PDA

View Full Version : PMP open for track days?

ctb
February 4th, 2009, 09:40 AM
Hello - does anyone know if Pueblo is open currently? Without Ene's updates, I haven't seen anything. The website only shows scheduled events starting in March. Thanks

Ninja Nate
February 4th, 2009, 09:48 AM
I am wondering the same. It would be really nice to get a couple days in on the new bike before the New Racers School.

Mforza
February 4th, 2009, 11:42 AM
They were saying that they should be open this month, but when exactly I do not know. Just try to call there and they will tell you. :)

Mforza
February 4th, 2009, 11:45 AM
I would love to go for track day :D Winter makes me lazy :D :D

Jon
February 4th, 2009, 07:24 PM
As in many parts of the country for some reason or another Pueblo has apparently chosen to not offer them until later this month or next but I know of one this very weekend. Problem is you have top drive to get there. As Colorado riders we are spoiled by our $50-$75 dollar track days all within an hour or two away so I'm not going to even tempt you with a $105 all day ten hours away.

Ninja Nate
February 4th, 2009, 10:36 PM
$105 isn't bad at all. 10 hours though??? Where she be?

rybo
February 5th, 2009, 09:49 PM
I spoke with the track managers at Pueblo and they aren't going to offer open test and tune this year as they have in years past.

I've put some dates on a schedule with them and will be offering a trackday on March 22nd. The registration page will be up on my site soon. If there is enough demand I could talk to them about a day before then, but weather is always an issue this time of year.

I don't want this thread to become an ad, but keep an eye on the "supporting vendors" page for more info soon.

Scott

GNGSXR
February 5th, 2009, 10:50 PM
I spoke with the track managers at Pueblo and they aren't going to offer open test and tune this year as they have in years past.

No open track days this year? What are there plans for the track?

gripped
February 5th, 2009, 11:38 PM
No open track days this year :shock: Wow does that blow
Guess I'll be dropping the 200 a day for chicane :roll:

JimWilson29
February 6th, 2009, 07:49 AM
No open track days this year :shock: Wow does that blow
Guess I'll be dropping the 200 a day for chicane :roll:

While it is unfortunate that the new management at Pueblo Motorsports Park will not be doing open track days any longer, there is no reason to roll your eyes at Scott Rybarik and Chicane Track Days for what he charges for his events. He has to rent the facilities, pay for liability insurance, pay for corner workers and pay for paramedics. Last October it became very apparent why it is so important to have paramedics on site. Scott is taking a huge financial risk every time he puts on an event. As Jon pointed out above and in previous posts, we have been spoiled for a very long with the very inexpensive trackdays here. Anywhere else in the country you will be paying 2-4 times what we were accustomed to paying. Pueblo charged $75 for the their full day test and tunes previously. Scott will not be charging $200 for track days there but you can expect it to be higher than what PMP charged because of the reasons previously stated. Everyone should be grateful that he started Chicane in order to provide track time to both racers and street riders here in Colorado. We should also be thankful that we now have 3 tracks here in this state that we have the opportunity to ride.
Sorry for the venting, but I have seen how much time and effort Scott has put into Chicane and I know he was in the red last year. This is America and we still have a free enterprise system so if you want to complain about what he charged for a track day, then I suggest you go rent the track yourself.

duggram
February 6th, 2009, 07:49 AM
...but I know of one this very weekend. Problem is you have top drive to get there. As Colorado riders we are spoiled by our $50-$75 dollar track days all within an hour or two away so I'm not going to even tempt you with a $105 all day ten hours away.

Would you be talking about Arroyo Seco (ASR) near Deming, NM? The fee is $130 for the 2 day weekend if paid 7 days in advance. There's also a break for first riders at the track. There's at least one trackday weekend every month of the year. At the last trackday, January, it was t-shirt weather.

Even though it's about 4 hours away I consider it my home track. It's a very safe track, no walls or buildings to hit. Just desert. Two years ago when Doug Chandler wanted to teach his son how to road race he would drive from Salinas, CA for every trackday because it is a safe place to ride.

Roger offers full track side support and has common parts for many bikes, and he is also a dealer for many aftermarket parts, as well as tires.

Here's a link (http://www.asmaracing.com/index.html) to the information. If you're interested send Roger an email. I'm sure he will answer all your questions.

Sorry if I sound like an ad. It's great place. BTW I look forward to trying your HPR this year when I'm not riding ASR.

Doug

dragos13
February 6th, 2009, 08:01 AM
While it is unfortunate that the new management at Pueblo Motorsports Park will not be doing open open tracks any longer, there is no reason to roll your eyes at Scott Rybarik and Chicane Track Days for what he charges for his events. He has to rent the facilities, pay for liability insurance, pay for corner workers and pay for paramedics. Last October it became very apparent why it is so important to have paramedics on site. Scott is taking a huge financial risk every time he puts on an event. As Jon pointed out above and in previous posts, we have been spoiled for a very long with the very inexpensive trackdays here. Anywhere else in the country you will be paying 2-4 times what we were accustomed to paying. Pueblo charged $75 for the their full day test and tunes previously. Scott will not be charging $200 for track days there but you can expect it to be higher than what PMP charged because of the reasons previously stated. Everyone should be grateful that he started Chicane in order to provide track time to both racers and street riders here in Colorado. We should also be thankful that we now have 3 tracks here in this state that we have the opportunity to ride.
Sorry for the venting, but I have seen how much time and effort Scott has put into Chicane and I know he was in the red last year. This is America and we still have a free enterprise system so if you want to complain about what he charged for a track day, then I suggest you go rent the track yourself.

+1 Well put Jim

jplracing
February 6th, 2009, 08:25 AM
While it is unfortunate that the new management at Pueblo Motorsports Park will not be doing open open tracks any longer, there is no reason to roll your eyes at Scott Rybarik and Chicane Track Days for what he charges for his events. He has to rent the facilities, pay for liability insurance, pay for corner workers and pay for paramedics. Last October it became very apparent why it is so important to have paramedics on site. Scott is taking a huge financial risk every time he puts on an event. As Jon pointed out above and in previous posts, we have been spoiled for a very long with the very inexpensive trackdays here. Anywhere else in the country you will be paying 2-4 times what we were accustomed to paying. Pueblo charged $75 for the their full day test and tunes previously. Scott will not be charging $200 for track days there but you can expect it to be higher than what PMP charged because of the reasons previously stated. Everyone should be grateful that he started Chicane in order to provide track time to both racers and street riders here in Colorado. We should also be thankful that we now have 3 tracks here in this state that we have the opportunity to ride.

+1 Well put Jim

+2

phildrummond
February 6th, 2009, 10:32 AM
+ 3.

I was pit monkey for Kate at a Chicane Day. Very well organized and very worth it. Consider how confident you are when you're on a track with an ambulance, workers, radios, bikes that have been thru tech, etc. So much safer.

To reiterate the obvious, track days elsewhere are not cheap. Last one I paid for was at Barber for $225 in '04. A nice track, but add $100 for fuel to drive from Atlanta, $50 to split the hotel and $225 for the track...I got four 20-min sessions. Do the math and I paid $4.69 per minute.

Scott- I'm in for pro bono corner work at the next Chicane day. Thanks for getting Chicane rolling.

rybo
February 6th, 2009, 10:45 AM
Thanks for all the support everyone.

Again, I'll be posting all future info in the supporting vendors area so that I'm not abusing the forum.

Be well!

Scott

mbohn
February 6th, 2009, 11:45 AM
We will all be better off without the $75 open days at PMP. We were spoiled but with essentially no rule enforcement, and none of the other support that Chicane will provide, it was just a matter of time before there was a major tragedy at PMP during an open day.

Go Scott!

oldtimer
February 6th, 2009, 01:30 PM
I've put some dates on a schedule with them and will be offering a trackday on March 22nd. The registration page will be up on my site soon. If there is enough demand I could talk to them about a day before then, but weather is always an issue this time of year.

Scott, Aaron and I would love the opportunity to get to ride twice at Pueblo in March, and I'm betting a lot of other people would too. Please consider a second track day, we'll attend both. Fingers crossed that global warming brings a nice heat wave. :)

Wyeth

racedk6
February 7th, 2009, 12:11 AM

I don't want this thread to become an ad, but keep an eye on the "supporting vendors" page for more info soon.

Scott

Shit you know me Scott if its on a Sunday I will be there..... and calling you a couple days before telling you to hold my spot!!!!

I got a new ride to dial in before the season starts

..Grubbs..

Jon
February 8th, 2009, 01:20 AM
Yes that indeed is Deming NM a very safe facility. Thanks to Roger and crew for welcoming us CO riders, we had a blast! $80 for the day with a BBQ afterwards though we had headed home by then.

Jon
February 8th, 2009, 10:55 AM
+1 for Scott having the foresight to see the inevitable and to start his business. Unmanned and unsupervised trackdays are bad news as we all learned from what happen to Gene and Aaron at Lajunta. It put the track, the sport and the riders at great risk. We have come of age here in CO and I applaud those who can understand. Yes, the days of $50-$75 trackdays are gone (Hey, I got stuck holding a $75 trackday voucher that I won a a silent auction) but you can rest assured and go a bit harder knowing there's people to pick you up and look after you should something happen. Thanks Scott for filling the void and I'll see you all in 09' at a Chicane trackday

Moto-Mania
February 8th, 2009, 04:12 PM
We always talked about how cool it was when there were only 6 or 7 bikes on some track days at PMP. But the flip side to that was, if you did crash, you might be there for a while before anyone even noticed.

GNGSXR
February 8th, 2009, 06:27 PM
We always talked about how cool it was when there were only 6 or 7 bikes on some track days at PMP. But the flip side to that was, if you did crash, you might be there for a while before anyone even noticed.

ive been there when i was the only bike running and had to dodge (and get passed) by some open wheel cars. :oops:

The GECCO
February 8th, 2009, 07:53 PM

ive been there when i was the only bike running and had to dodge (and get passed) by some open wheel cars. :oops:

Yeah, it's amazing how fast some of those little open wheels get around there. SCCA stud Bill Kephart showed me some of the telemetry from his Formula V at Pueblo (little open wheel car, looks like a smaller, older version of an Indy car with no wings and a small 4 cylinder engine). He was running lap times around 1:31 - 1:32, so he'd be near the front of most MRA races. What's weird is that while (according to our radar gun) the MRA 600's get into the 140's on the straight and I clocked Hendry at 166 mph, Bill's top speed is about 121...the difference? He NEVER touches the brakes going into turn 1. Hell, he barely pulls back from full throttle. According to the telemetry, he uses the brakes going into turn 9, then doesn't touch them again until turn 4! He barely touches them going into turn 5, uses them hard at turn 7, then again at turn 9.

Can you say "corner speed"?? :shock: