PDA

View Full Version : buy new or used?

Coulomb
October 5th, 2005, 09:45 AM
I am moving to the Denver area over the next couple of months and have decided to acquire an SV650, rather than race prep my 2001 CBR600F4i. The question is, do I buy new or used? I think I can rationalize either way and would appreciate your feedback.

New:
- Pro: Latest technology from factory
- Pro: When race prep'd, the suspension components will be EXACTLY what I want, and designed for my body
- Pro: I can control what modifications are made so that I am not class limited later
- Pro: I can trade my CBR in at a dealership, and not bother with private sale
- Con: More $$ for base bike
- Con: No benefit of depreciation taken by previous owner

Used:
- Pro: Cheaper - previous owner takes the hit for bike and accessory depreciation
- Pro: Lots of the work is already done
- Con: Quality of workmanship hard to measure - especially internal mods
- Con: Modifications may not match my body
- Con: Modifications could be class limiting

Thanks in advance!

JT_42
October 5th, 2005, 12:03 PM
I would buy used....Just cause I'm tight like that. I can't afford the huge cost of the bike and all mods that it would take. If it is your first year racing, Make it a little cheaper by getting a used bike.
If everything works out and you decide to stay racing...Then up grade.
On average a racer (at club level) will only be around for three years. Credit Cards catch up to them or body can't handle it.

Just my .03 cents
James

T Baggins
October 5th, 2005, 04:12 PM
Let somebody else do all the work and throw all their money away. You can pick up a good used racebike for pennies on the dollar over what it would cost you to do a new one yourself.

Plus, you're gonna toss it away eventually anyway - so better to wreck a used bike than a new one.

rforsythe
October 5th, 2005, 05:29 PM
What they said, plus the important stuff on the SV's haven't changed a whole lot (i.e. performance will be the same). I can't remember what year they went FI but my guess is carb vs FI is just personal preference with this bike. You can do as little or as much as you want to them.

dave.gallant
October 5th, 2005, 05:30 PM
What they said, plus the important stuff on the SV's haven't changed a whole lot (i.e. performance will be the same). I can't remember what year they went FI but my guess is carb vs FI is just personal preference with this bike. You can do as little or as much as you want to them.

2003 is the first year of the EFI and the new frame style.

2005 is the first year of the black frame.

There are minor engine differences between the 2003/04 & the 2005, but very few and minor things like clutch plates and so forth.

Jim 'smooth' Brewer
October 5th, 2005, 07:13 PM
I'm the only vote for new, it seems. New bikes are racing, the street is for old, tired racebikes where it doesn't matter how well it works.

If you do buy a used racebike, make sure you get a reference about who you're buying it from. I've heard a number of horror stories about "getting a rippen deal" on a used racebike, only to hear later about spending more fixing it than it would have cost new.

cu260r6
October 5th, 2005, 07:50 PM
On the other hand I bought my racebike off ebay this year, and it won 9 novice races and ran flawlessly without adding a thing.

Coulomb
October 6th, 2005, 05:38 PM
Thanks for all the great feedback. If I find the right used bike, I will pull the trigger. If I feel that I can't find a reliable used bike in good time, however, I will pull the trigger on a new one.

From years of off-roading, I found that the true value in the sport came from actually participating the entire weekend. In the past when I tried to cut corners, the bad choice would show itself when I was on the trail. I need to be sure that I don't spend race weekends looking at a broken bike!