PDA

View Full Version : HPR Track days and MRA school

TheShark
March 20th, 2009, 08:11 PM
Hey all,

I've got a couple of questions I'm hoping somebody can help me out with. I'm interested in doing some track days at HPR this summer. I have no previous racing or track experience though. I'm thinking it might be worth taking the MRA class on 4/11 or 4/12, but don't really know anything about it. Does it assume any prior experience on the track? Is it OK for me to sign up if I don't really plan on racing?

If I do sign up, my other question is about bike prep. For the class, would I just need to meet the HPR lapping rules? Which, as I understand it are pretty much a bike in good shape with no mirrors, and no glycol in the coolant. Does the MRA class have additional requirements? (no lights, safety wiring, etc.)?

Thanks in advance!

The GECCO
March 20th, 2009, 11:03 PM
Heya,

lots of people take the school who have no intentions of racing (well, in the morning they don't...sometimes that changes by the end of the day!) and the school serves as an excellent "tune up" for anyone, especially if you're just dusting off your bike after a winter of caging it.

All the rest of the info you should need can be found on the NEW RACER INFO (http://www.mra-racing.org/index.cfm?action=new_racer) page on the MRA site.

See you there!

TheShark
March 21st, 2009, 12:01 PM
Heya,

All the rest of the info you should need can be found on the NEW RACER INFO (http://www.mra-racing.org/index.cfm?action=new_racer) page on the MRA site.

See you there!

I'm still curious what level of tech inspection my bike would need to meet. The requirements in the MRA rulebook are probably stiffer than I would want to bother with on my street bike. No side/center stands and a required steering damper for example is stuff I probably wouldn't mess with otherwise.

marty
March 21st, 2009, 03:55 PM
you will want to dump your coolant also. just use strait water or water with some water wetter. no engine ice though

Jon
March 21st, 2009, 05:01 PM
As many of the visitors who will ride ,at HPR during the course of it's life won't be racers, I would suggest those of us do try and best we can police the no glycol rule. To any folks who intend on riding there understand that Glyco'sl slicker than owlshit and not very easily cleaned up. As rememebed from the Second Creek days, a few folks always slip through the cracks but please let's all try and be mindful of what we're all there for.

marty
March 21st, 2009, 06:05 PM
Glyco'sl slicker than owlshit
:lol: :lol: :lol:
being from the south i've heard good euphemisms, but that one i'm gonna have to use.

polar x
March 21st, 2009, 07:48 PM
Glyco'sl slicker than owlshit
:lol: :lol: :lol:
being from the south i've heard good euphemisms, but that one i'm gonna have to use.

You can't be from the south and NOT have heard that one. :? Then my personal favorite. Mad-er n-a bobcat n-a brier patch. (with the draw for vocal effect)

You a sweet tea drinker?

TheShark
March 21st, 2009, 08:23 PM
you will want to dump your coolant also. just use strait water or water with some water wetter. no engine ice though

Yeah, that one I'm OK with. It's a little hassle, but I understand why it needs to be done. As metioned, glycol will make a huge mess. And the coolant plumbing is pretty vulnerable to damage as well.

Do you guys ever worry about damage from frozen water in the plumbing? I hate if I forgot to drain the water out after a track day and had a cold front come through and crack the block or something crazy.

marty
March 21st, 2009, 11:30 PM

Yeah, that one I'm OK with. It's a little hassle, but I understand why it needs to be done. As metioned, glycol will make a huge mess. And the coolant plumbing is pretty vulnerable to damage as well.

Do you guys ever worry about damage from frozen water in the plumbing? I hate if I forgot to drain the water out after a track day and had a cold front come through and crack the block or something crazy.
i just always make a habit of draining, but during the summer months it doesn't usually get that cold

marty
March 21st, 2009, 11:35 PM
You can't be from the south and NOT have heard that one. :? Then my personal favorite. Mad-er n-a bobcat n-a brier patch. (with the draw for vocal effect)

You a sweet tea drinker?
guess i'm from the appalachian south not the western south. i think the funniest part is that at some point someone acutually fell down from slipping in an excessive amount of owl shit.

and hells yes, i love sweet tea if you can find it. otherwise its just ditch water

polar x
March 22nd, 2009, 08:01 AM
You a sweet tea drinker?
and hells yes, i love sweet tea if you can find it. otherwise its just ditch water
That's the gospel truth right thar.

And yes there is a difference between Oklahoma southern and Appalachie southern. But sweet tea is the bridge between us....LOL 8) 8)

sheispoison
March 22nd, 2009, 10:07 AM
But sweet tea is the bridge between us....LOL

And that bridge runs all the way to the coast of Virginia!!!

T Baggins
March 23rd, 2009, 12:20 PM
But sweet tea is the bridge between us....LOL

And that bridge runs all the way to the coast of Virginia!!!

Sweet tea, and a family tree that doesn't branch... 'effin inbreds. :lol:

kfm61
March 23rd, 2009, 12:41 PM
That's alright Tony, we'll git ta fixin' ya a Mint Julep, all the women folk luv 'em!

Fer ma'self, I like ma tea made with half tea, half burbon, and a few ice cubes!

phildrummond
March 23rd, 2009, 01:48 PM
I hear banjo music.

T Baggins
March 23rd, 2009, 02:41 PM
I see purty mouths... :shock:

TheShark
March 24th, 2009, 03:32 PM
Ooookay, I'm going to try and steer this back on topic before the squealing starts. :shock:

I've read through the new rider packet, and flipped through the rulebook. I don't think either one clarifies what kind of bike prep I need for the class though. Is it safe to assume if I don't have glycol and tape and/or remove the mirrors and lights I'd probably be good enough for the class?

phildrummond
March 24th, 2009, 04:41 PM
I'll let the veteran racers confirm tech needs, but as I understand it, tape all lights (best to disconnect bulbs). Remove mirrors but I think tape is OK. Tape or remove license plate. Drain anti-freeze and replace with water. Water Wetter additive OK. Kickstand on is OK. Tire tread depth must be acceptable as well as brake lining thickness. Bike in good shape, nothing leaking, including fork seals. Lube your chain. Have all the riding gear - leathers (2-piece must zip all the way around), gloves, boots covering ankle, back protector (not just the CE armor in leathers) and maybe a helmet.

Paste this link in. A clinic this weekend to answer all your questions and meet some members...

http://forums.mra-racing.org/viewtopic.php?t=7981

Again- don't take what I'm saying as official. Check out the clinic or email Joe on the post. Very helpful guy.

T Baggins
March 24th, 2009, 04:59 PM
definitely remove mirrors. tape is not ok on them.

right on with everything else - and you'll want to unplug the headlights or the tape will melt onto the glass and will make a mess...