PDA

View Full Version : Welcome to the MRA

benfoxmra95
May 10th, 2009, 09:24 PM
So, I wanted to make sure that no dunlop riders were effed this weekend by not having anyone there to change tires.

I showed up even though Im not selling them any longer, out of a feeling of commitment to the people that needed me there.

I changed alot of tire this weekend.

Here's what really effing cool......

Kane lasky, the out town guy who showed up with the kawi's had me change all his tires this weekend, he was running dunlops.

I changed maybe 5 sets of tires for him and was checking his pressures and temps right off the track, when i had time. I did this for every dunlop rider this weekend, why? even though Im not selling them, because I was trying to make sure everyone got the support they needed, because HPR is a tire monster on tires, and even though dunlop won't help me out, I wanted to give the extra effort for my friends, and also because I was really just curious for information from as many people on tires as possible. You really get a good perspective of the situation as a whole when you have that much info. Just some experience I wanted for my mental tool box.

Anyways.... Kane comes up to me at the end of sunday and is the most thankful person I've run across. He's goes on about how other places he's been that you just don't get that type of help or service. He then Asks me how much I wanted for helping him(i.e. money) ,surprised, i say i don't care how bout $20. he smirks and shoves a $100 bill in my hand, wholeheartedly thanking me again.

That's class.

Thanks Kane, welcome to the MRA. You'll fit in nicely around here.

Nice win in Open superbike, too!

NossLou
May 10th, 2009, 10:04 PM
Hey Ben,

I was the dupey novice who came over asking for tire pressures, after butchering a set of 211's for rains. I want to also thank you for your help and really do appreciate you being there.

Pressure were right on!

Thanks man!

glenngsxr
May 11th, 2009, 07:23 AM
I did see you were very busy with tires all weekend Ben. Very cool indeed of you to help people out! Glenn #62

Wild Cheetah 612
May 11th, 2009, 08:34 AM
I just happened across this email address upon googling dunlop sport tire. Maybe, just maybe, you Dunslop (oops, did I misspell that?) guys should email this guy and let him know how dedicated to Dunlop, respectable, and hardworking a man Ben Fox is and how the MRA needs better support for the Dunlop riders. Many riders were hosed on tires this past weekend and Ben did everything over and above to support you guys. dennis@sporttire.com

Uh...you didn't hear this from me.

dimick27
May 11th, 2009, 10:07 AM
Ben just wanted to say thanks for all the hard work over the weekend you were busting your ass making sure all the dunlop guys/gals were gettin taken care of and i think i can speak for all of us, we GREATLY appreciate it! i know personally as many tire problems the track was causing us this weekend we definitely wouldnt have been as successful without your input! ill def. be sitting down tonight after work and writing dennis from sport tire a little email explaining the situation and i hope others will to! they need to know how hard you are working to keep dunlop in this club!

thanks again!

dalton

Jim 'smooth' Brewer
May 11th, 2009, 01:30 PM
Ben isn't Dunlop. He did all the tire changing so the guys he *was* supporting didn't get left out in the cold.

Very few people paid him for his effort. A lot of people left him with torched tires that he has to pay $6 each to dispose of.

If any of you received help from Ben (mounting, balancing, temps, pressures, etc.) you should "even up" with him.

dave.gallant
May 11th, 2009, 01:41 PM
Very few people paid him for his effort. A lot of people left him with torched tires that he has to pay $6 each to dispose of..

This is the exact life of "the" tire guy, no matter what the brand.

I think a Dunlop rider (or better yet, Pirelli/Michelin/Bridgestone rider) should bring Ben a 6 pack of his favorite beverage next round. I am sure Ben was chasing shagged tires all weekend long(?) to boot, and that is no fun at all...

(Last season that bastard Dunlop rider Mike Applegate would come to my pits and drink my beer instead of giving it to me. Watch out for that little weasel!! :shock: 8) 8) )

Munch
May 11th, 2009, 02:02 PM
Ben, what's your favorite brew??

Jim 'smooth' Brewer
May 11th, 2009, 02:41 PM
Guys, as quaint as a six-pack of beer would be, it doesn't help Ben pay for tire disposals, his mortgage, or feed his family.

Does it take a visiting racer like Kane Lasky to show us how to take care of our own MRA suppliers?

dave.gallant
May 11th, 2009, 02:46 PM
Guys, as quaint as a six-pack of beer would be, it doesn't help Ben pay for tire disposals, his mortgage, or feed his family.

Technically, this is not a problem for Ben any longer.

And Jimmy -- you should know as well as anyone that the margins on race tires are so slim it is far from a money making proposition.

But, if you really feel that strongly, feel free to bring ME a 6 pack instead of Ben.

Jim 'smooth' Brewer
May 11th, 2009, 03:21 PM
Technically, this is not a problem for Ben any longer.
It is if we still want him showing up at the track and changing tires for us.

And you're right, the margins are horribly slim, so the investment in inventory is a huge risk with virtually no upside.

Maybe, just maybe, if it turns out to be financially viable for support/mount/balance work, we can coerce him back into the deal. (I'm talking about him like he's some disembodied entity .. )

But, if you really feel that strongly, feel free to bring ME a 6 pack instead of Ben.
Ok, but you gotta show up @ the track. Are you good with Otis' brand?

dave.gallant
May 11th, 2009, 03:29 PM
(I'm talking about him like he's some disembodied entity .. )

Come on now; we are all racers. We have all been disembodied! :)

Ok, but you gotta show up @ the track. Are you good with Otis' brand?

I will be at the track soon enough, but please none of Oti's's beer! :)

How about a nice Stella, or even a chilled Red Stripe? Or Asahi or Soporo is good too.

And, if possible, I would like it hand delivered by The Green Fairy himself. Think that is possible?????

PremiumBlend
May 11th, 2009, 03:34 PM
What happened to the good old days of a good Budweiser or Coors... who drinks Sapororoaororo? Sounds more like a shot!

dave.gallant
May 11th, 2009, 03:41 PM
What happened to the good old days of a good Budweiser or Coors... who drinks Sapororoaororo? Sounds more like a shot!

I wouldn't call those "Good Ol Days" then!! :)

If I have to drink a draft beer tho, nothing beats a Newcastle draft at the 12 Volt Tavern. Not sure what Marty does to the taps, but ahhhhh -- sweet nectar.

(Did that earn me a free Newcastle Marty????? :) )

PremiumBlend
May 11th, 2009, 03:46 PM
From the tap... Easy Street ALLLLLLLLL day!

DOUBLE A
May 11th, 2009, 03:48 PM
THANKS BEN!!!

Throttleroller277
May 11th, 2009, 03:55 PM

I wouldn't call those "Good Ol Days" then!! :)

If I have to drink a draft beer tho, nothing beats a Newcastle draft at the 12 Volt Tavern. Not sure what Marty does to the taps, but ahhhhh -- sweet nectar.

(Did that earn me a free Newcastle Marty????? :) )

You can have a free "Mat" drink, or a shot out of the "Slop Bucket" any time you'd like........ 8)

dave.gallant
May 11th, 2009, 03:57 PM
You can have a free "Mat" drink, or a shot out of the "Slop Bucket" any time you'd like........ 8)

I love ya Brownie; If I dipped into the SlopBucket, what would you get then????

8)

Throttleroller277
May 11th, 2009, 04:01 PM

8)

2 things:

A damn good laugh.....

And a new Drinkin Partner....

8)

dave.gallant
May 11th, 2009, 04:03 PM

8)

2 things:

A damn good laugh.....

And a new Drinkin Partner....

8)

Damn -- I am laughing so hard I don't even have a response for that.

Good work Mr Brown!

The GECCO
May 11th, 2009, 04:26 PM

Especially since Ben doesn't drink! 8)

dave.gallant
May 11th, 2009, 04:34 PM

Especially since Ben doesn't drink! 8)

Well, I know this.

But when I typed "Bring Ben a liter of his favorite protein drink", I knew the vultures would swoop in derail the thread so I changed it. :lol:

Throttleroller277
May 11th, 2009, 04:39 PM
Bring Ben a liter of his favorite protein drink"[/i], :lol:

Ol' Sexy Ben wants some "Brownie Batter"! 8)

marty
May 11th, 2009, 04:39 PM
as a general rule, if you are willing to drink directly from the side of the slop bucket, which the outside has not been cleaned in the 6 years i have been here, i will buy you a large shot of rumplemienz. mainly so we won't have to smell your breath. rest assured, there is always a little newcastle in the mix.

dave.gallant
May 11th, 2009, 04:42 PM
as a general rule, if you are willing to drink directly from the side of the slop bucket, which the outside has not been cleaned in the 6 years i have been here, i will buy you a large shot of rumplemienz. mainly so we won't have to smell your breath. rest assured, there is always a little newcastle in the mix.

When you go to work today, could you take a picture of said bucket?

(I do feel a proper thread jack in the making here...)

marty
May 11th, 2009, 05:17 PM
its still early, you should see this beauty after a friday or saturday. i have only had two people take me up on the offer. the first guy only took a mouthful. his friend one upped him by chugging from the bucket til he ran out of breath and had the entire nights worth of backwash running out of both sides of his mouth and down his shirt
http://img232.imageshack.us/img232/4504/bucket005c.th.jpg (http://img232.imageshack.us/my.php?image=bucket005c.jpg)

Jackel
May 11th, 2009, 07:07 PM
Lack of communication can do strange things. Better luck next time!

dave.gallant
May 11th, 2009, 09:31 PM
http://img232.imageshack.us/img232/4504/bucket005c.th.jpg (http://img232.imageshack.us/my.php?image=bucket005c.jpg)

Back off brownie -- I call dibs on that lemon or orange or whatever-it-is slice!

Throttleroller277
May 12th, 2009, 08:02 AM
its still early, you should see this beauty after a friday or saturday. i have only had two people take me up on the offer. the first guy only took a mouthful. his friend one upped him by chugging from the bucket til he ran out of breath and had the entire nights worth of backwash running out of both sides of his mouth and down his shirt

I was witness to both these occasions..... good times!!!

I wiped a special something on the rim for ya last night Dave....... 8)

Wild Cheetah 612
May 12th, 2009, 08:24 AM
FYI- Otis is a civilized wine drinker, now! He only drinks that beer stuff at the track. He's actually developing a bit of a palate.

Now, back to Ben and how we can help him and Dunlop guys

dave.gallant
May 12th, 2009, 09:00 AM

I was witness to both these occasions..... good times!!!

I wiped a special something on the rim for ya last night Dave....... 8)

Hey Marty --

How about another picture of the bucket today when you get into work?? I want to see what Brownie left to me after his bender last night...;)

Jim 'smooth' Brewer
May 12th, 2009, 10:18 AM
http://users.frii.com/jjb/emote/offtopic.gif http://users.frii.com/jjb/emote/threadjacked.gif

Now, back to Ben and how we can help him and Dunlop guys
Thanks Donna.. Sheesh .. :roll:

For the Dunlop riders who'd like to see Ben continue to help you out @ the track, here's a link to his contact info .. including a mailing address <hint><hint> .. http://www.foxperformanceengines.com/contact.html

Jon
May 12th, 2009, 04:13 PM
It sounds as if you guys are in negotiations with Terry and Dennis and are working out something that will see the normal competition amongst the various tire manufacturers continue which is good for the club and racing in general. Thanks for all your untiring efforts and glad to hear that we'll have a good selection of tires in which to mull through come Memorial day weekend. I am discussing with Jim Cox of Jim Cox racing longtime supplier to CCS/WERA WEST about coming up to the next round at HPR to supply additional info on the Dunlop brand and there usage and selection. Please feel free to contact him and if possible have it as part of the deal. I've offered for him to stay with me or put him up at a nearby accommodation.

Jon
May 12th, 2009, 04:33 PM
My apologies as I maybe off base here as from what I am actually hearing is that I maybe very wrong and it may take more than just coercing Ben back into the frey. I at this time would like to suggest pre-ordering for the memorial day event. I'm going to try and make sure that I at least have a way of swapping and balancing tires and I really do hope this whole thing gets straightened out through negotiations and the help of those who can pull some strings.

Jim 'smooth' Brewer
May 13th, 2009, 07:37 AM
Thanks for any influence you can exert, Jon. I sure hope we can work this out.

Compared to the AMA, I know the MRA is small potatoes. I hope the powers that be @ Dunlop understand that if they ignore & lose US club racers, they'll be in a tough negotiation position with the AMA next year.