PDA

View Full Version : Spur of the moment truck/mc trip south- suggestions?

Dodd
December 7th, 2008, 03:12 AM
I can't take it anymore, the skys finally opened up and there is snow everywhere, but not enough on the mountian to make the crowds of idiots barable.

Here is my plan- Load the new Hypermotard S into the pickup. I'll prob. get done w/ work tomorrow around noon. Grab back pack n' gear, and head south on 25. Thinking about the hills in north TX, or south NM, but I have no experience past Pueblo in that direction.

I'll have to be back tuesday, late tuesday for work on wed.

Help! Its 3am- time is short

trthorn
December 7th, 2008, 11:38 AM
If you decide on southern NM, go to Truth or Consequences, about 2.5 hours south of Albuquerque. About 12 miles south of T or C (on I-25) exit on Hwy 152 toward Hillsboro. 25 miles later, it becomes the best road in NM (IMHO) for motorcycles, especially a motard. Tons of first & second gear corners. Pavement quality is pretty decent, but a little bumpy in places. I don't think they've sanded (due to snow) yet this year. Continue on to the Gila National Monument for another great stretch of twisties. From there, go south to Silver City for gas & food, then return. Count on 6-8 hours of riding from T or C. There's usually very little traffic on these roads, especially on a weekday. You won't be disappointed.

Now, the bad news... The weather forecasts don't look so great for Monday & Tuesday. Good luck & good riding whatever you decide!