PDA

View Full Version : Trailer Advice

cactusjack
May 10th, 2009, 07:34 PM
I have been looking at a 6x12 enclosed trailer (no V-nose) to carry three bikes, but after seeing people's set ups at HPR this weekend, it looks like that would be a tight squeeze. The bikes could probably fit, but they wouldn't leave much room for anything else (generator, compressor, tires, wheels, stands...you know the drill).

So at this point it's between 6x12 (and just dealing with the space issues) or 7x14. I don't think anything bigger than 7x14 is necessary, and it probably is not in the budget anyway, but if you think otherwise please let me know.

To those who have been through this, can you share any recommendations, tips, and pitfalls to watch out for?

Much appreciated.

DingleBerns
May 10th, 2009, 07:40 PM
I had a 6x12 with two bikes and all gear and race equip. Tight squeeze just for that. I would go bigger if you want three bikes and gear/race equip...

Dingle

Mark Schellinger
May 12th, 2009, 09:26 AM
We traveled the country in a 6.5 X 12. Most trips we had three road race bikes and two pit bikes, plus tool box generator canopy and many other things.

It was set up so two bikes faced forward and the bike in the center faced backward.

For many years we had a shelve built in so it was like a double decker inside, it worked awesome.

One time on a trip to Phoenix we had two road race bikes, two Honda Cubs, and two XR 100's plus tools etc...

I still own this trailer... it's a keeper

FYI- know matter how big the trailer is... you will always fill it full :)

Throttleroller277
May 12th, 2009, 10:59 AM
FYI- know matter how big the trailer is... you will always fill it full :)

True Dat!!! 8)

Jon
May 12th, 2009, 12:43 PM
I too can lend worlds of advice as to how to get ten pounds of Sh^t in a five gallon bucket. The second level's mandatory using E-track and shoring adaptors, which can be removed once you arrive.
Lots of stuff on the walls and plenty of organization. Where most fail is properly weighting of the loaded trailer and this is the cause of accidents. You don't want too much or too little tongue weight and always keep wheel bearing lubed and tires properly inflated as well rotated.
Now after all this, you sure you STILL want a trailer? LOL :)