PDA

View Full Version : I need your crashed gear! (and new donor helmets...)

rforsythe
January 15th, 2009, 10:36 PM
Greetings,

I am working on my EMT cert, and noticed the woeful lack of motorcycle-related supplies for folks to practice on. This is one of the better schools out there, and about all they have are a couple 20-year-old lids on a shelf to demo removals on.

I know from firsthand experience many of you have been the recipient of proper helmet technique, and at least a few of you that ended up having neck fractures that turned up after the fact that probably owe your ability to walk today, to people knowing what they were doing when they pulled it off your head. I've also seen under-trained medics give it a go, and trust me - you don't want that.

Some of you go through gear like it's going out of style, so I am requesting donations of crashed gear if you have it. I need helmets (especially well-crashed ones, so we can show what it looks like when someone eats it); also if you were in a crash where the outer shell was relatively unmolested but the interior foam shows cracks, that would be very useful too. Also I need actual riding gear (race or street) so we can show people what it's like to assess a patient with thick leather or textile on, and the difficulties that can make.

Even if it's something you want to keep for sentimental value, it would be very useful for me to even borrow it for a couple months. If it's something you want back let me know in advance, and I will tag it so I can return it. Otherwise it will become part of the training material for the course; gear will get cut up, helmets will get passed around, etc.

Also if you are with a shop and maybe have some cheapo full-face helmets you can't move, please consider donating them to me for this for the removal training; we can't use crashed lids for this part since people will actually be putting them on. With 22 people in the class, we need 7-8 of them. Right now they have two available.

Please consider that the EMT that gets trained on this stuff today might just be the person who gets called to work on you at some point. Any help here is doing a major good deed for riders (and maybe even racers) around the state.

If you're going to Sheila's party on the 24th I can collect there, or just PM me here and we can hook up to get whatever you have.

Thanks!!
- Ralph

Electroman
January 16th, 2009, 12:35 AM
Sorry, I have thrown my broken helmets away.

Yet, Getting your toe in a chain / sprocket is bad.

mbohn
January 16th, 2009, 06:29 AM
Sorry, I have thrown my broken helmets away.
Same here but I can donate a "well-used" bicycle helmet if you like.

DarkKnight
January 16th, 2009, 08:04 AM
I have a set of leathers I havent been able to sell along with an older spine protector I can give you. They have some rash and you can see where the bike center punched me in the back and did a rubbing of the spine protector through the leather.

Spiderman
January 16th, 2009, 08:56 AM
I have 3 or 4 crashed helmets you can have - I have to get them from Joe's first, but they're yours (visors & liners have been removed from all of them). You can also borrow the one from my Superman crash, but I would like that back. :|

http://4horsemenracing.net/2007/images/BobsSupermanCrash/HJC_AC-12_(1).jpg

HAMMER
January 17th, 2009, 11:23 AM
got everything ya need .... wadded boots helmet gloves and suit . shoot me pm

rforsythe
January 23rd, 2009, 01:56 PM
Bump! Please bring stuff to Sheila's party tomorrow if you can. If you're giving me gear and won't be able to make it, I will meet up with you soon.

Thanks!