PDA

View Full Version : RV Hookup Questions @ HPR

cactusjack
May 4th, 2009, 09:31 AM
I could blame the fact that it's Monday and I'm a little hung over, but the truth is I'm an idiot when it comes to electrical issues. Need some advice.

I reserved a 30 amp hookup for the upcoming race at HPR. I don't have an RV. I would like to plug into the 30 amp hookup and run normal household plugs out of it. Max current draw will be two sets of tire warmers, for a total of ~2000 watts, which comes out to roughly 16 amps at 120V.

Would an adapter like the one linked below do the trick? I imagine I would also need a heavy duty power strip to allow me to plug in two sets of tire warmers (i.e. four household plugs).

http://www.amazon.com/Grip-Right-Angle-Adapter-Female/dp/B0014C664M/ref=sr_1_25?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1241450606&sr=1-25

Thanks.

Jim 'smooth' Brewer
May 4th, 2009, 11:21 AM
That adapter is kinda overkill .. something like this works just fine .. .

http://hardware.hardwarestore.com/30-146-rv-electrical-/reverse-adapter-668438.aspx

These are available at just about any RV store.

Make sure to bring a long, heavy duty extension cord since it's quite a ways from the power poles to the pavement portion of the pits .. like about 30 feet or so.

cactusjack
May 4th, 2009, 11:30 AM
Sounds good. Thanks!

Jon
May 4th, 2009, 05:12 PM
Question, Is our insurance going to cover this fellow when he fries himself?

tcrump711
May 4th, 2009, 08:42 PM
Why didnt you just ask..... plenty of us have RV's you could have hooked up to.... save your money for more important things like brewskis....

cactusjack
May 4th, 2009, 11:27 PM
Why didnt you just ask..... plenty of us have RV's you could have hooked up to.... save your money for more important things like brewskis....

I just didn't want to be a pain in anyone's butt. This is just a temporary arrangement -- I'm in the process of getting an enclosed trailer on the cheap, once I have that I'll bring a beefy generator and everything will get sorted. For now though it's the back of the truck, so space is at a bit of a premium.

But thanks for the offer! And don't worry, skimping on brew is the last thing on my mind. I'll see ya out there -- where are you guys hooked up this weekend? We're at spot 11.

Jim 'smooth' Brewer
May 5th, 2009, 09:59 AM
Maybe you know this already, but check to make sure you have a big enough circuit in your RV to run 2 sets of warmers. Most RV circuits are 15amp and won't handle 2000 watts of tire warmers.