PDA

View Full Version : Is it too early to talk about racing in 2010?

Desmodromico
April 15th, 2009, 01:40 PM
I was out of bikes for a few years while my kids were born and have gotten back in in the past year with both feet. I plan to do as many track days this summer as time and budget will allow, and hope to get up to a decent pace by the end of the year on my SV650 track bike. My goal is to make progress this year and race next, and I want to make sure I am investing in the right things needed for that.

Other than the already mentioned time and money I have been trying to figure out what it would take for me to race next season and would appreciate any additions or suggestions from the list below. Thanks to all in advance!

Bike- 749, ready to go

Tools/equipment- Have basics covered with sockets, wrenches, etc. Plan to pick up tire warmers this year sometime, and have stands already. Any non-common tools anyone recommends? Does anyone change their own tires?

Track Stuff- Have a small EZ-up and a pickup, is a trailer a good investment starting out or is it better to rough it for a while and put the money in the bike? How about a generator, I assume it is cheaper than renting power over the course of a season, buy a larger one or just get something to run warmers? Besides a good supply of water and food what else is needed to survive?

T Baggins
April 16th, 2009, 09:09 AM
sounds like you have pretty much everything you need except a race license.

If it's just you, a small generator will suffice.

Tent camping with a truck is the cheep way to go, and many people do it.

Trailers are nice for the added security, and you "can" sleep in them if need be.

Hotels get expensive.

Why wait till next year? Sounds like you're ready to race NOW!

Desmodromico
April 16th, 2009, 09:14 AM
All I am missing is some speed, where can I buy that? :lol:

I am doing Pueblo this weekend, second time down there so I hope to be a good bit faster this time. I have someone to time my laps so I can see where I fit in class-wise, hopefully I am not running 2:15's or something, I have no idea....

dragos13
April 16th, 2009, 09:17 AM

Pueblo Race #1 :twisted:

See you on Sunday!

T Baggins
April 16th, 2009, 09:19 AM

Pueblo Race #1 :twisted:

See you on Sunday!

Endurance race at Pueblo - $50 for 30 minutes of REAL race traction action!

phildrummond
April 17th, 2009, 11:26 AM
Plus morning and afternoon practice time! Work corners Sunday for $50 and your entry fee = $0.

Desmodromico
April 19th, 2009, 08:48 PM
Did my second track day at PMP and ran intermediate and it was a crash-fest all day so I could never get a rhythm going, but the last two sessions a lot of guys bugged out and I started turning better laps. The 5:00 session for just intermediate was perfect, only a few guys and no crashers.

I was able to run consistent 1:54's and ran a few 1:52's out of the eight laps I did in that session. My SV is dog slow on the straight but it does well on the rest of the track, what type of times do you think are necessary to get into the lower MRA classes successfully? Just trying to see how much work I have left to do.

phildrummond
April 19th, 2009, 11:19 PM
Bummer- I was going to send you to the link with all the 2008 results and lap times but they were just taken down.

Not sure what you mean about the lower classes but at 1:52, I think you'll still qualify for Sportsman. It's a beginner class with a small field. Great for practice and times around 1:52 will usually be close to winning it. I run around 1:50 at Pueblo on an old GSXR and I do endurance. You get used to being blown past by the leaders a few times and it's the best practice.

Desmodromico
April 20th, 2009, 08:44 AM
Thanks for the info on times, by lower classes I meant the Colorado or Sportsman class, I know I need to get quite a bit faster to avoid being a speed bump in the others but it would be fun to run endurance too. I am going to try to do HPR for the first time in May, hope to get all the tracks under my belt this summer for practice.

Desmodromico
May 5th, 2009, 11:15 AM
Peer pressure got me again....I signed up for the Vanmar school next Monday and I am hoping get into some races this year, the bug has bitten.

So now for the next round of stupid questions-

1. Do I need to have warmers or is this optional for someone starting out with just some endurance and Sportsman classes? (I already know it would be wise to have some but I have limited funds right now and need to dime up for a steering damper as well to race.)

2. How much and where would I go to have someone do the safety wiring for me? I know it is easy but having never done it I don't want to have issues with passing Tech right out of the gate.

3. Anyone want to adopt a noob for their team this summer? I can bring beef jerky, water, and have a strong back for carrying supplies and my bike can be plastered with whatever paraphernalia is needed... :D

Scored51
May 5th, 2009, 12:45 PM
Peer pressure got me again....I signed up for the Vanmar school next Monday and I am hoping get into some races this year, the bug has bitten.

After your school, that bit will swell to unreal proportions! Don't panic though, there isn't a cure and thankfully no one is doing any research.

What part of town are you in so that someone might be able to know whether they can help?

Desmodromico
May 5th, 2009, 12:52 PM
I am in Castle Rock, probably not close to a lot of people but right on the way to PMP and PPIR!