PDA

View Full Version : Need stronger front brakes - GSXR 600

phildrummond
September 22nd, 2008, 02:08 PM
I have a 2001 GSXR 600 and the front brakes feel great for 2 laps, then fade, but stay the same laps 2-7. The lever comes to my knuckles (I brake 2-finger) so I'm braking earlier than I want to. Turn 1 had my bunghole puckered a few times this weekend.

Stock calipers. Castrol DOT 4 fluid changed every 3 races. Can't remember the pad type but plenty of pad left. Woodcraft steel braided lines. Stock master cylinder. Any advice that doens't involve $1000 after-market parts? Did I mention I'm broke?

Thanks.
Tom - 416

polar x
September 22nd, 2008, 05:46 PM
Try different pads, and clean the rotors. Also make sure the calipers are clean and free to retract. I run Veshra pads. Performance friction makes a few compounds and ferodo makes some good pads too.

Its all personal feel. I tried PF pads and thought they bite too hard. Veshra last me all season and have good feel.

DingleBerns
September 22nd, 2008, 06:15 PM
and bleed them if you haven't already...

Wild Cheetah 612
September 22nd, 2008, 06:37 PM
And make sure your pads aren't glazed. Are they race quality pads or street?

phildrummond
September 23rd, 2008, 09:49 AM
Pads are EBC and are race-type but I don't remember which ones I put in. I think I'm going with a Brembo master and some new pads and fluid. I'll clean the calipers well, as I noticed the rotors were hotter than they should be when I came off the track. They might be dragging slightly.

Wild Cheetah 612
September 23rd, 2008, 12:15 PM
If you're using EBC, make sure they are the HH.

Jon
September 23rd, 2008, 12:35 PM
On the subject of cleaning the rotors, one thing that everyone neglected to add is that among these different pads are different materials. These are distributed onto your rotors. The cleaning process involves honing them (the rotors) fronty and back with a special tool called a hone of all things. This tool is installed into a hand drill and used on the rotors to clean these various compounds off. I believe they are available at Faster Motorsports

JimWilson29
September 23rd, 2008, 12:47 PM
On the subject of cleaning the rotors, one thing that everyone neglected to add is that among these different pads are different materials. These are distributed onto your rotors. The cleaning process involves honing them (the rotors) fronty and back with a special tool called a hone of all things. This tool is installed into a hand drill and used on the rotors to clean these various compounds off. I believe they are available at Faster Motorsports

http://www.flexhone.com/ They work better if you use them with a drill press. You can pick them up for around $30 on Ebay. Just dont let Frank Diranna borrow it or you will get it back with all the dingleberns...I mean dingleballs worn off.