PDA

View Full Version : Transponder questions.

Captain Obvious
January 4th, 2009, 07:01 PM
So what is the story with transponders for the 2009 season? Are they required? Some of the threads here indicate they are not mandatory for race weekends.

Is MRA selling them still? There were a couple threads that indicated you could buy them from MRA at discounted rates if they rented for the season prior (2008 purchase). What are the restrictions/policies for the 09 season?

Is there one brand that works best with MRA's setup if purchasing from external companies or people selling their old gear?

Do any of the track day groups have a transponder system they use during a track day/weekend? Same system as the MRAs?

Thanks

Scored51
January 4th, 2009, 10:00 PM
Welcome Capt. O!

Yes, transponders are required. It is not mandatory to own your own as the club has a number of rental units available at a cost of $50 per weekend for any given race weekend.

The club did sell off a number of used transponders from its rental fleet during the '07 and pre '08 season to active racers. The sale was a success, and consequently there are are no longer any available.

The make and model of transponder the club uses is the AMB TranX260. If you hit the following link you'll see what you'll need: http://www.amb-it.com/motorcycle-racing-transponders-c-10_12.html?osCsid=53c64d778284d44ecd804edc55d38aab

There may be some here for sale here, but the place to watch like a hawk are the WERA forums. I say that you need to be vigilant about it because they usually sell within hours of the original posting. (Good Luck)

Some track day groups may have their own AMB-it systems, but I don't know of any that sell personal transponder kits. The system is quite popular with bike clubs which is why I suggested the WERA forums for used units.

Your welcome... if you have any other questions please feel free to contact me via email c.dale at comcast dot net. I've also answered a number of questions previously on the forums so you may be able to find answers without having to wait for an answer.

Captain Obvious
January 5th, 2009, 07:32 AM
Thanks for the info. I think you covered everything I need!

Off shopping I go.

N1K
March 16th, 2009, 09:30 PM
Hey Hi! How bout where and how did you guys mount your trasponders to the bike?? Pics?

oldtimer
March 17th, 2009, 03:00 PM
Faster Motosports sells fork clamps that the transponder bracket mounts to. Very nice. Stop by or call them at 303-825-0975

Scored51
March 17th, 2009, 03:37 PM
Here are some pics of where your transponder is supposed to be mounted. This pics also happens to have the clamp that "oldtimer" is referring to available from Faster. The black plastic bracket should be included when you purchase your transponder and can be mounted on either fork leg between the triple clamps.

http://i245.photobucket.com/albums/gg77/Priority51/Motorcycle/bracket.jpg

http://i245.photobucket.com/albums/gg77/Priority51/Motorcycle/M_Bracket.jpg

ryan
March 18th, 2009, 04:59 PM
i was told the transponders cant be over a certain age, something like 3 years. is this true? so if i fint one thats 5 years old it wont work fo rthe 09 racing season?

N1K
March 18th, 2009, 05:18 PM
Well Thank you Thank you very much. I'll have to scoop one of those up friday.

Scored51
March 18th, 2009, 06:10 PM
i was told the transponders cant be over a certain age, something like 3 years. is this true? so if i fint one thats 5 years old it wont work fo rthe 09 racing season?

Not true. The only system requirement is that it be a AMB-it TranX-260 transponder. There are two styles as pictured below. The "original style" is on the left (with bracket) and the current design is on the right (with bracket). The only issue you will have with the older style OR a newer style that wasn't cared for is the battery will not hold a charge for a long as a newly purchased unit from AMB-it.

If you find a transponder that looks like either of these but is a different color, it's probably a TranX160 (for karts) or an MX (for motocross). Neither of these transponders will work with our system as they do not meet certain minimum technical specifications.

Hope this helps,

http://i245.photobucket.com/albums/gg77/Priority51/Motorcycle/T-Options.jpg

ryan
March 19th, 2009, 10:15 AM
thats what i needed to know! thanks a lot

super-zhero
March 30th, 2009, 10:23 PM
wondering how I rent one for the weekend. I tried to veiw the pre reg. but its not up yet. is that where we get one or is it first come first serv. at the race?
thanks
Scott

Scored51
March 31st, 2009, 08:38 AM
Yep. Transponders are available in the race day office where pre-tech, grids, and our wonderful secretary sets up shop. It is a first come first serve basis starting when the race day office opens on Saturday morning. The cost is $50 for each race weekend.

elvis8310@hotmail.com
April 6th, 2009, 04:50 PM
If transponders are able to rented then why does it say on the race form you can no longer rent them? I have yet to buy one an dneed this awnser so I know if I am in a time crunch with buying one or not?

Jon
April 6th, 2009, 05:08 PM
My guess is if it says that you can't rent them anymore is that the MRA is either 1)No longer has them for rent or 2) They're some for rent but due to others being quicker to get signed up and actually request one that the few that the MRA actually had for rent are spoken for for the first race. I'm sure that one of our esteemed experts on the matter will soon chime in. Transponder Chris, you out there?

P.S. Elvis, if your going to continue to race it'd be a good idea just to go ahead and buy one, it'll be cheaper in the long run.

T Baggins
April 6th, 2009, 05:36 PM
Yes, there are some available for rent thru the MRA - but that is a "courtesy" feature for out of town racers, or people who have failures of their own during the weekend.

Ultimately all racers are responsible for providing their own transponders. IF we run out during the race weekend, and you're relying on a rental unit, then you're SOL...

elvis8310@hotmail.com
April 6th, 2009, 05:56 PM
Oh, I plan on buying one once my tax return comes in. I am part of that new bill for buying a house so I am just waiting for my money to come in. Then I will be buying one fore sure.