PDA

View Full Version : Dunlop tire sales now will be from Sport tire in california

benfoxmra95
April 29th, 2009, 03:32 PM
Anyone wanting dunlop tires will have to order them at least 4 days in advance to when they need them from Sport Tire services in California from Dennis Smith or Terry Newby.

I very unfortunately cannot be the dunlop tire rep for this area as it just doesn't make sense on paper for me. The profit margins are so tight that I am dangerously close to going into the red each weekend.

I very much would like to support everyone, and I really enjoyed helping people last weekend, and i feel this is going to be a very good season for dunlop in the club.

But If I'm going to be at the track and I'm within a $150 of making money or losing money, I might as well be racing... :wink: Im sure you can understand.

Please understand this as well, I was never trying to make a living off this or fill my wallet. I just wanted to be compensated fairly for my time and effort. And I certainly never thought I could go in debt over it, but it is a possibility.

Sitting on $10k of inventory(which isn't really that much at all)was very stressful. Basically if one front tire got damaged, or lost etc.. I would be in the hole. as this would ruin all my profit for that $10k worth of tires.

I tried very hard to negotiate a better scenario with dunlop but, it's just not in the cards, dunlop has put their efforts into the ama this season and it's severely hurting us at the club level.

This is too bad, because, i truly feel as though dunlop tires are the best tire after using them. There's been a pattern of failure for dunlop vendors here in colorado that goes back as long as the 11 years i've been a member of the mra and it's unfortunate.

At this time tracy jackel of jackel motorsports in the springs will be at the track with a tire machine to change tires for dunlop riders but he will not stock any dunlop product, i do not expect this to be a free service.

PremiumBlend
April 29th, 2009, 04:14 PM
I just read your post about not being able to support Dunlop here in CO!!?!?!?!? I love DUNLOP tires and this just sucks, I was really hoping to run them this year without having to worry about pre-planning. UGH, that sucks man!!!

froth
April 29th, 2009, 05:07 PM
Hey Sexy-

I feel sorry for Dunlop. I know how much time and effort ALL our tire vedors put in to support all of us at the club level, from flebes to folks that can actually ride (yes, I'm old, and in the former). If any of you were serious about turning a profit at it, a set of race rubber to would run, what, six fitty, seven and a quarter?
Look on the bright side, now we can bug you about putting a gnarly set of valves in, and extrude honing our heads! (still trying to get the $$$ together for that on the Great Pumpkin!).

Cheers-

Fred

dave.gallant
April 29th, 2009, 05:36 PM
On a side note, do you do motor work at all?

Let me just say, for the record, Ben Fox of Fox Performance Engines does absolutely no engine work of any kind.

(Especially not for AMA Superbike.)

benfoxmra95
April 29th, 2009, 09:03 PM
On a side note, do you do motor work at all?

Let me just say, for the record, Ben Fox of Fox Performance Engines does absolutely no engine work of any kind.

(Especially not for AMA Superbike.)

Hmmmm....

I focus on certain aspects of engine machining.

I do do Ducati engines occasionaly, and only under certain conditions. I'm doing two right now.

I don't do AMA engines (for factory teams) and have never claimed to..? I have done machine work for a factory team. But discussing the details of it would not be cool in an open forum.

Regardless, non of this is pertinent to the subject of the thread. I just wanted to let people know where to get Dunlop support.

dave.gallant
April 29th, 2009, 09:12 PM
I was being non-helpful, not insulting fwiw. :) :)

benfoxmra95
April 29th, 2009, 09:17 PM
ok...

i don't know...i can never tell, these damn computers show no emotion.

It's funny you can read something at one point during the day, and take it one way.

and then read it later in the day when your own mood has changed, it and reads completely different.

anyways....all is cool in the world at this moment...peace.

Jon
April 29th, 2009, 09:41 PM
WTF does fwiw mean? I thought I knew most all the terms of the computer geeks but they move so much faster than me. Also what does IWOL mean?

polar x
April 29th, 2009, 09:53 PM
fwiw= For What Its Worth
IWOL= ????

dave.gallant
April 30th, 2009, 12:43 AM
ok...

It's funny you can read something at one point during the day, and take it one way.

and then read it later in the day when your own mood has changed, it and reads completely different.

What I found most ironic about the question regarding if you do engine work is that you recently updated your signature specifically calling attention to your "...Performance Engines" website.

I just thought it was funny and obvious that you are an internal combustion engine guru, and by stating otherwise would be clear that I was just being a jackass. :D

Jim 'smooth' Brewer
April 30th, 2009, 01:05 PM
I'm quite disappointed that SportTire isn't stepping up to keep MRA trackside club racing services going. I've been riding Dunlops for a VERY long time and now I think many of us will be looking at other options.

Maybe the AMA deal is making Dunlop USA blow off club racers - certainly the meager contingency program would seem to point that way.

I'm going to fire off an email to Dennis Smith and Terry Newby to voice my concern at the apparent lack of support we're getting.

PremiumBlend
April 30th, 2009, 01:36 PM
ok...

What I found most ironic about the question regarding if you do engine work is that you recently updated your signature specifically calling attention to your "...Performance Engines" website.

I just thought it was funny and obvious that you are an internal combustion engine guru, and by stating otherwise would be clear that I was just being a jackass. :D

Well funny guy, when you go to his website it shows Ducati's everywhere and his main links are for crankshafts, valve jobs and a picture gallery... so maybe I thought he specialized in that and me bringing him a 600RR motor would be something he didn't "prefer" to do even though he is more than capable of doing it. I was asking him in regards to side work. But thank you for pointing out the obvious, my "huk'd on fonics" goes in and out. :)

PremiumBlend
April 30th, 2009, 01:38 PM
I'm quite disappointed that SportTire isn't stepping up to keep MRA trackside club racing services going. I've been riding Dunlops for a VERY long time and now I think many of us will be looking at other options.

Maybe the AMA deal is making Dunlop USA blow off club racers - certainly the meager contingency program would seem to point that way.

I'm going to fire off an email to Dennis Smith and Terry Newby to voice my concern at the apparent lack of support we're getting.

Please do b/c I have ALWAYS loved Dunlops. (Not saying I'm a tire expert, but they have always been good to me)

glenngsxr
April 30th, 2009, 01:48 PM
rethought

DOUBLE A
April 30th, 2009, 08:48 PM
ohh Please build me an AMA formula extreme engine ben! :lol:
J/K will you still spin rubber for select few?

Wild Cheetah 612
May 1st, 2009, 08:13 AM
Don't leave Dunlops if you love them. We need different tire guys to keep our club healthy. Otis has a lot of higher up contacts and is doing what he can to get support for Dunlop in our club!

benfoxmra95
May 1st, 2009, 08:51 AM
Guess this is a good excuse for everyone to come over to the dark side.....Michelin! Glenn #62

What's cool - people realizing the need for different choices and differing riding styles require different tools(i.e. tires)

What's not cool - coming in this thread and pimping another brand

Mark S. will tell you himself that he'd like to see dunlop suceed in this club as well as all the other brands, which in my opinion shows real class.

glenngsxr
May 1st, 2009, 09:22 AM
I won't disagree with you at all on that one. It is good to have all tire brands within the club. It is unfortunate as it forces some long time Dunlop riders to source elsewhere or switch brands. It seems like the tire wars are cyclical. Every few years a brand takes their turn at being top dog for awhile. Right now is just not Dunlop's time for club level racing. No offense Ben on the Michelin comment, just being a goofball. Glenn #62

froth
May 1st, 2009, 04:24 PM
Glenn, you are a goof!See ya at hpr.

May 2nd, 2009, 04:54 AM
which in my opinion shows real class.

The club sure could use more guys with class! :mrgreen:

DOUBLE A
May 2nd, 2009, 07:42 AM

Dammit where can I find this 'class' you speak of :lol:

PremiumBlend
May 2nd, 2009, 08:40 AM

Dammit where can I find this 'class' you speak of :lol:

It's a very expensive entry fee!!

Jackel
May 4th, 2009, 09:45 AM
Yes like Ben stated I will be at the track for at least this next weekend to change tires for the dunlop guys. If you dont know me my name is Treacy and we have been pitting next to Ben the last couple of events. White trailer w/ white Denali, Graphics all over the trailer. We will see how things go and hope everyone has a good weekend.

Jim 'smooth' Brewer
May 4th, 2009, 11:16 AM
Yes like Ben stated I will be at the track for at least this next weekend to change tires for the dunlop guys.
Thanks in advance. Some of us are in a bit of a pinch about this .. I appreciate your coming to HPR.