PDA

View Full Version : Race Season: Health Care Decisions

Jim 'smooth' Brewer
February 21st, 2009, 07:38 PM
Hi everyone,

I wanted to make sure everyone saw the posting that Tedi Jensen & Alex Kuretz put together on getwellclarkie.com. I can't add anymore than they have put there, so check it out ... it's important ..

http://www.getwellclarkie.com/2009/02/21/race-season-health-care-decisions/

Wild Cheetah 612
February 23rd, 2009, 08:36 AM
Here! Here!
I was extremely fortunate my sister was able to make decisions for me when I had my necrotizing fasciitis in 2004. I no longer take the chance and have my Durable Medical Power of Attorney and Will. Otherwise, you never know who'll be making decisions for you when you can't.

rforsythe
February 23rd, 2009, 05:21 PM
Kind of along these lines... Look I know this stuff is fun and all, but every season I see people race without health insurance. There is nothing mandating that you have it (and the MRA couldn't enforce it even if there was), but something that just seems like common sense is overlooked by more than a few who like to buck the odds. Believe me, I've seen the bills from even a minor crash, and the cost of a monthly plan pales in comparison.

Even if you are self-employed or whatever, these plans are not hard to get and are actually fairly affordable. Along the lines of having trusted people in charge of your care, goes not saddling yourself and them with medical bills.

I'm amazed in this day people even give racing without health coverage a second thought, but please consider the impact before you try it.

Edit: Clarkie also wanted me to point out that even though you may have coverage, you need to check the policy details as many consider racing to be an "extreme" activity, and won't cover you regardless. Good advice!

T Baggins
February 24th, 2009, 09:03 AM
Also, if you still have ANY money while you're racing - you should have your financial accounts set up either as JTWROS (joint tenants with rights of survivorship) or POD (payable on death) so that your spouse, significant other, or whomever has IMMEDIATE access to your money in the event that something terrible happens (regardless of how or why). Without that, your money gets tied up in probate or whatever... and if your family relies on that money, the account is essentially "locked" which would be a problem.

Also, while we're on the subject - I am working to get licensed to offer Life Insurance thru a company THAT WILL INSURE RACERS! I currently have a 20 year, $400K policy that does NOT exclude roadracing. It's only about $75 per month (it would be less, but I'm old...) and what a great benefit to my family if I should pass on. Truth of the matter, most of us aren't going to be seriously injured or killed racing motorcycles. We'll die from some other dumb thing... but it's nice to know that the life insurance WOULD cover you if it happened at the track.

Knowing my luck, I'm gonna live forever though - and be old, crippled and cranky. Oh wait, I already am! :lol:

Scored51
February 24th, 2009, 01:04 PM
Edit: Clarkie also wanted me to point out that even though you may have coverage, you need to check the policy details as many consider racing to be an "extreme" activity, and won't cover you regardless. Good advice!

This includes AFLAC policies! The information I received was roughly worded, "injuries sustained while participating in sanctioned motorsports events are not covered." The explanation I was given justified it because sanctioning bodies had their own insurance. If you are counting on this to help you through a racing accident, check the fine print of your policy to be on the safe side. Also, please let everyone know whether I found an isolated case, or if it is in fact across the board.