PDA

View Full Version : Crash Cage???? Possibly.....

PremiumBlend
January 27th, 2009, 02:08 PM
I just wanted to know the official rule on running a crash cage? This is my first season racing so I know for a fact that I'm going to wreck but I'd sure like to put as much protection as possible on my bike . Obviously this would be in correlation with all existing rules, and whatever class would allow this.

Thanks in advance everyone...

dragos13
January 27th, 2009, 02:22 PM
If you are running Nov and Am classes then I dont see any rules against it. I wanna ask tho, what are you trying to protect that would require a crash cage? Also, think about the added weight to the machine. I think sliders and case covers would be enough to protect your bike, imo.

jplracing
January 27th, 2009, 02:25 PM
this question came up last year

I believe Ray denied them do to ground clearence issues

Joe

Throttleroller277
January 27th, 2009, 02:56 PM
I remember this one coming up as well, and I too think it was denied.

Aside from the ground clearance. Some frames are made to Flex as well. I know the R6's are, and depending on how it is bolted on, may stiffen it, drastically changing the handling characteristics . 8)

PremiumBlend
January 27th, 2009, 03:34 PM
If you are running Nov and Am classes then I dont see any rules against it. I wanna ask tho, what are you trying to protect that would require a crash cage? Also, think about the added weight to the machine. I think sliders and case covers would be enough to protect your bike, imo.

I come from a stunting background and having a crash cage when my bike tumbles has saved me THOUSANDS of dollars in replacements. I have always run a Freestyle Ingenuity cage, and even when I'm drifting (which at times I'm dragging knee, peg, leg, arm, head :) ) I almost never hit the cage. I'm basically just trying to protect the motor and since I won't be breaking any track records anytime soon the added weight (which is about 15lbs) is not really a huge concern. I have seen aftermarket case covers explode, and sliders help for about the 1st 10 feet. :)

However, someone stating that a cage stiffens the frame and can create handling issues is DEFINITELY food for thought and I didn't even think of that scenario. And 600RR frames do flex quite a bit. (as compared to older bikes like an F4i or 929) Thanks for the heads up guys... I appreciate it.

marty
January 27th, 2009, 04:02 PM
IIRC these were denied because as you slide they could make sparks. same as metal pucks

The GECCO
January 27th, 2009, 04:47 PM
IIRC these were denied because as you slide they could make sparks. same as metal pucks

Not to mention the increased possibility of damaging the track itself.

Either way, you WILL drag a stunt cage when your speeds pick up. I occasionally drag the bodywork on my GSXR, there's no way I could have a crash cage.

marty
January 27th, 2009, 04:52 PM
I occasionally drag the bodywork on my GSXR, there's no way I could have a crash cage.
you ride motorcycles? thought you were a car guy :roll: :lol:

PremiumBlend
January 27th, 2009, 04:59 PM

Ok cool, thanks for the info.

rforsythe
January 27th, 2009, 10:33 PM
Crashing at stunna speeds is also a bit different than crashing at race speeds, particularly since stunt crashes also tend to be more of the "fall over" variety. A lowside at any decent speed with crash bars is likely to catch the bike on something and turn what might have been a little bit of bodywork, perhaps some small-ish bike bits, etc into a fairly epic show for the spectators as your bike cartwheels itself into oblivion.

Besides, a good set of bodywork (light, flexible) is likely to survive most minor-moderate crashes without being ripped to shreds and just some mending needed. You'd be amazed what quality race "glass" (fiberglass bodywork) will withstand compared to your street plastics.

The GECCO
January 28th, 2009, 12:07 AM
I occasionally drag the bodywork on my GSXR, there's no way I could have a crash cage.
you ride motorcycles? thought you were a car guy :roll: :lol:

Oh, man....I guess I deserved that one....LoL

phildrummond
January 28th, 2009, 01:31 PM
Cheapest way to save plastics is to ride nice and slow at the back with me!

JohnGarc
January 29th, 2009, 12:33 AM
OR... Buy Motoforza Race bodywork and your problems will be solved. The bodywork is great... I have it on my GSXR and R1 and comes with CARBON/KEVLAR reinforced tabs. Quality stuff imported from the Czech Republic. Shipping takes around 10 days to come in. So order early... You can contact Martin Jarusek #776 from MotorForza or ME and we will take care of you with MRA discounts.

PremiumBlend
January 29th, 2009, 12:29 PM
http://www.haibikeshop.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_15_1190_1191&products_id=1000

What about this? It says it's "CCS and WERA" approved for the track. How does the MRA fall under these guidelines, if at all?

JimWilson29
January 29th, 2009, 12:48 PM
http://www.haibikeshop.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_15_1190_1191&products_id=1000

What about this? It says it's "CCS and WERA" approved for the track. How does the MRA fall under these guidelines, if at all?

MRA has its own rulebook and is not associated with CCS or WERA.

Also, I don't see anything in WERA's rulebook that says they approve them- http://wera.com/rulebook/?x=1098#ch8
nor CCS http://www.ccsracing.us/forms/2008/rules/2008%20ASRA-CCS%20Rulebook.pdf
unless it falls under the frame modifications for superbike where it states "Strengthening gussets or tubes may be added."

Throttleroller277
January 29th, 2009, 01:11 PM
I thought you were worried about the Case Covers??....... and once again.... Change in frame flex?

gsnyder828
January 29th, 2009, 01:44 PM
Also, I don't see anything in WERA's rulebook that says they approve them-

Not in the rule book - but they do seem to allow them...

http://forums.13x.com/showthread.php?t=136961&highlight=race+railz

Of course just b/c it's allowed doesn't mean someone should actually do it 8)

JimWilson29
January 29th, 2009, 01:49 PM
Also, I don't see anything in WERA's rulebook that says they approve them-

Not in the rule book - but they do seem to allow them...

http://forums.13x.com/showthread.php?t=136961&highlight=race+railz

Of course just b/c it's allowed doesn't mean someone should actually do it 8)

Even though he says he likes them, Mongo never says anywhere in that thread that they are actually legal.

I like it.

However they have never asked for approval.

You punk kids don't remember when crash bars were the norm. :D There was even wording in the rulebook allowing them for production.

Seriously though, they don't seem like they'd be worse than frame sliders and as long as they are they're no worse on a long slide than the frame itself or a bar or the like.

JWinter
January 29th, 2009, 07:53 PM
Racing isn't stunting, if crashing is the expectation then maybe you should stick to stunting. If you must race, try and focus on some control!! I don't want to see you or anybody else hurt. Crashing while racing isn't just about you!!! But also the guy right next to you, and I for one still have a good job and would like to make it back to work after racing.

Listen to the experts, we all started out slow and a bit bewildered.

Jeff

Ray-Ray
January 29th, 2009, 07:55 PM
this question came up last year

I believe Ray denied them do to ground clearence issues

Joe

You are correct Joe....

They are not allowed in the MRA....

Thanks,
Ray

rforsythe
January 30th, 2009, 02:32 PM

Some of us still are! :(

GNGSXR
January 30th, 2009, 04:16 PM
i was the one who brought this up last year.
i had "race rails" on my 06' 750 for riding around on the street.
i got denied from using them in the MRA.

even if they were allowed i prob still wouldnt want to use them. they would be a pain in the a$$ if you needed to do any sort of maintenance on your bike in the pits.

PremiumBlend
January 31st, 2009, 11:27 PM
i was the one who brought this up last year.
i had "race rails" on my 06' 750 for riding around on the street.
i got denied from using them in the MRA.

even if they were allowed i prob still wouldnt want to use them. they would be a pain in the a$$ if you needed to do any sort of maintenance on your bike in the pits.

Cool man... thanks for the info and good point on doing maintenance. They would be a pain to get around when you have to take plastics off.

PremiumBlend
January 31st, 2009, 11:31 PM
Racing isn't stunting, if crashing is the expectation then maybe you should stick to stunting. If you must race, try and focus on some control!! I don't want to see you or anybody else hurt. Crashing while racing isn't just about you!!! But also the guy right next to you, and I for one still have a good job and would like to make it back to work after racing.

Jeff

You are correct sir, racing isn't stunting but I am also NOT a naive newbie. I have come to the realization that there is an extremely strong possibility I'm going to crash and since the odds are against me I was just trying to see what I could do to help protect my bike. And believe me, the VERY LAST thing I'm trying to do is take someone else out with me, if I wreck I really hope I'm the only one... but if someone goes down with me I will feel horrible b/c it's my fault. I may be a newbie, but I at least have respect.

JWinter
February 2nd, 2009, 10:51 PM
I didn't mean to be.....gruff.....I just associate with some stunters who have a bit of a 'tude, and you don't appear to have that 'tude.

Good luck at the track,

Jeff

PremiumBlend
February 3rd, 2009, 08:51 AM
I didn't mean to be.....gruff.....I just associate with some stunters who have a bit of a 'tude, and you don't appear to have that 'tude.

Good luck at the track,

Jeff

No worries man... I'm here to have fun just like everyone else and spend a weekend doing something more entertaining than sitting on the couch. :)