PDA

View Full Version : road racing a dirt bike... tech questions

motobum
January 15th, 2009, 06:02 PM
i will be bringing my kx450f supermoto bike to a couple of the smaller tracks next year, and i have some questions regarding passing tech.

do i need a steering damper?

do i need a belly pan if i use catch cans?

T Baggins
January 16th, 2009, 09:06 AM
yes.

yes.

dave.gallant
January 16th, 2009, 09:28 AM
yes.

yes.

Really?

I know of some that didn't have either last year??

dave.gallant
January 16th, 2009, 09:29 AM
...and, just to add:

My 450 makes a corrected 45-48HP at the rear wheel. That's like a true 35 horsepower motorcycle. Do we really need to have steering dampers on that!?!

motobum
January 16th, 2009, 11:02 AM
ya a belly pan i understand, but i was hoping that i wouldnt have to use a steering damper.

marty
January 17th, 2009, 04:38 PM
yes.

yes.

Really?

I know of some that didn't have either last year??
hmm, my crystal ball sees a protest in colorado class next year :lol:

Jim 'smooth' Brewer
January 18th, 2009, 11:03 AM
When we were racing supermoto, we were *not* requiring belly pans.

Bart can speak to this, but basically the purpose of a bellypan is to prevent catastrophic oil release such as that caused by a thrown rod. Multi cylinder motors have the potential to do much more oil spreading than a single, since a single will stop with a busted rod, whereas a 4 cylinder will keep whipping the rod around and carve through the cases.

That's similar to the reasoning behind 5.2.CC. exempting 2-strokes from needing a bellypan.

It's Ray's call, not Tbag's! [-X

Jim 'smooth' Brewer
January 18th, 2009, 11:10 AM
Oh man, let's not go there. I really don't want to see protests about someone not having wired pinch bolts or having holes in their leathers. Just tell Ray about it..

Ray-Ray
January 19th, 2009, 06:50 AM
i will be bringing my kx450f supermoto bike to a couple of the smaller tracks next year, and i have some questions regarding passing tech.

No Steering damper and no belly pan.

T Baggins
January 19th, 2009, 08:07 AM

I'm just telling ya what the rulebook says... if Ray-Ray want's to deviate, then that's his perogative.

dave.gallant
January 19th, 2009, 09:09 AM
Oh man, let's not go there. I really don't want to see protests about someone not having wired pinch bolts or having holes in their leathers. Just tell Ray about it..

Can't protest a technical infraction FWIW.

hcr25
January 19th, 2009, 10:08 AM

Can't protest a technical infraction FWIW.

Can we be DQ'ed for one? :roll:

motobum
January 19th, 2009, 10:49 AM

No Steering damper and no belly pan.

thanks ray ray!

tbags... thanks for nuttin! :wink: :)

TBSgraphics
February 2nd, 2009, 08:41 PM
When we were racing supermoto, we were *not* requiring belly pans.

That's similar to the reasoning behind 5.2.CC. exempting 2-strokes from needing a bellypan.

Thought 2-strokes were exempted due to the fact they have NO oil in the crank case... :roll:

Scored51
February 3rd, 2009, 08:56 PM
True, but the problem lies in the fact that MOST two strokes that are road raced already come with a belly pan. Therefore, if you were to race an RZ350, for example, be prepared to get black flagged by corner workers until everyone is on the same page that you aren't required to have one. Dan Qualtaire got fed up enough he ended up making one out of a turkey basting pan. I don't Think Chuck has had any issues with his CR500.

Jim 'smooth' Brewer
February 4th, 2009, 07:35 AM
Thought 2-strokes were exempted due to the fact they have NO oil in the crank case... :roll:
I think most 2 strokes share the cases with their clutches & transmissions, which generally have oil. :roll: