PDA

View Full Version : found a new way to hurt myself in the winter

marty
January 25th, 2009, 06:24 PM
has anyone else been up to boulder indoor cycling to ride their velodrome.
http://www.boulderindoorcycling.com/Boulder-Velodrome-Cycling.aspx

me and the wife have been doing this for the past two weeks and it is a blast. the track is a wooden oval with 45 degrees of banking! the bikes are fixed gear (so no free spin) and best of all no brakes. scroll to the bottom of this page to see a similar track that has similar banking
http://www.boulderindoorcycling.com/Boulder-Indoor-Cycling-News.aspx

its a pretty good deal, for $80 you get 6 weeks of beginner instruction, and that includes a rental bike. all you got to bring is a brain bucket. however i would suggest bringing clipless pedals/shoes and some clear glasses. the toe clip pedals they have for free don't have much clearance and it is easy to case out. don't ask how i know :oops:

Scored51
January 25th, 2009, 08:18 PM
YES!!! I've been going since the beginning of the year. I can't wait to race league nights with you Marty. I've also been talking to Brewer about going since he's a road rider (and weight lifter). When is your class time?

BTW, that bike rental now includes a TRANSPONDER. I offered to "help out" and now I'm in the middle of installing and implementing the whole system.

Jon
January 25th, 2009, 09:41 PM
I can't believe you guys would come to Boulder and not invite me to come along, for one I live and train in Boulder and two. I know where to get real food. Oh well, leave it to a couple of Denverites :)

marty
January 26th, 2009, 02:50 AM
i have been going on wednesday at 6pm. as of last week, me and my wife are the only ones in our class. we started with 7 or 8 folks but they transferred to mondays. it would be a hoot to have some other mra folks out there with us

mbohn
January 26th, 2009, 06:19 AM
I can't believe you guys would come to Boulder and not invite me to come along, for one I live and train in Boulder and two. I know where to get real food. Oh well, leave it to a couple of Denverites :)Jon: Wanna ski? Give me a shout. I go twice a week MJ or Copper. It's hard work, but someone's got to do it! I've had 60% powder days so far this season and I expect today that will go up to 66%. Beats the heck out of indoor exercise.

Scored51
January 26th, 2009, 01:03 PM
Jon... there is supposed to be another bigger velodrome being built in Erie within walking distance of your shop. The zoning was approved last November I believe, but there hasn't been any visible progress.

Marty... Wednesday evenings is one of the few times I can't be there. My class is Tuesday 2:00 and we've dwindled down to 4. It's great you and your wife can have the individual attention riding through the beginner series.

gpsigs
January 26th, 2009, 01:55 PM
I want in! why does it have to be in Boulder?

Sigs

turbohoje
January 26th, 2009, 03:16 PM
holy crap. i want to go.

i take it i need a track cert class first? can i bring a road bike on the course or are they strict on their surface rules and dont want to contaminate it with non VD tires?

phildrummond
January 26th, 2009, 03:32 PM
I need to buy a track bike. I haven't ridden one in years! That track looks like MORE fun than a full size velodrome...reminds me of XR100s in the cage a the circus!

Scored51
January 26th, 2009, 05:47 PM
There is a one time intro class just to get you onto the track which I highly recommend ('cause it'll get you hooked). But you'll need to take a couple series of classes in order to get certified. Each series is one hour per week for 6 weeks. Unfortunately, road bikes are not allowed on the track, and there are some pretty strict restrictions on fixed gear bikes as well. Due to the 45 degree banking there is a minimum bottom bracket height of 285mm (from the ground to the BOTTOM of the bracket - not the center) as well as 165mm crank sets.

The other odd thing about the track is that you'll most likely ride one size down from your road bike (i.e. 56cm = road, then 54cm = track). I found I couldn't reach where my hands needed to be on my road frame size. In any case, the rental is included with the class fee, so might as well use their bike with a transponder.

Like Marty said earlier, just bring your normal riding gear (shorts, shirt, helmet, and shoes) as well as your pedals. If you hang out for a few minutes, you're almost sure to see some world class athletes past and present, and the gadget geeks will be drooling as well. (Teschners, Cervelo P3's, etc.)

HAMMER
January 26th, 2009, 05:49 PM
i thought we raced "MOTOR" cycles ??? exercise is for fat people :oops:

Spicee Brown
January 27th, 2009, 01:30 PM
Yes, hammer..but you get a chance to shave those lovely legs butter smooth.

Jon
January 27th, 2009, 01:43 PM
I actually skied yesterday at Keystone as well as looked at Real Estate. with my twins turning six and my love for skiing seems like a real estate purchase in the mountains is where I'm heading. This weeks crazy so next but I will be heading up Monday to ski. After maybe going snowmobiling Friday,Sat then coming home for my Superbowl party Sunday then like I said ski Monday. So give me a shout. Later JG

Scored51
January 27th, 2009, 09:46 PM
Here's some video that got posted. I think it was from last Saturday evening's beginner class. :D

http://fullcyclebikes.com/

marty
January 28th, 2009, 12:36 AM
I want in! why does it have to be in Boulder?

Sigs
i'm not sure how you would get in touch with them but you have an olympic sized velodrome in the springs