PDA

View Full Version : Number scheme...Two riders...One Bike?

vroomnut
April 15th, 2009, 07:47 AM
Lauri and I will be sharing a bike for 2009. She will be competing in the novice classes....and I on the expert level. What is allowable for a number scheme?

Thanks...
Alan

Jon
April 15th, 2009, 08:06 AM
Interesting question one that I can't answer though. maybe the board can come up with some reiteration of this otherwise you'll be changing numbers more than likely.
I remember when I started with this club. Novices on lightweight/middleweight bikes had Yellow with red numbers. Experts on big bikes had White with Red numbers, how many of our current racers remember that? I believe the club was the Mountain Roadracing Association. Am I dating myself?

Ray-Ray
April 15th, 2009, 08:17 AM
Lauri and I will be sharing a bike for 2009. She will be competing in the novice classes....and I on the expert level. What is allowable for a number scheme?

Thanks...
Alan

Sorry Alan, I completely forgot to respond to you on this.

You will have to come up with a way where you both run your own numbers and Yellow/white plates. You won't be able to share your bike with just one of your numbers on it. The only time we allow this is when a non planned use of someones bike is used. example: when someone crashes or breaks their bike and uses another persons bike in a race.

Scored51
April 15th, 2009, 11:34 AM
There have been other husband/wife teams using the same bike during the race weekend. The Palmers in particular used to have covers for the front fairing and seat to switch the numbers. Of course you could do what I believe Ricky O. and Marv Rosencrans do... switch out the upper fairing and seat section with a second set.

vroomnut
April 16th, 2009, 07:49 AM
I have a second set of bodywork...the problem is that they are two separate brands so the fit & mounting are different. Kind of a pain in the a$$ to deal with. I am going to try and fabricate some covers...but if I can not get that to work I was looking for an alternative involving the number scheme (which might be easier if allowed). Here is what I was thinking: Running both our numbers on the front (one on the left...one on the right)...and just covering the number that is not valid for that race with tape. As for the tail section...that is a bit harder to do with it being so minimal. For that I was thinking of running one set of numbers on the tail...and then running the second set of numbers on side of the upper and lower...again covering which ever number is not in use. Would this be allowed?

I am just looking for an "easy" way for us to jump back and forth...otherwise one of us probably won't be racing.

Wild Cheetah 612
April 16th, 2009, 07:58 AM
Velcro is a wonderful thing!

terid
April 16th, 2009, 09:13 AM
we do it similarly, though we intentionally picked numbers close to each other for just this reason (can't afford another bike) 801, 811

we use yellow or white duct tape for the plate color around the number, and doctor the number from 0 -> 1 -> 0 with black electrical tape.

changes easily between races and keeps 3M in business :?

Harder to envision if the numbers are vastly different, but can be done -

I like the velcro idea

ctb
April 21st, 2009, 04:12 PM
Thanks all...I think I have an idea, especially since I DO DESIGN AND MAKE NUMBER PLATES...hmm...I could just make extra.
Anyone got any novice yellow roll of vinyl laying around?

Babe - you should have known I would come up with something BRILLIANT :wink:

Moto-Mania
April 21st, 2009, 09:04 PM
Velcro is a wonderful thing!

I've been told that strippers would be out of business without it.
Maybe that's how Donna is so knowledgeable...as a connoisseur of male entertainment I mean.