PDA

View Full Version : slowest class

codan
January 1st, 2009, 09:47 PM
A long time ago (on a race track not so far away) I spent a summer in the MRA and loved it.

Now I'm thinking just a bit (a small bit) about taking it up next year. But I'm not the balls out guy I was once.

What the SLOWEST class?

I want to at least be competitive with the end of the pack.

Thx

DingleBerns
January 1st, 2009, 10:37 PM
you could try the sportsman class....that might fit your needs.

Dingle

marty
January 2nd, 2009, 12:54 AM
A long time ago (on a race track not so far away) I spent a summer in the MRA and loved it.

Now I'm thinking just a bit (a small bit) about taking it up next year. But I'm not the balls out guy I was once.

What the SLOWEST class?

I want to at least be competitive with the end of the pack.

Thx
what kind of bike you got. colorado class moves a pretty calm pace and runs with sportman.

codan
January 2nd, 2009, 08:15 AM
[quote=codan]
what kind of bike you got. colorado class moves a pretty calm pace and runs with sportman.

FJR1300 (which isn't going to the track) and a KTM 300 2-stroke dirt bike which could get slicks and be fun to ride. I doubt it would go over 90 even geared for top speed.

But I was thinking of buying something if there was a class. For example, if there was a cnewbie lass for small twins then maybe a Kaw Ninja 250.

Re the Sportsman class. If I'm going say 80, and a on a gxr goes by at 140, I'm gonna need to change my leathers!

Moto-Mania
January 2nd, 2009, 11:24 AM
Yeah, Colorado Class would be the ticket. But you would still have to deal with the Sportsman folks on their 4 cylinder 600s and 1000s (they start in a second wave behind Colorado Class). Despite that, I think everyone would agree that Colorado Class/Sportsman is a pretty mellow group.

Interesting side note: Apparently, the new Ninja 250 class "Rent-a-Ninja" program at WSMC is doing very well. Probably don't have the critical mass to make something like that work in Colorado, though.

Ray-Ray
January 2nd, 2009, 01:57 PM
Buy an SV to learn how to race on! They are fun as hell and VERY inexpensive to race....

phildrummond
January 2nd, 2009, 03:51 PM
Ray-Ray, excellent point. But wherever would one be able to find an SV 650 for sale? I've heard with some SV's, you even get free racing. That true?

(ummm...do I get banned for plugging classifieds on this post?)

marty
January 2nd, 2009, 05:23 PM
i believe you could run the dirt bike in colorado class if you wanted to just get a feel for the whole racing thing. the ninja 250 would probably be too slow to ever be competitive in any class. i would say look for an rs125 or tz125 if are into gp bikes or find a used sv. i do believe there is a pretty good deal on one over in the classified. the seller is ray-ray. if you want, you could drop me a pm with your phone # and we could talk in more detail
marty

kfm61
January 2nd, 2009, 06:52 PM
The Colorado class and Sportsman class is a lot of fun. While the speeds aren't that fast, I've had some pretty good races with Marty and Jeff. I've also had my ass handed to me in that same class!

I end up behind Marty all the time, which is ok. His smoker kills all the bugs and they don't stick to my bike!
00--00

Moto-Mania
January 2nd, 2009, 07:29 PM
+1 for the SV -- that's a "real" race bike.
Plus all blue 2001 SVs almost always make it through tech - right, Ray?

elvis8310@hotmail.com
January 3rd, 2009, 07:26 PM
So I guess the sportsman class is like a superstock? I am also trying to figure out what to race next year. I have 2007 gsxr600 with limited parts on it. My motors is fully stock. I have been racing in Europe the superstock class for 5 years now so no real need to look for just slow classes for me.

joe859
January 4th, 2009, 08:26 AM
Elvis, Sportsman class is an entry-level class for practically any kind of racebike. It's intended for Novice racers that need to get up to speed in a more relaxed group.
Even though you have racing experience, you should take the New Racer School that is coming up in April. It's a good opportunity to meet the people that run the MRA and all the instructors are Expert-level racers. Bring any documentation you might have of previous racing experience, and they can tell you if you need to start off as a Novice or Expert racer. Then you'll know what classes you need to prep your bike for...

Mforza
January 4th, 2009, 12:37 PM
Elvis. In your case i think you are way out of Sportsman class. 5 years of racing in Europe superstocks? You will lap allmost anybody in Sportsman. It's a beginers class. :D

elvis8310@hotmail.com
January 4th, 2009, 04:54 PM
Well as seeing I have not been on an American track in so long I thought it would be nice to start slow and move my way up ;)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v346/elvis8310/track/b4a6c768.jpg
Me at Oschersleben racing the old TLR
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v346/elvis8310/track/l_586dbb2d2a8e331b4b6a25e44d4ab28a.jpg
Me at Hockenheim racing the GSXR

phildrummond
January 5th, 2009, 10:23 AM
Elvis, I agree with Martin. Judging from your pics and experience, I'd say you're too fast for Sportsman. It's a perfect classfor your first ever race and have never done a mass start. Usually, there are 5-8 people who start and the class is time-limited. That means if you run under a specific lap time for each track, you're disqualified.

I did it a few times in 2008, won it once and I get my ass handed to me in other classes. Focus on Novice and Amateur classes. -And a good place to learn the tracks is to do Endurance. You can easily handle a few novice and amateur races plus Saturday afternoon endurance.

dragos13
January 5th, 2009, 10:33 AM
Elvis, I agree with Martin. Judging from your pics and experience, I'd say you're too fast for Sportsman. It's a perfect classfor your first ever race and have never done a mass start. Usually, there are 5-8 people who start and the class is time-limited. That means if you run under a specific lap time for each track, you're disqualified.

I did it a few times in 2008, won it once and I get my ass handed to me in other classes. Focus on Novice and Amateur classes. -And a good place to learn the tracks is to do Endurance. You can easily handle a few novice and amateur races plus Saturday afternoon endurance.

+1 on everything Tom said. If you have raced before then sportsman isn't really a class for you. Get into Novice, that class has plenty of slower riders in the mid to back of the pack. I bet you will find your way up to the top 10 Novice riders in no time. Then, run Amateur and you'll have some fast guys to chase. Good luck and welcome to US racing!!

elvis8310@hotmail.com
January 5th, 2009, 06:47 PM
Well, endurance racing is what I do best. WE did 80minute races in germany then 20 lap sprint races after. I love just going as fast as I can for as long as possible. I will looking to these type of races for sure. I guess I will also have to look into another class then sportsman as seeing I have no problem starting at all and do have enough time in racing to say I am not a starter for sure.

marty
January 5th, 2009, 08:52 PM
Well, endurance racing is what I do best. WE did 80minute races in germany then 20 lap sprint races after. I love just going as fast as I can for as long as possible. I will looking to these type of races for sure. I guess I will also have to look into another class then sportsman as seeing I have no problem starting at all and do have enough time in racing to say I am not a starter for sure.

80 minutes would be a hoot, but our endurance races are 30 minutes (about 20 laps) and our sprints are 7-8 laps. we have a lot of classes, so unless you are racing a 1000cc bike, you should be able to find at least 4 sprint classes and one or two endurance races (you could run middleweight and heavy weight back to back)

benfoxmra95
January 5th, 2009, 09:24 PM
Sportsman....? no way....I can tell from your pics, your not going to be happy in that class. in your pics you look like a top 5 supersport rider for sure.

Don't be sandbagging here :lol:

Welcome to colorado, btw, how do you go from hockenheim to Fountain colorado? :shock:

We've got tracks just like the ones in europe, there's PMI, it's sorta like...errr well. it's a race track for sure :wink: . then there's ppir it's just like daytona.....well a really small version of daytona.... :roll: regardless this is a great club filled with friendly people.

elvis8310@hotmail.com
January 5th, 2009, 09:27 PM
Well, the Army saw the need to bring me back to America after 8 years of fun over in Europe. At least I will not be deploying anytime soon.
Nope I am racing a 600 so all I need is my license(just need to fill out the paperwork and send it in) and to prep the bike to your rules(safety wire it up) and I am ready to go!!!!!!!

elvis8310@hotmail.com
January 5th, 2009, 09:31 PM
Now all I need is a place to buy a few set of BT-003 tires from as seeing I didn't ship any from my sponser over in Germany.

marty
January 5th, 2009, 10:01 PM
Well, the Army saw the need to bring me back to America after 8 years of fun over in Europe. At least I will not be deploying anytime soon.
Nope I am racing a 600 so all I need is my license(just need to fill out the paperwork and send it in) and to prep the bike to your rules(safety wire it up) and I am ready to go!!!!!!!

for your license you may also want to talk to our new rider director mark schellinger. and for the tires, get in touch with these guys:
http://www.fastermotosports.com/

tcrump711
January 7th, 2009, 10:45 AM
Correct me if Im wrong, but most novices in the MRA turn expert after a couple seasons (at most).
Elvis, you raced in europe for half a decade and have a tire sponsor. I think youll be bored as a novice. As far as the tracks here are concerned, keep one thing in mind..... half of our 2009 season will be on a track nobody has raced. We have no real advantage over you. PPIR has only been seen once by SOME of the Novices here. Just wanted to point out a couple things you may not know. See ya soon.

Ray-Ray
January 7th, 2009, 11:23 AM
Correct me if Im wrong, but most novices in the MRA turn expert after a couple seasons (at most).
Elvis, you raced in europe for half a decade and have a tire sponsor. I think youll be bored as a novice. As far as the tracks here are concerned, keep one thing in mind..... half of our 2009 season will be on a track nobody has raced. We have no real advantage over you. PPIR has only been seen once by SOME of the Novices here. Just wanted to point out a couple things you may not know. See ya soon.

You're just afraid he's gonna kick your BUTT! :P :P :P :P

Throttleroller277
January 7th, 2009, 12:54 PM

You're just afraid he's gonna kick your BUTT! :P :P :P :P

:D :lol: 8)
Welcome to the club Elvis. Feel free to pm me if you have any questions, or need any help. I look forward to meeting you. 8)

tcrump711
January 7th, 2009, 07:59 PM
So Ray, hows the competition in your mini class lookin for 2009. I hear they're a couple 10 year olds on a mission. Hey, Boo and I were thinking of starting our own class so we can win some races and maybe even a championship. Who would I talk to about that? :D

elvis8310@hotmail.com
January 7th, 2009, 08:18 PM
I thank one and all for all the help. To clear one thing, The team I was on had a tire sponser that all 9 of us used. At least 4 of the 9 riders places in there class top 5 for last year. I do not have one over here anymore but an looking for a vender for BT-003's before I call Germany and see how much shipping would be to get them to me. The only reason I want to start off slow is other than PPIR and HPR the tracks are for shit compared to the perfrect conditions of European tracks. I have been down to Pueblo and that track is well lets just say how do you all race on it? I will be signing up for 11 April if the Army lets me off. I hope to meet one and all this season and don't look for me to be to fast right away.

DingleBerns
January 8th, 2009, 08:49 AM
Faster! Motosports down in Denver is the Bridgestone Tire Vendor. Call them and see what you guys can work out. It will be much cheaper than shipping them in from Germany...

Dingle

fog600
January 8th, 2009, 09:13 AM
Ray Ray........
Can I start my own class? FSOG class. Fat Slow Old Guys. That will be the only way I can finish. Maybe then I won't get lapped 4 times in a sprint race. LOL. Of course, it would help if I actually show up and race.

Ray-Ray
January 8th, 2009, 09:18 AM
Ray Ray........
Can I start my own class? FSOG class. Fat Slow Old Guys. That will be the only way I can finish. Maybe then I won't get lapped 4 times in a sprint race. LOL. Of course, it would help if I actually show up and race.

Exactly! You would need to actually take the start in a race to get lapped!!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

fog600
January 8th, 2009, 09:22 AM
You a funny little man. LOL. Hope this season I will be able to run with you guys instead of sitting around. Things look to be good for the season. Look forward to being there.

jsears1864
January 26th, 2009, 03:12 AM
Interesting side note: Apparently, the new Ninja 250 class "Rent-a-Ninja" program at WSMC is doing very well. Probably don't have the critical mass to make something like that work in Colorado, though.

has the mra recently considered its own ninja 250 cup? or even an aprilia rs125 cup?