PDA

View Full Version : Motor is knocking... UH OHHHH!

PremiumBlend
April 28th, 2009, 07:09 PM
So I went out to the garage today, started up the bike for a bit and when I'd rev it the motor is knocking pretty good. It's time for a rebuild... anyone know of a good shop that will do just a regular freshening up on my motor for a good price?

DingleBerns
April 28th, 2009, 07:17 PM
Faster! Motosports down in denver did my freshin' up last year. Quality work and timely as well!

Dingle

PremiumBlend
April 28th, 2009, 07:20 PM
Will they do it for around $700??

DingleBerns
April 28th, 2009, 09:17 PM
give them a call in the morning, depends on the condition and what needs to be done to it....

PremiumBlend
April 28th, 2009, 09:44 PM
When you say you had your motor "freshened" up... what exactly did they do?

PremiumBlend
April 29th, 2009, 11:39 AM
give them a call in the morning, depends on the condition and what needs to be done to it....

I called them today... almost $2000 for a motor FRESHENING!!!! WOW I had my Chevelle motor bored, align honed, magna fluxed and completely redone for $2000. LOL I think I'll have to do this one myself.

hcr25
April 29th, 2009, 11:47 AM
building motors is a time consuming process. Call around and get some more quotes before you think $2K is expensive. My guess depending on what your "knock" in the motor is you could be into your motor for close to $700 in parts before labor.

PremiumBlend
April 29th, 2009, 11:54 AM
I'm going to drain the oil tonight and run a magnet through it and try to find any metal shavings. I'm crossing my fingers that I don't!!! I'll tear into it next week and see what I find...

dave.gallant
April 29th, 2009, 11:55 AM
Doing absolutely nothing to the crank, transmission, and head to a GSXR style motor is an easy $500 in parts; probably more. I have done like 6 now, and even getting parts at cost still doesn't make it "cheap".

Any problems with the crank, or if you want adjustable cam sprockets (and race timing), or you want 2nd gear swapped out because it gets chewed up -- and you are looking at probably $700-900 in parts alone.

If you really don't want to spend the $, just buy a used motor off Ebay or the like. It may make it a weekend, or it may make it many seasons. How much is your time worth finding out?

PremiumBlend
April 29th, 2009, 12:06 PM
I'm willing to find out, just not for $1800. :) Besides, I'd rather buy another motor and hopefully it doesn't blow on me. And then I'll take this motor in and have it completely worked for next season.

rforsythe
April 29th, 2009, 07:10 PM
My GSXR motor rebuild was over $600 in parts, and that wasn't really replacing much except the effed up head with a new-used one from ebay ($60). Crank polish, consumables, one-use stuff, rings, a few other minor things, and that cost was with a decent discount on OEM parts from one of my sponsors (Ron Ayers). If I'd had to pay for labor on top of that I would have been up around the $2K mark.

If you have the tools to do it right then the time you spend is worth it, but it doesn't sound like you're quite there. So it's $2K or an ebay motor. Sucks, but that's how it unfortunately goes.

If you're mechanically inclined, you could buy the parts and spend the rest getting good tools and do it yourself as well.

PremiumBlend
April 29th, 2009, 10:24 PM
I've probably built 10 motors for cars ranging from full builds to just top end rebuilds. I have plenty of tools and "GENERAL" know how, I also have a Clymer for my bike so I know how to follow directions from a book pretty well. I guess I'm just miffed because $1800 for me to bring the motor into them completely disassembled and all I need for them to do is just put it back together shouldn't be more than $1000. I'm sure those guys could put together a motor with their eyes shut and 3 cases of beer into it in less than 2 hours without EVER putting down a beer.

If I'm going to spend the money, why would I spend $1800 on a "freshening" when I can spend $2800 through them and get the motor pretty yoked out??