PDA

View Full Version : rear res?

cromer611
February 2nd, 2009, 05:07 PM
just curious, is it required to have a Rear brake res?

Ray-Ray
February 2nd, 2009, 06:49 PM
just curious, is it required to have a Rear brake res?

So, where do you plan on putting the brake fluid?

cromer611
February 2nd, 2009, 07:26 PM
example: the 4inch hose that goes to the brake res, empty out 1inch of fluid so its 3inchs of fluid and 1inch air, then block off the hose with a plug.

so realistically the hose acts like the res would.

im just tryin to work around making some bracket that relocates it.

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j12/codman123/HPIM6594.jpg

Ray-Ray
February 2nd, 2009, 08:21 PM
example: the 4inch hose that goes to the brake res, empty out 1inch of fluid so its 3inchs of fluid and 1inch air, then block off the hose with a plug.

so realistically the hose acts like the res would.

im just tryin to work around making some bracket that relocates it.

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j12/codman123/HPIM6594.jpg

I've got to be able to see the level of fluid in the tube.

FWIW - I don't like how you have your tube bent over. I would think it can get air in the line the way you have it setup.

cromer611
February 3rd, 2009, 12:45 AM
the line goes into the master at the lowest point, so the bike would have to be completely upside down.

but if i replace the line with a clear one would dat be ok?

racedk6
February 3rd, 2009, 01:35 AM
If it is allowed for you to do this make sure you get brake fluid specific hosing. All the other stuff will sweat the fluid out.

Jim 'smooth' Brewer
February 4th, 2009, 07:31 AM
Here's what I used a few years ago on my TLR. The rear brake was 100% as functional -- for as much as I needed it. I think this would be ok, right Ray?

http://users.frii.com/jjb/TLR_board/rearsets2.jpg

Ray-Ray
February 4th, 2009, 07:38 AM
Here's what I used a few years ago on my TLR. The rear brake was 100% as functional -- for as much as I needed it. I think this would be ok, right Ray?

http://users.frii.com/jjb/TLR_board/rearsets2.jpg

That is perfect! That's what I want to see!! Clear tube AND no bends in it.

hcr25
February 4th, 2009, 08:24 AM
Fail! no safety wire on the exhaust spring. :lol:

cromer611
February 4th, 2009, 10:27 AM
or oil fill cap : )

Scored51
February 4th, 2009, 08:01 PM
The "rule of thumb" I learned was 4 inches of hose with 3 inches of fluid visible.

Jon
February 4th, 2009, 08:10 PM
That to me looks more like an eight inch hose to me?

marty
February 9th, 2009, 12:38 AM
where can i get some of the clear hose that size that is brake fluid safe?

Jim 'smooth' Brewer
February 9th, 2009, 01:05 PM
That to me looks more like an eight inch hose to me?
You flatterer, you..

where can i get some of the clear hose that size that is brake fluid safe?
I just used some vinyl tubing. It's only a pseudo reservoir for a brake that I never use.

marty
February 9th, 2009, 01:40 PM
did it sweat? all the stuff i tried from lowes or depot has always bleed through

Scored51
February 9th, 2009, 04:18 PM
Marty, how long did you leave it on before changing or noticing it?

marty
February 9th, 2009, 07:31 PM
i had used some of the thinner line for the line between my front master and rez. it started sweating within a day or so. i haven't tried any of the larger line that you could use a rear rez. my bike comes stock with the large line as a rear rez, so i am just trying to find something cheaper than the hrc price

Scored51
February 9th, 2009, 08:04 PM
Try a good sized modeling shop like "Hobby Town" (not Hobby "Lobby") as the R/C guys need good fuel line as some are using nitromethane. You may run into size issues, but it's worth a visit. At least they will be knowledgeable, and then you can decide what might work.

eklew
February 10th, 2009, 09:16 AM
Try a good sized modeling shop like "Hobby Town" (not Hobby "Lobby") as the R/C guys need good fuel line as some are using nitromethane. You may run into size issues, but it's worth a visit. At least they will be knowledgeable, and then you can decide what might work.

R/C shops will not have anything in that big a diameter. Way too big for a nitro car, even a 1/5 scale as those run on regular pump gas, not nitro. What I would think would work is that hose that motorcross bikes use for the junk that runs out of the engine and has the plug on the end. Have no idea what it is called but I am always having to empty it out on my Honda CRF250r, especially when running supermoto due to all the high rpms. That hose seems like it might hold up to brake fluid.

bluedevil
February 11th, 2009, 11:42 AM
Ive picked up some clear tubing from Faster in the past. They sold it by the 6". Dont remember the cost but it was not much at all...

PremiumBlend
February 12th, 2009, 12:11 AM
You can buy clear fuel line tubing in most any size at Advanced Auto. It's usually pre-cut in a box.

cromer611
February 12th, 2009, 01:05 PM
cool ty!

Jim 'smooth' Brewer
February 12th, 2009, 05:53 PM
did it sweat? all the stuff i tried from lowes or depot has always bleed through
Yeah, it did a little, but not enough to even form a drop. So I wiped it off every weekend or so.

joe859
February 15th, 2009, 01:23 AM
Tygon tubing. Get it here: US Plastic (http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=USPlastic&category%5Fname=7510&product%5Fid=26053&cookie%5Ftest=1)
It's really cheap, and virtually any-chemical-proof.