. Per the rulebook, you have 18 inches of ajustment to get a good line of sight:

Section 7.1.E
The start shall be a full-stop start. Riders who are not properly staged at the green flag/light will be assessed a stop and go penalty on pit road. A rider is considered staged if the front axle is behind but no more than 18” behind the designated row line and the front wheel is at a complete stop.

DOUBLE A
June 11th, 2009, 09:33 AM
just wait till everyone in front of you leaves :D then go

cornerworkr
June 11th, 2009, 03:55 PM
I talked to one person who still had trouble seeing the light even with the top two lights wired. Did anyone else have a problem seeing it?

Starter Bob