PDA

View Full Version : Novice Number Plates

racedk6
February 17th, 2009, 09:12 PM
So can Novices run a single plate on the rear of their bikes?

I did last year at my first race and never had any problems.

Also can you use a custom font style on the numbers as long as they are black?

dragos13
February 18th, 2009, 07:51 AM
I dont think anyone will stop you from racing with a single number plate on the back. The only problem is if your transponder fails and you must be recorded manually. If they can't read your numbers, you might get screwed on your finish. Same thing goes with font. It just needs to be readable from, I think, 30 yards. I'll check the rulebook.

Scored51
February 21st, 2009, 03:53 PM
Regardless of the technical rule (8 inches tall and 1 inch wide for each digit), final approval rests with the Tech Inspector and/or Chief Score Keeper. I can say that many racers are in violation of the letter of the law, but it's really a subjective thing as manual score keeping is a skill that requires practice. So many environmental factors affect the ability to read a number plate as well. Additionally, each track we ride at presents unique challenges in themselves.

Therefore I would suggest making it as legible as possible, and be willing to change it if asked to do so. The AMA has some hard and fast rules about number displays and it would suck if the MRA needed to adopt them because of legibility issues.