PDA

View Full Version : Corner working is fun?!

Lynn Carey
September 29th, 2008, 09:52 PM
Hey, I'm new and want to pass on some thoughts. Until this summer, I'd never been to a motorcycle race and knew nearly nothing. I ride a motorcycle, but that's way different.

Anyway, I've now worked two and half days as corner girl and wanted you to know how much I like it. Now I know colors mean something. I can name some of the rules you follow. I might even be able to identify some of those parts that fly off on the track that I run to pick up!

Who would have thought that standing outside all day in the heat and wind, with no shade, no chair, and an outhouse we barely have time to use would be addicting?! Well, I really like it. Thanks Electroman, #102, for getting me hooked.

What I really want to share is how impressed I am with you all. Nick, Kip, Vince, and Erica (plus names I don't know yet) are amazing. They are patient, mentally sharp, and react instantly with a cool head. Thanks, guys, for carrying me along the first few days.

The riders all seem to really appreciate the corner workers, and this is rewarding. The waves and wheelies on the cool down lap are fun. All in all, the whole group seems to be great. Thanks.

So now, maybe you can put a face and name to that corner girl in white-me! :o I'm working the last race in October and hope to meet more of you.

Hotrod
September 30th, 2008, 12:51 AM
Welcome, we are thrilled to have you. It is always great to have a new addict. Thank you so much for cornerworking!
:D

hcr25
September 30th, 2008, 07:52 AM
First off thank you for corner working. Without people like you we would not be able to race! We appreciate the effort for sure.
Mike #25

Hotrod
September 30th, 2008, 05:20 PM
First off thank you for corner working. Without people like you we would not be able to race! We appreciate the effort for sure.
Mike #25

And second...?

:lol:

The GECCO
September 30th, 2008, 07:56 PM
Mike #25

And second...?

Mike's second point was that Lincoln Todd is a douchebag, but being a gentleman he was too polite to say so...Everyone already thinks I'm an ass so I am not encumbered by such things.

HI LYNN!! http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v324/TheGECCO/smilies/wave2.gif Thanks for working!

Hotrod
September 30th, 2008, 08:18 PM
Mike #25

And second...?

Mike's second point was that Lincoln Todd is a douchebag, but being a gentleman he was too polite to say so...Everyone already thinks I'm an ass so I am not encumbered by such things.

HI LYNN!! http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v324/TheGECCO/smilies/wave2.gif Thanks for working!

Somehow I don't think that there is much of anything that encumbers you, Glen Conser.
Who is Lincoln Todd?
:twisted:

Hotrod
September 30th, 2008, 08:21 PM
Besides, y'all are just mad that I got around to thanking her before you did. Nanner, Nanner!

Lynn, Thanks again. You rock way more than those two up there ^ :lol:

The GECCO
September 30th, 2008, 09:27 PM
:lol: :lol:

Lynn Carey
September 30th, 2008, 09:42 PM
Thanks for the reply. If I got it right:

Hot Rod (Glen?) likes juvenile name calling, "Nanner, Nanner"; hcr25 (Mike?) is ordinally number challenged (tip: first, second, third); and GECCO (Glen) is an unencumbered ass. Got it! Couldn't resist. :wink: Can't wait to meet you.

Hotrod
September 30th, 2008, 10:53 PM
Uh-oh Glen, sounds like she knows you!

Electroman
September 30th, 2008, 11:59 PM
Hi Lynn,
On your first day of working corners, I hadn't expected such enthusiasm. That's cool. And thanks.

I also want to thank all the corner workers that helped me on Saturday (race weekend #9) when I crashed in turn 3. I layed on the side of the track with a broken foot. Yet, I knew a friendly corner worker would be at my side in no time. Thanks everyone.

Lynn, Ill see you at PPIR.
Rod

The GECCO
October 1st, 2008, 08:10 AM
Thanks for the reply. If I got it right:

Hot Rod (Glen?) likes juvenile name calling, "Nanner, Nanner"; hcr25 (Mike?) is ordinally number challenged (tip: first, second, third); and GECCO (Glen) is an unencumbered ass. Got it! Couldn't resist. :wink: Can't wait to meet you.

Perfect! Except HotRod is Lincoln....he wishes he were cool enough to have the same name as me!!

spyvspy
October 1st, 2008, 01:58 PM
Lynn--

So you've already seen by the responses to this post of yours what a "hilarious" bunch of guys are out there on the track or in the pits while you're dodging tarantulas in the dust bowls of Pueblo!

Like you, I am new to corner working and racing this year-- and I love it too! I didn't work the last race because, well... I raced it! First race weekend ever-- woo hoo! (That'll be YOU soon too; you'll see!) Anyway, I am working PPIR and it'll be cool to meet you then.

Thank you so much for coming out to corner work. I agree with you-- it's one of the most compelling, exciting, and rewarding things -- and you will always be appreciated for your work and dedication.

Nick, Kip, Erika, Vinnie and all the corner worker regulars and such a great bunch-- and the racers have shown me so much support and encouragement as I jumped into racing. The MRA is really a family-- so welcome to it!

Best,
Kate

phildrummond
October 1st, 2008, 05:23 PM
Aw man. I'm not a great bunch? Whatever. Work on your own bike.

And Lynn- I see you'll be fitting in just fine.

Hotrod
October 1st, 2008, 05:43 PM
Aw man. I'm not a great bunch? Whatever. Work on your own bike.

And Lynn- I see you'll be fitting in just fine.
And you two are STILL squabbling? Don't make me stop this car!

spyvspy
October 1st, 2008, 07:43 PM
Lincoln,

I've decided should Tom ever be lucky enough to marry me, you're presiding! :lol:

Moto-Mania
October 1st, 2008, 08:03 PM
Lynn:

You and all the other corner workers are awesome!

I remember my first race. When I crossed the finish line, I said to myself, "Man, I really suck at this!" Then, on my cool down lap, all the corner workers applauded as you always do. I was astonished. All self doubt was instantly banished. That sealed the deal for me. I've been hooked ever since.

So, I think there is an unspoken bond between racers and corner workers that transcends picking us up along with our bits and pieces after we crash. You guys fulfill an important role on many different levels. Thank you for all your efforts in support of the club.

Mike

Lynn Carey
October 1st, 2008, 08:39 PM
Hot Rod Lincoln? Isn't that a song by Commander Cody?

Hotrod
October 1st, 2008, 09:20 PM
... headed up grapevine hill, passin' cars like they was standin' still...

Yup. That's where I got my nickname. :D

And Kate, any event with me presiding is destined for infamy. Just ask Kip! Or Mark and Tammy.
Or anyone, really. Seems I have a rep... :oops:

spyvspy
October 1st, 2008, 09:42 PM
Why does that not surprise me?!? (The hot rod reference OR the infamy!)

See ya at PPIR!

Gone_Skiing
October 2nd, 2008, 09:45 AM
Just don't let him teach you how to get a campsite at Laguna without a reservation!

fairrpe86
October 2nd, 2008, 03:34 PM
Why not, it worked out well for them, gotta use some different tactics at times. Its the whole adapt and overcome theory.

KipBook
October 2nd, 2008, 08:15 PM
Why does that not surprise me?!? (The hot rod reference OR the infamy!)

See ya at PPIR!

BOTH!!! :lol:

Lincoln, it's not reputation... it's legend!!! :lol: (If anyone wants details, I have many explicit stories!)

Welcome to the crew Lynn! We work hard but in the end we play hard too (mostly because the racers give us free beer :D )... I have pictures to prove it! It sounds like your as hooked as I was ten years ago... and I still am!