PDA

View Full Version : Anyone racing WERA at Las Vegas in January?

vonconcepts.com
December 29th, 2008, 08:25 PM
It's been years since I went to a bigger show than SMRI.... so I would love to know if there is someone familiar going to Vegas in January. Even if you don't know me personally... I am sure someone in the club can vouch for me not being an A_ _ Clown.

I have never raced or ridden LVMS, but have a friend willing to meet me there to help in the pit.

Wanna hang out?

Kurt
SMRI #316

duggram
February 4th, 2009, 09:10 AM
Kurt, did you go? How was it? We went and it was my first time away from Arroyo Seco. My sponsor asked on the way back when the next WERA Vegas race is. I never really got used to T5 but did okay in the infield. Seemed to me the track was a little cold. I could slide around pretty good even on new tires (BT003's) Not bad for my first experience.

The biggest thing about Vegas was that we only knew one person there and he was pretty busy with his sponsored rider. But being a racer community we made lots of new friends. I especially enjoyed meeting the Latus team (factory backed AMA 1125 Buells). Their crew chief, Ronnie Saner was big help and he has a shop called RSRacecraft that I'll be doing some business with. The riders Allan and Josh were also helpful.

We plan to make at least one HPR MRA race this summer and I do plan to get involved in SMRI (why not I live in ABQ). Arroyo Seco is definitely my home track. I've ridden there a lot.

Let me know if I can help you. You can't have too many friends.

BTW I would have sent this by PM but it's not working for me yet.

Doug

vonconcepts.com
February 4th, 2009, 02:23 PM
Doug;

It was a conspiracy of errors keeping me from Vegas --- from sick kids to finances to being affraid of being there alone (what if I crashed?). I would definitely like to stay in touch. Have we met? If you are in ABQ, we should get together. I am #316 and run www.freetrackday.com and the ezine. Our first "Open" track day at Sandia is March 8th.

Rock on!!

Kurt

duggram
February 4th, 2009, 02:49 PM
I hear you on the traveling alone thing. I try to always take my sponsor, Elisa with me. Although I do go to Arroyo alone sometimes when she can't make it. But I would not go to Vegas alone.

I will do my best to get to your trackday. I was at the vintage race last year and thought I'd better get more experience before taking on that track. No problem now. I've proved that I can race safe so Elisa won't make me quit. I'm too old to get careless, but I'm having a lot of fun and that's what matters.

ZiaThunder
February 4th, 2009, 05:47 PM
I hear you on the traveling alone thing. I try to always take my sponsor, Elisa with me. Although I do go to Arroyo alone sometimes when she can't make it. But I would not go to Vegas alone.

Oh come on.... you boys are afraid to go to a track alone???? I did just that most of last year for the races in CO. I went to Laguna alone too.

Of course, if something bad does happen, you just need to make sure that you have a great friend who will come and get you.

duggram
February 4th, 2009, 06:00 PM
You know you're comparing apples and oranges? It's not like we can just flash our pretty smiles and get all the help we need!

duggram
February 5th, 2009, 03:32 AM
...you just need to make sure that you have a great friend who will come and get you.

Next weekend lets talk about traveling. I'm sure you could at least caravan with me & Elisa. Especially going somewhere like Vegas where we don't really know anyone it would be good to see another friendly face.