PDA

View Full Version : VP fuel

cromer611
September 22nd, 2008, 03:02 PM
I advice that everyone who ran VP this weekend should check their Fuel Pump/ Fuel Filter right away.
fuel pump casualties
-Maranian
-Dragos
-Burr

found contaminants in Rick Grosses filter too.

just a heads up

cromer611
September 22nd, 2008, 03:06 PM
possible change in barrel manufactures?
maybe the company that makes the barrels put a coating on this inside of the barrels, and gas is dissolving it?

did some research and VP refines the gas in company. dunno if they use their own barrels or though a different company.
just a thought

rybo
September 22nd, 2008, 03:08 PM
The race fuel is very hard on the parts in the fuel pump. After every day of using it you should drain your tank, fill with a small quantity of pump gas and run the engine for a few minutes.

u4, when allowed to sit forms a jelly that hardens. We found some of this in my throttle bodies at the last checkup.

If you're using U4E be sure to drain your tank each day.

Scott

dragos13
September 22nd, 2008, 03:12 PM
The race fuel is very hard on the parts in the fuel pump. After every day of using it you should drain your tank, fill with a small quantity of pump gas and run the engine for a few minutes.

u4, when allowed to sit forms a jelly that hardens. We found some of this in my throttle bodies at the last checkup.

If you're using U4E be sure to drain your tank each day.

Scott

Scott, this is great advice however we had an actual bad batch of fuel (or possibly jugs). There were large white chunks floating in the VP gas containers. Your advice is good however this is a major issue as it doesn't seem to be isolated to just one rider. Not to mention, my second fuel pump failed this weekend and it had never seen VP fuel prior to Sunday morning. Died by AmO

Faster Motosports, have we contacted VP to find a resolution to this?

Jon
September 22nd, 2008, 03:26 PM
My advice is for you guys to strain the fuel. I used a funnel with a fine screen and it would actually clog the screen warranting me to clean it after every pour. Apparently VP had a bit of a quality control problem. Bart and Brian are aware of it and are hoping it was just a bad batch. But like I said, I would certainly strain it before using. My screened funnel became quite the hit between those who are aware those who aren't will probably becoming more so in the coming weeks.

Throttleroller277
September 22nd, 2008, 03:26 PM
I know that Brian is looking into the situation.

I too had the bad cans. Brian is pretty sure that it was only the 5 gallon cans, and not in the large drums.

Throttleroller277
September 22nd, 2008, 03:28 PM
Thanks for the funnel use Jon!!!!!! It is/was greatly appreciated!! :D I will be buy a screened funnel before the next Miller round Fo Sho!! 8)

Wahooman
September 22nd, 2008, 03:28 PM
Yep...I know Alan also had his fuel pump go out this weekend too. :shock:

DingleBerns
September 22nd, 2008, 03:32 PM
I as well used a screen but mine is integrated into the hose connected to my vp jug, no funnel needed.

Didn't have an issue...

Dingle

vroomnut
September 22nd, 2008, 06:12 PM
Well, I do not want to jump to any conclusions as I have not had the chance to investigate further, but that would explain the problem that I was having with my bike as well. I did not have any problems during practice as I ran pump fuel. I was able to make it through HWT SS running VP, but by Open SS the bike lost power and was surging in the higher RPM's where I could not ride it. Wasn't sure if it was a fuel pump problem or an ignition/quick shifter problem at that point. Figured I would give it one more try for HWT Endurance. I even cut the VP 50/50 with pump fuel. I made it through the warm up lap okay, even had a pretty good start as I settled in behind Applehans in 2nd on the first lap. Yet by turn 7 or 8 it started losing power and I had to eventually pull off after another lap. %$(&^&)^$!!!!!! :evil:

Please keep us posted as to whether or not there is any recourse with VP over the bad cans of fuel.

Alan
MRA #313

vroomnut
September 22nd, 2008, 06:31 PM
Yep! Just looked at my VP from this weekend further. White chunks/strands are present.

Ray-Ray
September 22nd, 2008, 06:33 PM
Yep! Just looked at my VP from this weekend further. White chunks/strands are present.

Yep! Mine is the same! What a mess!!

Wahooman
September 22nd, 2008, 07:45 PM
Hmmmm....this is pretty intersting. I myself do not run race fuel (dont make the big bucks like everyone else...lol)
I am curious what happens with this. I know for my team mate as well as others I am sure---this causes broken parts, labor charges possibly....etc...
Not to mention the fact of loss races for some, lost contigency $, and loss of points...the list could go on.
Again I dont' have a say in this since I don't even run the stuff unless I steal some from Alan :twisted:
Speaking from the automotive industry I can tell you exactly what has happened numerous times and what the distributor and/or manufact. does when something like this happens-----that being said I will await to see what comes of this.
For those affected---that just plain sucks to put it bluntly. I see where Dingle and Jon strain their fuel, yes good idea...but IMO you shouldn't have to do that when you are paying the price for the fuel. I don't strain my pump gas into my vehicle if I choose to put premium in????

Will be interesting to see what Faster/VP does as I am sure they are not the only distributor affected and how many more cans are like this that were sold or ready to be sold.................

Clarkie
September 22nd, 2008, 08:07 PM
That's why I run R-Tech :wink:

Do a search on the WERA board about VP fuel problems and you see what others found

thedude44
September 22nd, 2008, 08:10 PM
+1 for R-tech.

cromer611
September 22nd, 2008, 08:55 PM
so I count 7 people already that found crap in their fuel. I wonder what VP will do about this.
I would want a new fuel filter/ fuel pump for free from VP personally.

even if the fuel filter is clogged, the pump would burn out. so replacing just a filter may not insure that your pump wont fail later. reminder for those who had bad fuel.

vroomnut
September 22nd, 2008, 09:41 PM
I checked out the WERA forum as Clarkie suggested and we are definitely not the only organization that is having trouble with VP fuels. Hopefully, the gents at Faster can step in to responsibily mitigate the situation. At the very least, I think VP needs to step up and offer some sort of solution to this problem before the Pikes Peak round. I am not holding my breath though....

cromer611
September 22nd, 2008, 11:26 PM
well, if yall are gonna shy away from vp fuel for PPIR, I know that Vickery Motorsports (Iliff&Parker) sells 108 and 114 octane race fuel. not sure on price though but I have been running it all year with no prob.
will update with pricing soon.

Clarkie
September 22nd, 2008, 11:53 PM
errrr........ a high octane fuel (non-oxygenated) isnt going to help, and will actually make less power than pump gas due to the burn speed of the fuel

cromer611
September 23rd, 2008, 12:03 AM
shit, this whole time I thought Rick Grosse was just tellin me that to slow me down : P

benfoxmra95
September 23rd, 2008, 01:59 AM
I run SWPG 91

It's cheap. 4.05 a gallon.

No contaminent issues.

Don't have to drain your tank every day.

makes awesome power!

Safeway Pump Gas 91 that is. :D And i get a .10 cent discount with my safeway card... :shock:

Plus whatever is leftover from the weekend I dump in my truck. :P

chris nami
September 23rd, 2008, 02:09 AM
+1 on the swpf 91! 8) it's what the cool kids use. -JYD

froth
September 23rd, 2008, 06:27 AM
Ben, I thought you had a diesel!

Jon
September 23rd, 2008, 06:59 AM
Well unless he's noticed we'd better not tell him :lol:

benfoxmra95
September 23rd, 2008, 08:27 AM
while were on the topic of fuels and how ridiculously expensive they are and how it's ludicrous to spend $100+ a weekend on just race fuel and how much a pain in th a$$ it is to drain and keep maintenance on.

How would everyone like the club go to a spec fuel, like 91 octane pump gas?

We could leave ROR GTO/open superbike and 2 stroke motorcycles open to race fuel, but the rest of the races would be limited.

Think about it, there's other clubs that do this.

I personally have saved a sh*t ton of money this year by running just pump fuel.

There's absolutely no argument that you have to have it for a milled head on a motorcycle engine either. I have dyno tuned literally over 100+ plus cars with superchargers or turbo chargers on them running on pump fuel. And a car engine has a way less efficient combustion chamber than a bike, read: they build a lot of heat in the combustion process which causes proneness to detonation..

If your milling your heads you can tune the bike for pump fuel just as easy as your tuning it for $12+ a gallon race fuel.

Anyway, it would be easy to police, trust me, all I would have to do is take sniff of the fuel in your tank and it's unmistakable if it's pump or race. and if someone wanted to get nasty, all we'd do is get out the specific gravity kit and test it right there.

The more I think about this the more I think I'm going to go make a rule change submittal for next year so we can kick it around.

Look kids racing isn't getting any cheaper, and If i can save $75 at the track, I'm going to. that's a tank of fuel in my truck.

We all should be thinking about this.

Oh yeah not to mention the fact that the availability of race fuels and getting them into this state is no easy proposistion, and I would venture a guess that we may not even have access to it in the future judging by the economy and the way things are going.

Wild Cheetah 612
September 23rd, 2008, 08:27 AM
We've been finding that stuff in the U4E for quite some time. We've been straining it and can't even fill the tank without clogging the strain so badly that we have to clean it out. At first we thought it was melting our fuel jugs, but it happens straight out of the can.

rybo
September 23rd, 2008, 08:44 AM

Ben,

While I like the idea in theory, VP has an awesome contingency program that almost pays for my race gas over the weekend if I do well, so I could make the argument that the race gas is cheaper (but I have to perform well to get the check)

Just a thought, VP has been one of the most consistent and good contingency providers in the club and I'd hate to see us blow that relationship by making a spec fuel...

s

benfoxmra95
September 23rd, 2008, 08:50 AM
the majority will outweigh you on this, as there's less people making contingency on race fuel than there are those making it.

we need to draw in new racers, and the idea of this in intriguing to outsiders.

there's circle track race series in this part of the country that use pump gas as a spec fuel. It brings in new blood to their sport all the time, because it appears as though the club is trying to make it cost intuitive for the average joe, and not just a rich man's sport.

This idea should not be dismissed becuase 15+ guys are getting their fuel for free.

gsnyder828
September 23rd, 2008, 09:01 AM
I use pump gas... never could see the point of race fuel unless I was within 0.5 - 1 sec/lap from the leaders (which I ain't...). Figure I'll cross that bridge if I ever get there.

Pump gas as a spec fuel? I think it's an interesting idea, but I'm gonna run it either way so it really doesn't save me anything, and somehow I don't think mandating pump gas will slow the guys in front of me as much as I need it to! :x

And frankly, I'll probably pick up more positions from VPs clogged filters and busted fuel pumps than from making everyone run pump gas! :lol:

Brian38
September 23rd, 2008, 09:49 AM
Would anyone who has 5 gal pails of U4E fuel from the weekend (contaminated or unopened) please get in touch with myself or Mike at the shop.

Thanks!

Brian
FASTER Motosports
303-825-0975

phildrummond
September 23rd, 2008, 10:40 AM
I wonder what it would take to get pump gas contingency!

skippy
September 23rd, 2008, 10:44 AM
I'm against spec fuel(but then again i'm not racing yet) if someone feels the need to spend the big bucks then let them is my opinio.

Clarkie
September 23rd, 2008, 10:47 AM
why are you against something that would make racing closer and cheaper? :?

dave.gallant
September 23rd, 2008, 10:56 AM
I'm against spec fuel(but then again i'm not racing yet) if someone feels the need to spend the big bucks then let them is my opinio.

People are spending big bucks already. Spec fuel would not change that, although might provide some relief for those who are disillusioned enough to believe that "Supersport" racing will ever be a level playing field.

rybo
September 23rd, 2008, 11:22 AM
the majority will outweigh you on this, as there's less people making contingency on race fuel than there are those making it.

we need to draw in new racers, and the idea of this in intriguing to outsiders.

there's circle track race series in this part of the country that use pump gas as a spec fuel. It brings in new blood to their sport all the time, because it appears as though the club is trying to make it cost intuitive for the average joe, and not just a rich man's sport.

This idea should not be dismissed becuase 15+ guys are getting their fuel for free.

Not dismissing it, just raising one issue. Pump gas is fine with me, I do the endurance races and practice on it with no problem.

s

Clarkie
September 23rd, 2008, 11:26 AM
FWIW my SS engine runs fine on pump gas, and it wouldnt take much to make my SBK engine run on pump gas either, sure they would both make less power but if everyone is doing the same we are all back to where we were before.

The #1 and #2 fastest guys in ROR-O last year were both on SS bikes, even with Pueblo's 12 mile front straight HP isnt everything :wink:

Ray-Ray
September 23rd, 2008, 11:31 AM
Pueblo's 12 mile front straight HP isnt everything :wink:

LOL! You need to ride an SV then say that!! :lol: :lol:

dave.gallant
September 23rd, 2008, 11:33 AM
Pueblo's 12 mile front straight HP isnt everything :wink:

LOL! You need to ride an SV then say that!! :lol: :lol:

And YOU should ride a 45 HP motard that tops out before start/finish before you say that!!

:lol:

Clarkie
September 23rd, 2008, 11:34 AM
even on the SV or Tard you have 10 turns inbetween the 16 mile long front straight :wink:

dave.gallant
September 23rd, 2008, 11:35 AM
even on the SV or Tard you have 10 turns inbetween the 16 mile long front straight :wink:

But, I am slow in the turns too so that doesn't do me much good.

I guess that means that horsepower is indeed everything! (at least, for some of us. :) )

Clarkie
September 23rd, 2008, 11:37 AM
well the 18 mile front straight wont seem so bad when we turbo you tard! 8)

dave.gallant
September 23rd, 2008, 11:39 AM

YOU HEAR THAT COLORADO CLASS!?!?!!?

Yes, a turbo-charged Honda CRF450!!!

(Whomever finds the remains of my motor outside turn 1, if you could return the leftovers to my pit I would appreciate it. )

Clarkie
September 23rd, 2008, 11:42 AM
KMS Performance is proud to introduce a brand new turbo system for the 2005 Yamaha YFZ450. This turbo system will produce approximately 80 horsepower on a stock engine 8)

motobum
September 23rd, 2008, 03:19 PM
"The #1 and #2 fastest guys in ROR-O last year were both on SS bikes, even with Pueblo's 12 mile front straight HP isnt everything Wink"

"even on the SV or Tard you have 10 turns inbetween the 16 mile long front straight"

"well the 18 mile front straight wont seem so bad when we turbo you tard!"

clarkie im confused... is the front straight a pueblo growing as we speak?!:lol:

marty
September 23rd, 2008, 03:28 PM
KMS Performance is proud to introduce a brand new turbo system for the 2005 Yamaha YFZ450. This turbo system will produce approximately 80 horsepower on a stock engine 8)

hmm, clarkie how handy are you with a grinder and a welder :twisted: i wanna do a wheelie

cromer611
September 23rd, 2008, 06:35 PM

Ben,

While I like the idea in theory, VP has an awesome contingency program that almost pays for my race gas over the weekend if I do well, so I could make the argument that the race gas is cheaper (but I have to perform well to get the check)

Just a thought, VP has been one of the most consistent and good contingency providers in the club and I'd hate to see us blow that relationship by making a spec fuel...

s

they pay so well in contingency cuz they want you to be able to afford a new fuel pump and filter every year.
would rather spend money on pump gas than $200 on a fuel pump IMO :lol:

Scored51
September 23rd, 2008, 08:54 PM

YOU HEAR THAT COLORADO CLASS!?!?!!?

Yes, a turbo-charged Honda CRF450!!!

Bring it baby! I'll beat that with an EX500 every time. 8)

froth
September 25th, 2008, 06:15 AM
Awright, time to build a CR500 ala Chuck!