PDA

View Full Version : I need two or more volunteers for this Sunday

The GECCO
February 12th, 2009, 09:20 AM
I have a few special projects to do out at HPR and I want to try to get it one of them done this Sunday.

Here's what we'll be doing....as you know, there are a few hundred concrete blocks out there. Where they join together there are interlocking loops. We need to drop/pound a piece of rebar through these loops at each joint to hold the joint together and maintain the integrity of the wall if someone hits it. You'll need good walking shoes, gloves and a hammer, preferably an 8 pound sledge or something similar. You'll also need a vehicle to haul the bundles of rebar sticks around the track.

I plan on starting around 11:00 am. Please reply here if you'd like to help.

Thanks!!

phildrummond
February 12th, 2009, 04:13 PM
I'll be there Sunday. I don't have an sledge hammer (no small hammer jokes, please). Maybe we'll have an extra? If I'm there early, I'll help the tire crew. See you there...with my small hammer.

charliec
February 12th, 2009, 04:20 PM
I can cut loose to help Sunday. I'll bring a sledge, etc. See you Sunday.

gpsigs
February 13th, 2009, 07:42 PM
Hey Glenn,

you mentioned keeping the integrity of these walls in case someone hits them? just wondering why there walls in places that we'd hit them, let alone making sure they are solid :( what are your thoughts?

The GECCO
February 14th, 2009, 10:23 AM
My thoughts are that this is the safest track this state has ever seen, and that everything is a compromise. If you haven't been to the track yet, you need to go see it for yourself. This Sunday would be a perfect opportunity, we need lots of help bolting tires.

The walls are far, far away from the track. The reason they need to be solid is that they are designed to keep errant vehicles from either leaving the property or crossing another part of the racetrack. Also remember that the majority of the users of the facility are cars that have a lot more kinetic energy than a bike and rider do at the same speed, the walls are designed mostly with them in mind. I never say never, but I can't imagine a bike, or more importantly, a rider, ever making it to any of these walls.

gpsigs
February 15th, 2009, 02:08 PM
cool thanks for the thoughts glenn, that helps.